Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Do not discuss cracked software on these forums
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2002 12:36 am    Post subject: Do not discuss cracked software on these forums Reply with quote

Subject line pretty much says it all. Regardless of what your personal opinions are about using warez, crackz or whatever, please do not discuss them here. These forums reside in the US of A, which is an inherently litigious society. We Americans love to sue anyone for just about any reason.

Let's not bring down a lawsuit on these poor little forums, OK? We didn't compile the anti-lawsuit option into the kernel for performance reasons so we're not in a position to fight one should it come along. :)

--kurt
Syntaxis
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2002 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting...
Okay, I'm not about to discuss any cracked software, but I'm interested in what the legal standpoint on this actually is.
I'm aware I may be treading a fine line here, but hey... Stay your itchy trigger fingers, moderators, if you please. :-)
Are cracks actually illegal? And if so, under what ruling?
I'd always assumed that, provided one's purchased a copy of the software, the use of a crack was perfectly sound, both legally and ethically.
Especially since you sometimes need a crack to ensure that the backup copies of your game will actually run... Or that the game will run under WineX.
I find it odd that highly popular sites like GameCopyWorld would be based in Europe and North America if the legal situation were so uncertain and so dire.
Besides... don't the forums have the standard: "Comments are property of the poster, we accept no responsibility for their content." clause?

For the record: I don't condone software piracy. I purchased every game in my possession.
I'm simply curious. :-)
Everything I just said is my own opinion, and may be complete and utter bullshit. If so, please correct me and set the record straight.
I eagerly await clarification on this contentious issue.
delta407
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2002 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Legally, it's a grey area. People have gotten off the hook, and people have been thrown in jail. The bottom line is that whether it's illegal or not, the folks behind Gentoo could get sued, which is a battle they don't have the resources to fight.
wulvyrn
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2002 8:28 pm    Post subject: legal or not? if in doubt... remove all posts relating to.. Reply with quote

any games which run under a crack should be removed from this forum.

note: i own games which run under linux which need a no-cd crack.

my 2 cents.
neuron
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2002 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

delta407 wrote:
Legally, it's a grey area. People have gotten off the hook, and people have been thrown in jail. The bottom line is that whether it's illegal or not, the folks behind Gentoo could get sued, which is a battle they don't have the resources to fight.

nobody has been thrown in jail for cracking / using cracks.

it's heavily in discussion atm, but currently no law agency will take action against anyone using or making cracks aslong as they own the product.

Info given to me by a good friend of mine who works for that internet task force, I can't remember what they are called atm, but I'll look it up later :) (their prime work is hunting down child abusers and such).
gsfgf
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2002 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cracks are legal b/c of fair use laws as long as you own the game. Thats not what he means. He is saying no asking about illegal games. Im sure if you use a nocd crack for a game you own its OK, but to be on the safe side i'd not mention that here
klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2002 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Folks -- we're not going to get into the fine-grained details about fair use and cracks. We're simply going to avoid discussing them. Whether or not anyone has ever been tossed in jail is similarly irrelevant. ISP feeds have been shut off, lawsuits have been filed and other Very Unpleasant things have occured.

So, we're just going to avoid the whole subject, m'kay? :)

--kurt
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: