Problem playing DVDs
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ejfinneran
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 2:31 am    Post subject: Problem playing DVDs Reply with quote

I'm able to open and play encrypted DVDs fine at first, but sometimes in the middle of watching the DVD, the read light just starts blinking at a constant rate and the movie freezes. I checked my /var/log/messages and it outputs this:
Code:

Jul 16 21:13:26 localhost kernel: hdd: ATAPI reset complete
Jul 16 21:13:36 localhost kernel: hdd: irq timeout: status=0xd0 { Busy }
Jul 16 21:13:36 localhost kernel: hdd: irq timeout: error=0x01IllegalLengthIndication
Jul 16 21:13:36 localhost kernel: hdd: ATAPI reset complete
Jul 16 21:13:46 localhost kernel: hdd: irq timeout: status=0xd0 { Busy }
Jul 16 21:13:46 localhost kernel: hdd: irq timeout: error=0x01IllegalLengthIndication
Jul 16 21:13:46 localhost kernel: end_request: I/O error, dev 16:40 (hdd), sector 1759340
Jul 16 21:13:46 localhost kernel: hdd: status timeout: status=0xd0 { Busy }
Jul 16 21:13:46 localhost kernel: hdd: status timeout: error=0x00
Jul 16 21:13:46 localhost kernel: hdd: ATAPI reset complete

This happens on more than one disc.
Has anyone seen this before? Know what it means? I can't kill mplayer once this has happened no matter what signal I send. I have to reboot the machine to get it back.

I'm running 2.4.21 kernel and mplayer 0.90-r2.

Thanks in advance
Petyr
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow someone else with wierd DMA issues.
This might affect performance of the DVD-ROM drive, but you can just disable DMA access for it. You're going to see an impact on being able to read disc's because now the CPU is going to have to do a lot more work just to read stuff off a CD/DVD, but it should at least solve the issue for now

hdparm -d0 /dev/hdd

This is a kludge though, and you should really spend some time checking out the phsyical connections on the drive and whatnot to see if anything else is affecting it. Also does this only happen when you're playing dvd's or does it do this if you're copying a large file off of a CD.
One other thing, if you want to prevent the computer from automagically setting up DMA on the DVD drive, then you should go and mess around with /etc/conf.d/hdparm and set things in there
One last question for you, what kind of mothboard are you using?
Best of luck!

Petyr
ejfinneran
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Petyr wrote:
Also does this only happen when you're playing dvd's or does it do this if you're copying a large file off of a CD.

If I remeber correctly, a while back when I was ripping a bunch of CDs it might have happened once of twice but not as often as it happens with DVD playback. I'll check out physical connections to see if there is any problem there.
Petyr wrote:

One last question for you, what kind of mothboard are you using?

Its an Asus P4T.

Thanks for the help!
ejfinneran
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2003 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took off DMA
Code:

hdparm -d0 /dev/hdd

but I got the same problem with a different set of error messages (perhaps because I'm now running 2.6.0-test)
Code:

Jul 19 00:28:37 localhost kernel: hdd: cdrom_decode_status: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
Jul 19 00:28:37 localhost kernel: hdd: cdrom_decode_status: error=0x30LastFailedSense 0x03
Jul 19 00:28:42 localhost kernel: hdd: cdrom_decode_status: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
Jul 19 00:28:42 localhost kernel: hdd: cdrom_decode_status: error=0x30LastFailedSense 0x03
Jul 19 00:28:42 localhost kernel: hdd: ATAPI reset complete
Jul 19 00:28:47 localhost kernel: hdd: cdrom_decode_status: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
Jul 19 00:28:47 localhost kernel: hdd: cdrom_decode_status: error=0x30LastFailedSense 0x03
Jul 19 00:28:47 localhost kernel: end_request: I/O error, dev hdd, sector 7469496
Jul 19 00:28:52 localhost kernel: hdd: cdrom_decode_status: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
Jul 19 00:28:52 localhost kernel: hdd: cdrom_decode_status: error=0x30LastFailedSense 0x03

Could this be hardware related? The DVD drive is rather old.
Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks
Jimbow
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2003 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started to get a really annoying problem playing DVD's: most of them would crash my player (mplayer, xine, ogle, it didn't matter which) when there was about 5 minutes left in the DVD. :x :x :x

It turns out that this was related to running my CDROM/DVD drive as ATAPI instead of SCSI via ide-scsi. I recompiled my kernel with ide-scsi, etc. instead of ide-cdrom and the DVD problem went away!

Strange but true.
Petyr
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2003 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ejfinneran: The ide-scsi trick I've heard of before as having worked for a few people, so your milage on it may vary but it's always worth a shot.
I'm kinda grasping at straws here but maybe the laser head on the DVD drive itself got dirty somehow. You mention that the drive is fairly old, and it seems to be having difficulty decoding everything properly, so it kinda fits. Cleaning discs are cheap too, like $5, but your call on it :wink:

Best of luck,

Petyr

when in doubt, blame the hardware ^^;;;
Squinky86
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2003 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Petyr wrote:
when in doubt, blame the hardware ^^;;;

That's right. I have had lots of trouble with ASUS P4T's in linux. Just a suggestion that seems to work for some of the ide problems- try compiling floppy and cdrom support as modules; the mobo seems to have less trouble if they're probed through modules.autoload than by already being in the kernel. It's some weird quirk, and it may or may not help.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: