Big Heads Up after impressive re-acquintance with Gentoo
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
heegs
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 6:28 am    Post subject: Big Heads Up after impressive re-acquintance with Gentoo Reply with quote

Hi All,

I have to admit I hadn't looked at Gentoo for ages. The first time round was a couple of year ago and I wanted to use it as a solid optimization and custimization alternative to FreeBSD in a high-volume ISP. I loved the idea and vision behind it, but at the time it was just too fiddly and beta to use in an environment where way too many customers expected everything to be delivered instantly. Having since then moved back to embedded design (thank god ;-) it stuck in the back of my mind, mainly because of the potentially brilliant buildsystem but in the hustle and bustle never really got round to giving it another serious go to see if it'd fit my needs.
That is, until a telemtry project came along last year that included both "huge" embedded hardware, a P4 based cPCI system with CF card and plenty of RAM making a good introductory target, as well as shore-based Opteron machines, both requiring optimization to the teeth due to the amount of data flowing through the system.
Well, having just finished that one using Gentoo I can safely say I was blown away by the pollish and slickness of the build system and the entire distro in general.
Granted, a couple of years is a long time, but the scalabiliy of the build system beteen hardware platforms and the finesse allowing both the most detialed micro-build-management as well as being lazy for a simple testbuild, setting a few params and letting it run was a breate of fresh air in a world of extremes, where build systems are either completely overcomplicated or largely non-exisiting. I'm impressed and at any rate, wheter it's been a couple of year or not, this is a fine piece of technology that I'll most defnitely be seeing a lot more of again in the future.
Heck, I might even be able to contribute to the embedded effort that's well underway, but first things first and hats off to everyone that enabled Gentoo to evolve as much as it has, art in the making if you ask me ;-)
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yay! I've been saying Gentoo really has improved over the last few years, so it's good to hear it confirmed. Welcome back :-)
NathanZachary

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I briefly used Gentoo back in the day, but I didn't know much of anything about Linux, and abandoned the distro. Now that I have invested the time to learn, I have found no other distribution that is as comfortable and extensible as Gentoo. I'm glad to hear that you gave it another try, and that you were impressed. The developers around here are definitely top-notch. :)
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kalos wrote:
The developers around here are definitely top-notch. :)

So is the user community, as well ;p
heegs
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think with it's current abundance of good documentation (the handbook being a prime example) it's probably one of the best ways for Linux newbies to install Linux while actually learning and picking up how it works under the hood. Most modern distro's strive too much to be the next windows, automagically doing everything leaving a huge stream of largely clueless Linux "users" in there wake. Perhaps there's something to be said for either approach but with default security policies on a lot of those distros being extremelyn weak as well, it's usually another bot-net and large scale DDoS attack waiting to happen while there's no considerable inroads into MS dominance on the desktop anyway. I'd say let Apple try and take on the desktop with BSD/Darwin based OSX and focus on more technically sane Linux environments (like Gentoo) for more advanced technical use, servers, embedded space, etc.
In any case, I don't want to get involved in another yes or no on beating MS and Linux on the desktop religious war, but I'd be far happier if more people took the time to REALLY learn Linux through tools like Gentoo that still take away the steepest parts of the learning curve without dumbing Linux and new users down too much. Compared to pre-0.97 kernel days, it should be easy for anyone with a bit of computer knowledge, half a brain and some patience.

My .02 euro anyway ;-)
NathanZachary

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

steveL wrote:
kalos wrote:

That goes without say! This community helped me so many times with problems during and after installation, I can't even count them all!
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kalos wrote:
steveL wrote:
kalos wrote:

That goes without say! This community helped me so many times with problems during and after installation, I can't even count them all!

Yeah that's what keeps me with Gentoo :-)
c8a7w
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the community is great. i can never explain it to other linux users they simply say it takes to long to install packages from source for gentoo to be worthwhile

they dont know what they are missing!
NathanZachary

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

c8a7w wrote:
the community is great. i can never explain it to other linux users they simply say it takes to long to install packages from source for gentoo to be worthwhile

You can't convince everyone, and Gentoo is not the best choice for all individuals either!
c8a7w
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kalos wrote:
c8a7w wrote:

You can't convince everyone, and Gentoo is not the best choice for all individuals either!

i know, but i cant seem to explain how helpfull this board has been to me, if somebody has tried it and says no thanks im cool with that.

had a big discussion with one of my lecturers about different distros communities.
djdunn
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the BSD ports and Portage work very much alike, thats why i came from BSD to gentoo linux
“Music is a moral law. It gives a soul to the Universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, a charm to sadness, gaiety and life to everything. It is the essence of order, and leads to all that is good and just and beautiful.”

― Plato
d2_racing
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

djdunn wrote:
the BSD ports and Portage work very much alike, thats why i came from BSD to gentoo linux

In fact the Idea behind portage is from the ports :)

Also, I like the community here, because there is not RTFM :twisted: And I like that for sure :P

Last edited by d2_racing on Thu Mar 06, 2008 2:23 am; edited 1 time in total
NathanZachary

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

d2_racing wrote:
djdunn wrote:

In fact he Idea behind portage is from the ports :)

Also, I like the community here, because there is not RTFM :twisted: And I like that for sure :P

Thank all things holy there isn't the RTFM mentality. With so many manuals related to Gentoo and to Linux in general, it seems moot to say it in the first place. ;)
Malakai
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also recently started using Gentoo again after several years away, and I too love how it has evolved.

Still all the great advantages from before, with simpler portage configs and more intuitive features.

I love how gentoo focuses largely on constantly improving their CLI programs rather than shove GUI's down our throats. System administration is just so much easier from bash.
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Malakai wrote:
I love how gentoo focuses largely on constantly improving their CLI programs rather than shove GUI's down our throats. System administration is just so much easier from bash.

Speaking of which, let me know what you two think of update; it'd be good to hear from old-time Gentooers ;-) Especially stuff you think should go in /etc/warning.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: