Laptop switches off unexpectingly
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anardil
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 1:21 pm    Post subject: Laptop switches off unexpectingly Reply with quote

Hi everybody,

I have got a real big problem.
I want to reduce my usage of X-Apps as much as possible and work within the console whenever possible.
Unforunately my laptop seems to have troubles using the radeonfb-module.
It works pretty good, the fonts are displayed correctly, the colors are right, the only thing that does not work is working in console-only mode over 5 minutes as the laptop simply siwtches itself off, without any error-message or anything else that would point into any direction of the failure.
When restarting it again, it does not complain about anything, the disks are mounted readonly and everything startsup correctly.

This problem does not occour if I switch to X. I can work for hours using X.
But as soon as I switch back to console (closing X) I can only pray that the laptop won't switch itself off again.

As it seems to having to do with the garphics-mode or module, I asume that it has to do with the radeonfb-module.

Has anyone a hint why this could be or how I could find out more about the reason of the problem?

Thanks in advance
Philip
pathfinder
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe a temperature/ACPI problem?

cat /proc/battery/thermalmonitor (or similar) gices you the temperature.
Try monitoring it.

also, there might be services lifted with X that you don t have in console mode. Try to see which ones.
(/etc/init.d/ or /etc/runlevels ad the status command could help you there)

The laptop switches off, or the screensaver is not held properly? (sorry for the dumb question)
MostAwesomeDude
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which Radeon do you have? radeonfb is problematic with almost all Radeons, save for a select few (R100/R200s, which are increasingly rare nowadays.)
Anardil
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 6:35 pm    Post subject: [Invalid] Laptop switches off unexpectingly Reply with quote

I am sorry but I did not investigate enough to see that it was not a problem with the radeonfb-module but with the ipw2200 and wpa_supplicant in combination.
When adding the wpa_supplicant as module in my /etc/conf.d/net configfile, the described error occurs, which seems to be connected to the network-address assignment after associating with an AccessPoint.

I am sorry for this unprofessional approach.

As for this new facts I am closing this topic, marking it invalid and do a bit more research.

Sorry for the inconvenience.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: