Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Any other thecus n2100 owners out there?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vlad
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 1:02 pm    Post subject: Any other thecus n2100 owners out there? Reply with quote

I recently picked up a Thecus N2100 through work and immediately wanted to reflash it after seeing the crappy web interface.

The last couple of weeks I've done some basic googling for information on it and found out that a Debian firmware update already exists for it - check here for excellent how-to documentation on installing Debian. I know the CPU is an Intel IOP 80219 which is ARM-based and the system uses the RedBoot bootloader which is capable of loading kernel and initramfs images via tftp. It even has a serial port on the SATA backplane. What I pretty much don't know is how to get a rootfs built and flashed onto the device, or how to cross compile the system and kernel (although I've already started reading the Gentoo Embedded Handbook which discusses this).

So I guess my question is this: has anyone else purchased one of these and interested in trying to get Gentoo on it? I know I'm not the first person to ask this question, but Google and the forums are depressingly barren on the subject...
Appleman1234
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently purchased a Thecus N1200 and may opt to install Gentoo on it :), but I haven't decided yet on which course of action to take. Either I backport the v4l and dvb models to current kernel and use the current hacked debian install or I install a new kernel with the debian install or I upgrade the kernel and install Gentoo or Debian on it and then ensure that the device has same functionality with the different Linux distribution. (ie copying all the vendor made scripts and apache setup and ensuring all binaries that the functionality requires are installed via portage and the scripts are pointing to the correct versions).

How are you going with it ?
mark_alec
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved from Gentoo Chat to Gentoo on Alternative Architectures.
Redhatter
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Appleman1234 wrote:
I recently purchased a Thecus N1200 and may opt to install Gentoo on it :), but I haven't decided yet on which course of action to take.

Heh... well, just getting into that Debian distro on there was fun enough the other day.
(For those looking at this thread... Appleman1234 and I attend the same university.)

That said, Vlad, by the sounds of things the N2100 is a quite different beast, to the N1200. A dyslexic's nightmare no less.

Gentoo/MIPS Cobalt developer, Mozilla herd member.
Appleman1234
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I currently have a working Gentoo Chroot on the N1200. I am going upclock the CPU and maybe modify the kernel when I get a serial cable.
The N2100 is a different beast running ARM and Redboot however there is a user on the kuroobox that has gentoo on his n2100. I would have a look at the debian n2100 install instructions, if I were you and check that user's page on the kuroobox wiki.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: