View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ryan.merck
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 2:08 am    Post subject: Hello from a new Gentoo user! Reply with quote

Hello, my name is Ryan Merck. I am a new Gentoo user. I've been using Linux for a couple years now, and after becoming bored with Fedora and Ubuntu, I decided a couple of weeks ago that I wanted more of a challenge in my operating system. So
I switched to Slackware. I had some trouble with installing and configuring it, but got it working eventually.

I didn't really have a problem with Slackware, I was content in tinkering with configuration settings and the like, but I still wanted a challenge, and I was appaled with the deplorable state of Slackware forums and how ruthlessly they are trolled.

Since I felt I could no longer depend on forums and support base to get quick answers for my questions, I decided to get on the hunt for a new Linux distro. A few friends of mine on a gun forum had talked about how ridiculously difficult Gentoo is to install and streamline for performance. And in remembering that, the first thing that I went to do was check out the support forums. I have been very impressed, I've seen alot more people reaching out to fellow Gentooers in need. And with that in mind, I decided to take the plunge.

Four days ago, I downloaded the minimal install cd, coming to the conclusion that I was already set to see a difficult operating system through until my satisfaction, and I didn't want to take the easy way out (it didn't help reading all the bugs about the GUI installer anyway).

I've compiled this kernel 6 times in the last 4 days. I've screwed my system up, and configured it in such a way that it would not boot. I've started from scratch each time, following the x86 handbook, and reading a plethora of documentation. I've manually configured the kernel, I've genkerneled the kernel and I've slept a total of 16 hours in the last 4 days (on vacation so no work to be done right now), buried my hands in my face, moaned in agony, brought to the edge of tears by grief and frustration.

But here I am. I have my fully functional and minimal Gentoo 2.6.23-r6 kernel optimized for my system. My total boot time (minus the 5second time out from grub) is 39 seconds, and all of my hardware works fine.

I had a couple things working against me for this install. I only have one computer, and my internet connection comes from a Verizon Wireless PC5750 EVDO card. My entire install has been over EVDO, and my first major hurdle was connecting to the internet (sure is different writing a script from scratch as opposed to relying on kpppd!).

Anyhoo, here I am, with a perfectly simple system. I post to you all on my EVDO connection using my links browser while I wait the seemingly endless kde emerge.

I just wanted to say, as frustrated and furious I have been in the last 4 days. I have learned more about the internals and workings of Linux than I have in my entire experience of using it. I am thankful that I have had this opportunity to learn this wealth of information, and if I had to do it all over again... I'll just chroot after mke2fsing some partitions :-)

You haven't seen the last of me, I forsee many problems that I may have as I update my installation and emerge more software into it. But I'm here to stay. And having a blast doing it.
SLBMEH
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 2:32 am    Post subject: Re: Hello from a new Gentoo user! Reply with quote

Welcome.

ryan.merck wrote:
I've compiled this kernel 6 times in the last 4 days. I've screwed my system up, and configured it in such a way that it would not boot. I've started from scratch each time, following the x86 handbook, and reading a plethora of documentation. I've manually configured the kernel, I've genkerneled the kernel and I've slept a total of 16 hours in the last 4 days (on vacation so no work to be done right now), buried my hands in my face, moaned in agony, brought to the edge of tears by grief and frustration.

Most of us have been there. I actually don't know anyone who hasn't.

If you feel up to it later, try the no longer supported stage1 install. There's a guide that can be found for it on gentoo-wiki.org. It can take days. It's a bit more challenging, and it requires you to know a little bit more to solve some of the common problems.
poly_poly-man
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look out for expat!!!! :D

Welcome aboard, mate! What kind of hardware you got going for ye?

That KDE build is a bitch, but if you let it run overnight, and especially if you have decent hardware like me (:D ), it's fine.

poly-p man

avatar: new version of logo - see topic 838248. Potentially still a WiP.
Unne
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 2:44 am    Post subject: Re: Hello from a new Gentoo user! Reply with quote

Welcome. Thankfully you shouldn't have to go through an install from scratch again for a long time, if you manage your system wisely.

SLBMEH wrote:
Most of us have been there. I actually don't know anyone who hasn't.

Yep. Been there.
ryan.merck
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

poly_poly-man wrote:
Look out for expat!!!! :D

Welcome aboard, mate! What kind of hardware you got going for ye?

That KDE build is a bitch, but if you let it run overnight, and especially if you have decent hardware like me (:D ), it's fine.

poly-p man

Thank-you! I am using an older laptop (I've only got a couple hundred bucks left to save before I buy a ThinkPad). It is a Gateway with AMD Athlon XP... 2.2ghz I believe, 512mb ram, 80gb, Ati Radeon Mobility, DVD-RW.

I'm currently on package 143 of 158.

Btw, since I've done emerge kde, does that automatically emerge X?
poly_poly-man
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ryan.merck wrote:
I've only got a couple hundred bucks left to save before I buy a ThinkPad)

Gawd, OTW at least loves this guy already!!! :D

Yeah, KDE pulls in X as a dependency. Check to make sure that you're compiling the right vid modules, etc tho. There's a guide on the wiki somewhere.

And always, ALWAYS revdep-rebuild when you're done!!!

poly-p man

(and never NEVER emerge --depclean!!!!)

The Unknown
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
:lol: Yup, me too
Welcome to Gentoo. :)
ssitar05
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 3:45 am    Post subject: Re: Hello from a new Gentoo user! Reply with quote

ryan.merck wrote:

LOL, I must say that it is interesting to read stuff like this right here! I am currently in the same boat. I can't actually say that I have used Linux for several years. In fact it has been several years since I have even touched Linux... Last time I messed with it I believe I was running a 433Mhz Intel Proc, an 8 GB hard drive, used a 56K modem, and I think the Kernel was 2.4.something!!! LOL And my only knowledge of using Linux was the GUI installation from Debian or Suse. Things sure have moved along really quick in the last couple of years, and I must say, I feel like I'm behind the times trying frantically to catch up. Thus, I can sympathize with you about the complexity of installing Gentoo, and I can offer this as an encouragement... Just imagine how accomplished you and I are going to feel once we get this dang thing installed!! LOL Anyways, look forward to seeing you on "the other side"..... Of the install that is!!!
kicker69101
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm on my ~20th rebuild of my kernel. I guess thats what I get for remove first, ask questions later.

Welcome! :)

and yes the world is going to end!
lightvhawk0
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember the nights of ordering pizza, and drinking all the dew that I can afford and installing gentoo with a few friends. It was an endless task, forums were my a great asset. Now I contribute when I can, and it's been great. I've learned the most from gentoo and freebsd than all the years of using windows/dos/mac os'es

With all that said welcome
Workaphobia
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know that I'd make my gentoo installs out to be quite *that* grueling. It always takes me a while to configure a kernel, but I've done it a couple times on identical hardware so I don't run into too many problems. We'll see if that becomes a major issue when I finally upgrade to something newer than 6 years old.

I am fond of saying that I use gentoo because I'm a masochist, but every time I make a fresh install and emerge kde-base/kdebase-startkde, and see that desktop environment as blank as fresh snow, I'm reminded why I do it.

poly_poly-man wrote:
(and never NEVER emerge --depclean!!!!)

Best way to keep a healthy system:
emerge -uDNav world
emerge --depclean -a
Check for any obvious mistakes, update /var/lib/portage/world if necessary, then follow through
revdep-rebuild -- -av
poly_poly-man
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Workaphobia wrote:
emerge --depclean -a

no no NO NO NO NO NO!!!!!!

make that -a a -p and you should be good. Pretend depclean, then remove ONLY WHAT YOU WANT!!!! DO IT BY HAND!!!!

I've seen tons of people who have managed to remove (accidentally, probably) binutils, init, etc.

poly-p man

kernelOfTruth
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

poly_poly-man wrote:
Workaphobia wrote:
emerge --depclean -a

make that -a a -p and you should be good. Pretend depclean, then remove ONLY WHAT YOU WANT!!!! DO IT BY HAND!!!!

I've seen tons of people who have managed to remove (accidentally, probably) binutils, init, etc.

poly-p man

++

&&

a warm welcome to ryan.merck :)

Hardcore Gentoo Linux user since 2004 :D
d2_racing
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome :)
NathanZachary

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to Gentoo. As said, we have all been through the trials and tribulations of installing Gentoo, and then chrooting back into the installation environment to yet again, recompile a kernel or reconfigure grub, et cetera. It can be quite frustrating, but the end result is a deep understanding of your computer, and Linux. If you need any help along the way, the community here is fantastic. :)
d2_racing
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, the installation process in indeed an experience :)
nutbar21
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first time was a stage 1. It took 3 tries in ~5 days :D

Welcome to the fold!
seqizz
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:37 am    Post subject: :\ Reply with quote

Wellcome to hell :twisted:

Add me to the list, which named "kernel mads" :)

not first time for me, but a turn-back after 3 years..
i'm still compiling the kernel, i didn't count.. 5.. or more.. Thanks to my attansic ethernet card which is using "atl1" & 2.6.24 kernel.. i think this time i'll success, because trying upgrading over sabayon..
i love gentoo, it teachs :wink:
i'll count the seconds too, will come.. : )

sorry for english but you get it, huh? :roll:
kernelOfTruth
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Wellcome to hell :twisted:

hm, it's not that bad, I'd rather say:

"Welcome to the REAL world, now let's see how deep the penguin hole really goes" :wink:

Quote:
sorry for english but you get it, huh? :roll:

seqizz, your English is great :!: I wish I was able to talk/write Turkish at that level :)

Hardcore Gentoo Linux user since 2004 :D
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ryan.merck,

Welcome to gentoo.

Even old hands mess up things sometimes. There are a few rules of thumb to help you on your way.

1. Don't Panic :)
2. When it breaks, have a way to go back
3. Make it work first, make it faster/prettier/better after.
4. Keep at least one old working kernel, just in case.
5. Reinstalling won't fix it, its just another opportunity to make a different mistake

Above all, have fun.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
d2_racing
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you box will be up and running, just to a Stage 4 or a Stage 5 backup :)
Ctrl+Alt+Del
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

poly_poly-man wrote:
Workaphobia wrote:
emerge --depclean -a

poly-p man

Used depclean two days ago for the first time... it removed 271 of my 1191 installed packages and it worked like a charm, not a single fault. Everything dandy here...
marcus0263
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ctrl+Alt+Del wrote:
poly_poly-man wrote:
Workaphobia wrote:
emerge --depclean -a

poly-p man

Used depclean two days ago for the first time... it removed 271 of my 1191 installed packages and it worked like a charm, not a single fault. Everything dandy here...

Run depclean once a month and immediately run revdep-rebuild afterwards, keeps things nice and tidy ;)
Gentoo Powered
wuzzerd
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome.

I started using Linux a few months before W95 came out. :lol: Thought I knew a lot and I guess I did, until I started using Gentoo about 3 years ago.

Someday I'll read all of NeddySeagoon's posts. ;)
NathanZachary

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wuzzerd wrote:
Someday I'll read all of NeddySeagoon's posts. ;)

Someday? You mean some year? ;)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: