[LDOMs] Installing gentoo in a LDOM
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Possum
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 6:36 pm    Post subject: [LDOMs] Installing gentoo in a LDOM Reply with quote

Hello SPARC lovers.

I'm planning to install Gentoo on a LDOM hosted by a T5220. I just want to show what a real distro to my boss :)

I've found some infos about ubuntu googling the web, but nothing about our preferred distro.

Is there someone who achieve to do this ? And, how ? How can I boot without a CD ?

Is some specifics option to enable in the kernel fond thin kind of hardware ?

Thanks in advance :)

Sauvez les arbres, mangez un castor !
rlittle
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should have access to that hardware soon, but not yet. I do know (well... think) that you should be able to boot your domains off an .iso file, so you shouldn't *need* a CD.

I set up Xen on my amd64 box once (I got an OS to boot) and then gave up. I don't know what these new systems look like yet. Last I heard was that the 'hypervisior' (Dom0?) was in the firmware of the box. Is that true?

Does it give you the ability to emulate x86 hardware for your LDOM, or will you have to install Gentoo for SPARC? I've never dug hard enough to get a straight answer from Sun.

Go Gentoo!!! :twisted:
blu3bird
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: [LDOMs] Installing gentoo in a LDOM Reply with quote

Possum wrote:
I've found some infos about ubuntu googling the web, but nothing about our preferred distro.

In that case just take the ubuntu cd, boot it and use their (very very basic) busybox rescue shell to install gentoo cause the 2007.0 installcd won't do the job since you need a kernel >=2.6.23 to access the virtuel hard drive. But i think the latest ubuntu sparc cd uses 2.6.22 so you'll probably have to create a custom livecd first and use that to install gentoo.

Possum wrote:

You'll probably need CONFIG_SUN_LDOMS, CONFIG_SUNVDC and CONFIG_SUNVNET. Maybe this site helps.

rlittle wrote:
Does it give you the ability to emulate x86 hardware for your LDOM, or will you have to install Gentoo for SPARC? I've never dug hard enough to get a straight answer from Sun.

no x86, sparc64 only
Possum
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: [LDOMs] Installing gentoo in a LDOM Reply with quote

blu3bird wrote:
Possum wrote:

In that case just take the ubuntu cd, boot it and use their (very very basic) busybox rescue shell to install gentoo cause the 2007.0 installcd won't do the job since you need a kernel >=2.6.23 to access the virtuel hard drive. But i think the latest ubuntu sparc cd uses 2.6.22 so you'll probably have to create a custom livecd first and use that to install gentoo.

The problem is that I can't attache directly the DVD reader to a LDOM except the master domain.

So mayby using a lofi to mount directly an iso and then making a vdisk (virtual disk) attached to the LDOM. Boot it using boot vdisk1 in the OBP of the domain. Another solution coul'd be to use a boot net command, but I never made a TFTP server for Solaris, except with SUNWJet, and I don't really see how can I do this for a gentoo...

blu3bird wrote:
Possum wrote:

You'll probably need CONFIG_SUN_LDOMS, CONFIG_SUNVDC and CONFIG_SUNVNET. Maybe this site helps.

Again, this talking about buntu, but, i'll will see. I already know the Fabbionne and Miller's blogs listed here. and I found nothing really usable for gentoo. But, I'll try and i'll succeed !

blu3bird wrote:
rlittle wrote:

no x86, sparc64 only

Yep, only SPARC on SPARC machine. And the Hypervisor is directly in the firmware of the T1000, T2000 and T52XX. Any recent version of the firmware shoul'd give you access to LDOMs after you install the LDOM package. More infos at this address

PS: Xcuse my bad english, I'm a French guy :)

Possum
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bringing up this thread to give some news about my tests.

Today, I tried to install at least a Linux distro on a LDom. Here are the results:

Forget about using a lofi to mount the CD, this is unsupported

One of the hardest thing was to have the name of my LDom for the tftp server. My first snoop use today ;) And, wow, my LAN is really over polluted by windows boxes :p

I can't achieve to use the tftp boot image provided on the mirrors nor the one founded in this thread. Each time, my LDoms insults me about a strange Trap error or something like this. I'm at home now, so I can't give the exact error.

So, I tried to install the evil ubuntu* and it stops trying to install SILO on the disk. The disk used is actually a file made with mkfile and patched with the little util wrote by Alexandre Chartre.

Well, tomorrow, I need to work, and I'll give a try later :)

Stay tuned.

*ubuntu: old African word that means: We'll spread around the world like a virus making people think GNU/Linux is good for lamers and script-kiddies !

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: