Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Help distro Question....
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Duplicate Threads
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SeanOchoa
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2002 9:18 pm    Post subject: Help distro Question.... Reply with quote

so.... hers the story

I tried RH 7.2

it was good

but it sucked in that it didn't give me a list of programs which I wanted
to install. :evil:

I am looking for a better distro that has the following qualities

SECURE

Only installs programs and/or Windows managers which I desire.

STABLE
If you haven't noticed, the idea behind computers has gotten way out of hand. One has to realize that they were created in the firt place to make life easier... if they aren't, then there is something that needs to change.
lk42pro
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2002 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmm you are in the gentoo forum, that only makes me think that you want to give it a try?gentoo is pretty fast, got a emerge that can help you install whatever you want, and you can use the USE variable to not install stuff you don't want...
squanto
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2002 12:51 am    Post subject: go for it Reply with quote

Gentoo is great!
I also had been using RH 7.2 for a while, and now I am running Gentoo.
I am newer to Linux, but Gentoo isn't that hard to get going, and if by customize you mean that you want only the software you want, then Gentoo is right up your lane.
You only have to install the stuff you want, cause "out of the box" Gentoo is just the bash and support for network and some of your hardware. You have to install drivers for video, sound and anything else you want, but only if you want to, and then you have the choice of any of the window managers out there, along with what ever other software you want.
I am running KDE3, xmms, slypheed, cdbakeoven, nfs utils, and galeon, and that is about it.
You only have to install what you want, and the dependencies.
On a fast machine it only takes about 7 hours to compile all of kde3 with Xwindows, so if you install and leave it overnight, you should have a nice kde desktop in the morning, or you can go with fluxbox / icdwm and probably have a nice window manager in about a few minutes.

If you are interested, go for it, the people here in teh forums are nice and are more than glad to help you out.

-Andrew
fghellar
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2002 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

(This thread was marked as a duplicate of https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=1239.)
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Duplicate Threads All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: