View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
seang
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2002 10:28 am    Post subject: OpenOffice (binary) help!! Reply with quote

Until recently, I was running OpenOffice-bin fine under gentoo. However since some emerge or other in the past few weeks, whenever I run it I get the dreaded dialog box with:

"An unrecoverable error has occurred... etc etc" just after the splash screen, and before anything else.

I've done all the usual tricks: deleting the user-side of the install, running it as root (also fails), I've even stuffed the just-released oo 1.0.1 onto the system (manual, not emerged).

Ran strace to looks for clues, every damn thing I can think of!! Searched openoffice.org, googled to death... nothing.

Short of zapping the entire system and going back to square one (and losing days and days of emerged installs) how the heck can I trouble-shoot this further?

I'm really at a loss as to what to try.

Anyone?!
gtroland
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2002 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you get that "unrecoverable error" message, is it in a dialog box asking if you want to restart the last document you were working on? OO does crash from time to time, but it does a pretty good job of recovering the document it crashed on. If this is the situation you are in, all you have to do is click yes and you are back in business.

- GTR -
seang
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2002 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This one finishes: "All modified files have been saved and can probably be recovered at program restart"

Which is less than useful, as the program can't be restarted, as every time it does, I get this!! No, this is not an occasional OO crash, this is a 100% OO failure to run... Ugh.
wes33
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2002 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I expect you've tried this but ... have your removed
the .sversionrc file from your home dir?
seang
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2002 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, fully cleaned everything (.sversionrc, .user60.db, all the local OpenOffice* stuff) EVERYWHERE!!

I'm really stumped - makes me realise that a significant shortcoming of Open/Star Office is that it has no useful error reporting/debug to speak of. It's none too smart for a program to crash out with a vague message, but no detailed log, core file, or whatnot...

Hence my attempts to strace the program, but it's very very hard to see what in that might be significant and what's not...

Very frustrating!!
gbevin
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2002 7:26 am    Post subject: Same here Reply with quote

I have the same problem and even when doing a manual install of v1.0.1 and removing every possible setting file it continues to persist. It's as if Gentoo has some incompatible library installed.
Before OO was working on my laptop but somewhere in the recent emerge updates it went bad too and now shows the same error message. Extremely frustrating, I can't access my invoices anymore ... gotta do them under windows now.
wes33
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2002 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might try installing a different version. If you look in
mandrake's cooker unsupported files, you'll find an rpm
of openoffice that will install in /usr/lib (the install might take
some tweaking and nodeps). If that works, you'll
at least have a working oo and may learn something.
What's more, it will look way better -- the rpm version
I'm talking about uses the system freetype libraries instead
of oo's own and the fonts look much better ...

Just a desperate suggestion ...
seang
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2002 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the ideas wes33 - I might or might not try an rpm version - you never know!

Interesting from gbevin... I'm not alone!! So it seems more likely that it's a recent thing due to some emerge or other (in the last week or so...) Of course the question is what's causing it, and why do so few (me and gbevin!) see it?

I'm going to keep digging - got to get it fixed!!

I might poke about on OpenOffice.org and see if there are any clearly stated dependencies, re libs, that might give a clue as to where to start looking...
chrisjs
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2002 3:40 pm    Post subject: Same problem here Reply with quote

I'm having the same problem here. Tried installing openoffice-bin and also tried openoffice.org's pre-built 1.0.1 binary. I start soffice and get that same error message, nothing printed on the console. (Other than "Aborted" once I acknowledge the error box.)

I am able to start spadmin. I removed the fonts there but still no luck. I'm at a loss on how to diagnose this problem, too.
io333
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2002 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just built a fresh new system and I can't get either openoffice or openoffice-bin to emerge. They both halt the install at various places with different weird messages.
io333
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2002 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry!!! The binary installed OK. I'm just an idiot. My bad.

But I'd rather compile an optimized version. That's still a no-go.

BTW, the fonts look TERRIBLE.
seang
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2002 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha. Very close to solving this one!!!!

- Ran /opt/OpenOffice.org1.0.1/program/soffice.bin and confirmed that even sans all the startup scripts, the fault still occurred - It does.

- Then ran the same under gdb, and watched where it really barfed:

(gdb) r
Starting program: /opt/OpenOffice.org1.0.1/program/soffice.bin
[New Thread 1024 (LWP 18953)]
[New Thread 2049 (LWP 18954)]
[New Thread 1026 (LWP 18955)]
[New Thread 2051 (LWP 18956)]
[New Thread 3076 (LWP 18957)]
[New Thread 4101 (LWP 18958)]

Program received signal SIGBUS, Bus error.
[Switching to Thread 1024 (LWP 18953)]
0x43f52834 in __bam_read_root () from /opt/OpenOffice.org1.0.1/program/libdb-3.2.so

- Slight diversion: noticed that emerge -s db shows sys-libs-db as Installed = 4.1.14 and Latest = 3.2.9. Alas useless Changelog, so no clues. Unmerged it, back to 3.2.9. Still no joy.

- Then pondered why soffice was trying to use the library libdb-3.2.so in its own hierarchy, when I appear to have a fine and dandy libdb-3.2.so in /usr/lib

- Then also pondered the mystery of why gentoo never appears to set LD_LIBRARY_PATH.

- Set LD_LIBRARY_PATH to /lib:/usr/lib:/opt/OpenOffice.org1.0.1/program

- Hey!!! I can run soffice.bin

- Slight bit of messing still required - As a normal user, set LD_LIBRARY_PATH as above, and ran my local soffice startup script. Stills fails. Obviously need to set LD_LIBRARY_PATH in the startup somewhere.

- Will post exactly where best to do so tomorrow (tired - bed beckons) but this is 99% fixed. Just tidying up required. And working out why most people don't see it!!
seang
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2002 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, here's what works for me. It may not be best, but it works for me!! (n.b. using 1.0.1, but I'm sure

- export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib:/lib:/opt/OpenOffice.org1.0.1/program/

- In the startup script /opt/OpenOffice.org1.0.1/program/soffice at line 161 (assume this is standard - it's where this script sets up it's own LD_LIBRARY_PATH for Linux) change the order to LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:"$sd_progsub":"$sd_prog" (i.e. use my env-defined path first, only then use open-office supplied libs).

Not fully tested, but seems to do the trick. (and yes, it's not 100% tidied - e.g. I assume that the env defined path doesn't need the ref to OpenOffice/program, etc. but this is what I tested, and this is what works. A reduced, neater version is up to the individual!!!!!)

Hope this helps someone else too.
AlterEgo
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2002 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all your suggestions Seang,
but it did not work for me (OOo 1.0).
This is the third time this has happened to me now :(
Any other suggestions?
seang
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2002 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shame... :-(

In a post a couple above, I outlined how I ran the soffice.bin under gdb, and that gave me the break to see what was going wrong. Have you tried that? Since OO seems loathe to produce any sort of useful diagnostic output, it seems like the only way to see into it. Try that and post back here and let's see if we can't crack it!
AlterEgo
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2002 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the support Seang!
You certainly put me in the right direction, and, finally, I got it right :D

Step by step:
* Emerge unmerge openoffice-bin (1.0)
* Purged .sversionrc, .user60.db, all the local OOo stuff
* Emerge Openoffice-bin (1.0) as root
* Install OOo as user (JRE=/opt/blackdown-jdk-1.3.1/jre)
* Ran it -> unrecoverable error
* Ran /opt/OpenOffice-1.0.0/program/soffice.bin as root from console:
/opt/OpenOffice-1.0.0/program/soffice.bin: error while loading shared libraries:
libsvl641li.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
(NOTE: this is a different error message than yours, but pointing in the same direction)
* updatedb -> locate libsvl641li.so -> /opt/OpenOffice-1.0.0/program/libsvl641li.so
So the missing file is simply there (and nowhere else on the box)
* (still as root) export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/lib:/usr/lib:/opt/OpenOffice-1.0.0/program/
-> /opt/OpenOffice-1.0.0/program/soffice.bin runs normally !
* Now change /opt/OpenOffice-1.0.0/program/soffice from line 160 onwards:

Linux)
# LD_LIBRARY_PATH="$sd_progsub":"$sd_prog":$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/lib:/usr/lib:/opt/OpenOffice-1.0.0/program/
;;

*)
# LD_LIBRARY_PATH="$sd_progsub":"$sd_prog":$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
;;
esac

* By making the change in /opt/OpenOffice-1.0.0/program/soffice , the program works normally again for all users !
Setting the export LD_LIBRARY_PATH is no longer neccesary.

This also works with the OOo binary, which has the advantages that is also possible to correctly setup OpenOffice as root, and that the KDE menu structure is set up correctly.

Thanks again for your help and encouragement Seang!
dantrevino
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2002 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a note. I was able to fix the problem by:
1) removing all the user OO files
2)apply the fix to /opt/OpenOffice-1.0.0/programs/soffice
3)re-run setup for the users

No "emerge unmerge" required. Also I am using Sun's JDK 1.4.0_01 and have not run into any problems.

Great work finding the fix guys!
AlterEgo
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2002 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think applying the fix to /opt/OpenOffice-1.0.0/programs/soffice could be sufficient.
I don't feel like trying right now.... :)
Freak_NL
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2002 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you seang! Your quickfix helped me aswell.

I have Gentoo 1.3a installed on both my laptop and home-pc, and the same versions of all software on it.. yet only on the Celly 667@850 pc OpenOffice.org (1.0.0) fails to load. Your solution fixed that. :)

Perhaps this should go in the Tips & Tricks subforum?
duebbert
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2002 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. This fixed my problem too.

Isn't this something someone should file a bug for? Or does it hurt other openoffice installations, if this the LD_LIBRARY_PATH line is changed?

BTW this problem only started for me once I recompiled world (not openoffice though) with gcc-3.1.
damodred
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2002 11:37 am    Post subject: Openoffice-bin, problem not solved for me Reply with quote

Hi,

I have emerged openoffice-bin (1.0.0)!
I have the same problem as is discussed here, when i start it i get the message "All modifed files have been saved and can probably be recoverd at program start"

I was glad to see that i'm not alone with this problem and AlterEgo posted a solution for this problem. I have done exactly what he has posted as solution, but that doesn't help because i get the same error again.

I tried to start /opt/OpenOffice-1.0.0/soffice (as root) and there is no message that he doesn't find any lib or so (without the solution AlterEgo posted I had this problem that he couldn't find a lib...)! So I think the problem with finding the lib is solved, but there seems to be another problem..

Anyone an idea what else can be the reason or a solution for this problem?

Thanks for your help...
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2002 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just downloaded OO1.0.0 bin and I have the same problem: when trying to run soffice, the OO splash screen appears, then the popup warning says:

Code:
an unrecoverable error has occurred All modifed files have been saved and can probably be recoverd at program start

when running soffice.bin:

Code:
/opt/OpenOffice-1.0.0/program/soffice.bin: error while loading shared libraries: libsvl641li.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

I've checked the file exists

when running setup, I go through to accepting the term and conditions, the setup just stops and exits.

Modifying the path:
Code:

didn't work.

I'll try to unmerge and re-emerge to see if it works. Or maybe I could see if it works on Gentoo 1.4 as it is supposed to come out soon.
damodred
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2002 11:46 am    Post subject: Openoffice-bin, problem not solved for me, sot Reply with quote

Hi,

OpenOffice-bin still don't work for me, but I tried SOTO which is nearly identical to OpenOffice (I think it's a 1:1 copy of the OpenOffice code with minor changes). I tried the binary from Soto and it worked!!!
So I think the problem i have with OpenOffice is still a problem an OpenOffice side, perhaps there are still some errors or problems with the start script, don't know...

When anyone has problems to get OpenOffice-bin working he should give Soto a try....
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2002 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got OO-bin working finally! :). My problems were solved when I ran as root
Code:
/opt/OpenOffice-1.0.0/setup -net

I chose repair, then ran as user gentoo to setup office
Code:
/home/gentoo/OpenOffice-1.0.0/setup

then to start office up
Code:
/home/gentoo/OpenOffice-1.0.0/soffice

and voila!
scottro
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2002 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought I'd share my experience, in case someone finds it useful.

I ran into similar problems--although on one install, it would run alright as root. One thing I did, that may have contributed to the problem was emerging with sudo rather than as root.

So, on irc the other day, someone said they'd had no problems with openoffice-bin and 1.4 which is on the box in question.

After reading this thread, I thought I'd try the lazy way first. However, installed (again as sudo) and had the same problems as before. Then, I unmerged, deleted all files from root and scottro directories.

Emerged once more, as root.

As root started X and ran it. It ran without problem.

Closed X, logged out, logged in as scottro, started X.
Did
Code:

/opt/Op*/sof*

As you can see, I'm fairly lazy
It ran setup in scottro's directory and then ran without problem.

After reading this thread, where it seemed paths might be an issue, to be safe, I did the emerge as root, not doing su to root. I didn't even do su - although I'm sure that was overkill.

So, that might (or might not be an issue--at any rate, it worked, and this thread is what put me on the track to ensuring that paths were correct.
So thank you all.

This is running 1.4 beta by the way. (Also tried a source compile, which died relatively quickly.) :)

Scott
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: