Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
deleting entries in rEFIt
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo for Mac OS X (Portage for Mac OS X)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mandelcat
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 4:10 pm    Post subject: deleting entries in rEFIt Reply with quote

I'm running rEFIt on my macbook to dual boot between Mac OS X and Gentoo (I'm using grub to choose between my different linux installs). I've recompiled multiple different kernels to get my system just how I like it. Unfortunately, during this time I believe I ran the command (in grub):
Code:
setup (hd0)
instead of
Code:
setup(hd0,2)
This gives me an extra entry in rEFIt which does exactly the same thing my other linux entry does. So I've got one entry for Mac OS X while I've got two of the same entry for my gentoo install. Is there any way to delete one of these entries using rEFIt or something else? It's not hurting much it just looks stupid and annoys the hell out of me.
NathanZachary

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not had much experience with rEFIt, but I believe from the menu, you can remove an entry from the boot screen. Here's instruction on how to get into the rEFIt menu:

http://refit.sourceforge.net/doc/c2s1_activate.html

Instead, you should just be able to get rid of a particular OS badge icon by manually editing the refit.conf file:

http://refit.sourceforge.net/doc/c3s3_config.html

Also, I think this thread should be in the "Gentoo for MAC OS X" sub-forum.
mandelcat
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey thanks for the info. I'm not exactly sure how to access the refit config file. I don't know how to mount it. (I tried to mount /dev/sda1 and it acted as if it succeeded but I didn't find any files). I also tried to use the rEFIt shell but when I type "help" to list the commands they scroll off the screen and I can't even read them. I was looking for some documentation for the command list but I couldn't find any.
NathanZachary

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without knowing what your partitioning scheme is, it might be difficult to find the exact problem. However, if you installed rEFIt to the default location, it should be in the root directory for Mac OS X, under a folder called efi (therefore, it would be /efi).
mandelcat
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got it! Ok, I'll take a look at it. Thanks again!
NathanZachary

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem; please just ask if you run into a problem. :)
Deathwing00
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved from Installing Gentoo to Gentoo for Mac OS X (Portage for Mac OS X) by request.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo for Mac OS X (Portage for Mac OS X) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: