Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
AMD64 system slow/unresponsive during disk access...
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 36, 37, 38  Next  
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64
View previous topic :: View next topic  
likewhoa
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

edf825 wrote:
Well, my Via system is fixed; I haven't tried my other ones yet.

I just went through my kernel, changing things to values that made more sense, mostly in the Processor Type and Features section. (e.g. Multi-core scheduler was enabled when I have only one proc/core)

Also, I found that the driver for my IDE chipset weren't actually in the kernel (Device Drivers => ATA/ATAPI/MFM/RLL support => Generic PCI bus-master DMA support => ...) so I enabled it. :oops:

I don't know which helped it, but now I get absolutely no noticeable lag on disk i/o. :D

Edit: Works great on all my boxen! Strip down them kernels like you've never stripped before! (and, uh, add a bit of weight where necessary too :wink:)

you should not use that whole "Device Drivers => ATA/ATAPI/MFM/RLL support" section and just use what's available in the SATA section which is the prefer way.
Munin
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume there's still no real fix for this problem, right?
I'm currently running gentoo sources 2.6.23-r1, the problem persists, and neither 2.6.22-r8 nor 2.6.22-r9 were any better (faster)

I'm on an Asus Laptop, model Z53J
MB version: F3JM
CPU: Core 2 Duo T5600 (2x 1.83GHz, 2mb cache)
RAM: 2048mb DDR2
HDD: 160GB SATA (according to lspci: Intel Corporation 82801GBM/GHM (ICH7 Family) SATA IDE Controller)

I read that some people experiencing this problem could at least manage to get a responsive system, I tried everything me and a bunch of other people could think of but nothing worked, the results were always the same:
hdparm -tT /dev/hda said/says:
cached reads: around 900 to 1000 MB/sec
buffered disk reads: 1.7 to 1.9 MB/sec

I cannot enable DMA even though "Generic PCI bus-master DMA support" is built-in in the kernel
the drive's standard seems to be PIO 0 (or I messed it up :oops: )

if I can help narroing this problem to a specific chipset or whatever, let me know how (lspci, dmesg,...?)

any help on how I could at least improve this poor performance a little would be appreciated

EDIT: I almost forgot:
dunno if its important, but when I installed Gentoo my harddrive was "/dev/sda", after the installation it suddenly was "/dev/hda", which left me with a kernel panic everytime I tried to boot until I found out and chanced that letter. right now, its still "hda" (which, according to the handbook, shouldn't be the case for a SATA drive)
energyman76b
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Munin wrote:
I assume there's still no real fix for this problem, right?
I'm currently running gentoo sources 2.6.23-r1, the problem persists, and neither 2.6.22-r8 nor 2.6.22-r9 were any better (faster)

I'm on an Asus Laptop, model Z53J
MB version: F3JM
CPU: Core 2 Duo T5600 (2x 1.83GHz, 2mb cache)
RAM: 2048mb DDR2
HDD: 160GB SATA (according to lspci: Intel Corporation 82801GBM/GHM (ICH7 Family) SATA IDE Controller)

I read that some people experiencing this problem could at least manage to get a responsive system, I tried everything me and a bunch of other people could think of but nothing worked, the results were always the same:
hdparm -tT /dev/hda said/says:
cached reads: around 900 to 1000 MB/sec
buffered disk reads: 1.7 to 1.9 MB/sec

I cannot enable DMA even though "Generic PCI bus-master DMA support" is built-in in the kernel
the drive's standard seems to be PIO 0 (or I messed it up :oops: )

if I can help narroing this problem to a specific chipset or whatever, let me know how (lspci, dmesg,...?)

any help on how I could at least improve this poor performance a little would be appreciated

yeah, your kernel config sucks. Generic pci.. is not what you need. Turn off everything in IDE and use the libata PATA driver you find in the SATA section. That way you'll get dma.

I identify as a dirty penismensch.
Munin
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks a bunch, will try that asap
wroemer
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:27 am    Post subject: Remember reference to Bug 7372 at kernel.org Reply with quote

I already mentioned the Bug #7372 at kernel.org. There are interesting news. Maybe people that still have the problem could try the latest tests. See end of following URL:
http://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=7372
leighgiles
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whenever kswapd gets invovled my system becomes very unresponsive.
nlsa8z6zoz7lyih3ap
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 4:47 pm    Post subject: /dev/urandom slow Reply with quote

I notice numerous posts regarding the slowness of SATA disc access with gentoo and64.
I find that too, but I think that the problem goes beyond that.

The command "dd if=/dev/urandom of=/dev/null bs=1024k cont=100" perfomed as follows with an amd64 6000+ and using gentoo's 2.6.23-hardened-r3 kernel

(1) Gentoo AMD64: 2.8 MB/s

(2) Debian Etch AMD64 approx 8 MB/s.

NB BOTH OF THESE TESTS WERE DONE USING THE SAME KERNEL, NAMELY 2.6.23-hardened-r3.

Any one have any ideas about this?
energyman76b
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: /dev/urandom slow Reply with quote

nlsa8z6zoz7lyih3ap wrote:
I notice numerous posts regarding the slowness of SATA disc access with gentoo and64.

The command "dd if=/dev/urandom of=/dev/null bs=1024k cont=100" perfomed as follows with an amd64 6000+ and using gentoo's 2.6.23-hardened-r3 kernel

NB BOTH OF THESE TESTS WERE DONE USING THE SAME KERNEL, NAMELY 2.6.23-hardened-r3.

more noise going into urandom on debian?
different cool'n' quiet settings? (kernel is one thing - cpufrequtils is doing its stuff too)

dd if=/dev/urandom of=/dev/null bs=1024k count=100
100+0 Datensätze ein
100+0 Datensätze aus
104857600 Bytes (105 MB) kopiert, 12,6278 s, 8,3 MB/s

nlsa8z6zoz7lyih3ap
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 3:02 am    Post subject: Re: /dev/urandom slow Reply with quote

Thanks to energyman76b for his reply.

In fact I don't have frequency scaling in the kernel used in this test, but his reply got me to thinking that perhaps the combination of many things, including the way the kernel interacts with everything else might be involved here. Thus I installed a new kernel from gentoo-sources and configured it exactly the same way that the former hardened-sources was, except of course that
it had no grsecurity and pax features.

The result:

(3) Gentoo AMD64 with gentoo-sources kernel: "dd if=/dev/urandom of=/dev/null bs=1024k cont=100" ran at 7.6 MB/s.

Conclusion: This seems to be very sensitive to the way I have configured the fine details of my installation., as so is not really a problem with Gentoo itself.
I shall not be pursuing this any further.

energyman76b wrote:
nlsa8z6zoz7lyih3ap wrote:

more noise going into urandom on debian?
different cool'n' quiet settings? (kernel is one thing - cpufrequtils is doing its stuff too)

dd if=/dev/urandom of=/dev/null bs=1024k count=100
100+0 Datensätze ein
100+0 Datensätze aus
104857600 Bytes (105 MB) kopiert, 12,6278 s, 8,3 MB/s
defenderBG
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see that noone has written in the last 2 months.. so was this issue somewhat resolved? Because I still have it, can someone tell me how to solve the problem? My exams are finally over so i have some time to play with linux now.
engineermdr
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there are several different problems wrapped up in this post. So I'll assume we have the original same problem. I've been with this topic almost since the beginning.

I still have it, although I think it's gotten somewhat better with newer kernels, 2.6.24 in particular. But it seems I've just learned to live with it. :( I know what kind of jobs expose it the most and I make sure to run those only when I'm not doing something interactive.
defenderBG
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well... you are lucky then. What I have as problem is when I try using eclipse. It takes ~350mB, where have only 500mB ram.... the only "solution" is to change kde with fluxbox.
energyman76b
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://marc.info/?l=linux-kernel&m=120300616212651&w=2

Somy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can anybody bitten by this try to mount your filesystems with the "nobarrier" option, and test if this is still happening...

Edit: some precisions...
Just by doing that, timing emerge gentoo-sources has gone from 7 minutes down to 1 min 30 sec (and yes the archives where already downloaded the first time...)
neuron
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Somy wrote:
Can anybody bitten by this try to mount your filesystems with the "nobarrier" option, and test if this is still happening...

Just by doing that, timing emerge gentoo-sources has gone from 7 minutes down to 1 min 30 sec (and yes the archives where already downloaded the first time...)

That's a xfs only option isn't it? I'm on ext3 myself so can't really test that :/, sound nice though :P
Somy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

neuron wrote:
Somy wrote:

That's a xfs only option isn't it? I'm on ext3 myself so can't really test that :/, sound nice though :P

Yes "nobarrier" for xfs, "barrier=0" for ext3, and that's something else for reiserfs...

barriers have been silently made active as a default mount option since 2.6.17 (xfs) and 2.6.18 (reiser, ext3) which correspond to the apparition of this problem...
neuron
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are barriers in the fs? I've done quite a bit of googling and can't really find good documentation on it.
Somy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

neuron wrote:
What are barriers in the fs? I've done quite a bit of googling and can't really find good documentation on it.

contain a simple explanation : http://lwn.net/Articles/54070/

In short it's a "locking" mecanism to force the flush to disk of some data in a certain order (ie the journal has to be written before the actual data to maintain consistency of the fs)...
which is a litle bit contradictory with the NCQ mechanism, hence the big performance drop (I'm just thinking out loud here)

The downside of deactivating barriers is that if your system crash while writing data, the consistency may not be maintained and you may be fsck'd... A risk I'm willing to take here (and the fact that I'm battery backed up just compensate a big portion of that risk)... and remember everybody lived without those till 2.6.18 ...
ttuegel
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Somy wrote:
neuron wrote:

contain a simple explanation : http://lwn.net/Articles/54070/

In short it's a "locking" mecanism to force the flush to disk of some data in a certain order (ie the journal has to be written before the actual data to maintain consistency of the fs)...
which is a litle bit contradictory with the NCQ mechanism, hence the big performance drop (I'm just thinking out loud here)

The downside of deactivating barriers is that if your system crash while writing data, the consistency may not be maintained and you may be fsck'd... A risk I'm willing to take here (and the fact that I'm battery backed up just compensate a big portion of that risk)... and remember everybody lived without those till 2.6.18 ...

I'm giving this a try (I'm using xfs, for the record). This is a good theory and is consistent with the fact that some users are reporting an improvement if they turn off NCQ. We'll see what turns up on my machine.
nexus780
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:41 am    Post subject: Update from 2.6.18-openvz to 2.6.24-gentoo fixed it for me Reply with quote

Hi all,
I was having this problem really really badly and some people suggested updating kernel which I now finally did - it's as if I just spent 500 quid on upgrades. Compare that to what upgrading from XP to Vista does to your PC ;)

Anyways, if anyone is interested my setup is this:
Athlon64@1.1GHz (the cooling is broken so I underclocked it), 1 GB DDR400, Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe with nforce4SLI
500GB+300GB+250GB SATA disks running a RAID5 on 250GB of each drive (just plain md, no lvm or anything like that) and a RAID1 with 50GB each from the 300 and 500. There's also 1G swap on each drive and 100M boot as RAID1. Filesystem is reiserfs.

Example: If I was moving videos between the partitions whilst watching a different video it would freeze frequently for several seconds at a time, often so badly that I simply had to stop it. Even playing mp3s in audacious sometimes cut out, when I was doing big moves I eventually resorted to plugging my phone into the speakers.. Running "free -m" took several seconds.

And wow it's simply fine, just gone magically. Note I didn't set the barrier option people are talking about. I did however take a good look to make sure I only had one driver for each of my (P/S)ATA controllers. I might've had that wrong in 2.6.18.
If you want the configs email me on meh6666@gmail.com, as there are 6 versions difference and I changed from openvz to Gentoo there are of course substantial differences. Also because of that I won't investigate this further myself, but if I can assist with any diagnosis just mail me.

Good luck to anyone who's still having trouble!
sammy2ooo
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To drop in:

I do have the same issues... no 64bit CPU, no SATA drive. I am running 2.6.23-hardened-r4

I have tried several preampt and scheduler combinations but nothings helped.. I dont think that this is related to swaping cause this issues although occurs when my system hasnt swaped any data. There really must be something messed up with the kernel IO scheduler
ttuegel
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To follow up to my previous post:

I tried setting nobarriers on my main partitions (using xfs). The improvement has been very noticable. For example, regenerating metadata cache with paludis no longer takes >10 minutes, as it did continually before, rather, it completes in under 1 minute. This makes sense when you consider the possibility that write barriers and NCQ features may be causing conflict for I/O time.
lagalopex
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ttuegel wrote:
I tried setting nobarriers on my main partitions (using xfs). The improvement has been very noticable.

I set it to barrier=0 for my ext3 partitions and I can confirm, that it helps *a lot*.
More than deactivating NCQ...

Somy wrote:
Yes "nobarrier" for xfs, "barrier=0" for ext3, and that's something else for reiserfs...

For reiser3 its "barrier=none".
For reiser4 its not possible to disable barriers.

Btw, does anybody know if md-raid uses barriers for the "bitmaps"?
EDIT: It seems so... at least raid1 supports barriers for the used filesystem.
energyman76b
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

could you report your findings on lkml?

sammy2ooo
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

for xfs its nobarrier

http://www.linux-magazin.de/heft_abo/sonderheft/2006/04/beschraenktes_schreiben/(offset)/4

See table 1 for the mount options to the corresponding filesystem
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64 All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 36, 37, 38  Next
Page 23 of 38

Jump to: