hotplug startup delay reduction
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aardvark
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2003 2:14 pm    Post subject: hotplug startup delay reduction Reply with quote

First off I am happy to announce that principally all my hardware is now supported by linux/gentoo. The last one was my scanner, a gt6816 model from aldi and it now works really well with the latest "unstable" sane backends. I need for that the "hotplug" rc-script in order to have all users access the scanner without having to change permissions every replug/reboot.

The hotplug thingy however takes appx. 4 sec to complete thereby affecting bootspeed very adversely. I was wondering wether there are some settings that can get it to operate fast.
I can't really seem to find any useful settings in /etc/hotplug that I actually comprehend. A step would be to disable PCI hotplugging which I do not use, but I think it isn't used anyway. Is there any good documentation on this, that is readable for an ordinary desktop user (gentoo doc style perhaps) ? :) :) Perhaps someone has already tackled this and is willing to share it here!

Thanks
trikke
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2003 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

has anyone found it ?
i am looking 2 for it
dont realy have exp with hotplugging and dont know if it is realy worth installing it if it slows down the system
linux is already making my wintendo looking fast so dont realy want to slow it down more at boot.

thx
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: