portage and emerge questions
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
5a\/ag3
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2003 3:49 pm    Post subject: portage and emerge questions Reply with quote

I did do a search (Honestly), I have not installed Gentoo yet have it Downloaded and just need some CD's, I have been browsing this forum for quite sometime. However I am in the middle of Reading the installation manual, gentoo seems like it is an Excellent Distro, however my question is this.

Since Gentoo Relys on SRC (Source packages), I saw a couple of people getting third party software that was say an *.rpm and they would use a switch in the emerge command. Does this mean I can Download any file format with gentoo and it supports it as long as it is for linux? for example... If I found a tar.gz i know that as tar -zxvf program.tar.gz
./configure
make
make install
make clean

in emerge would it basically be
emerge program.tar.gz ?
or emerge -argument program?
I take it kportage and emerge are linked somehow?
I just want to fully understand the installation of software procedure.
I did do a search and no real explanation that I could find was given.

if there is a full explanatino i missed it and just point me in the right direction

Thank you in advance

regards 5a\/ag3 (sAvAgE) someone already has my name :(
Genone
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2003 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: portage and emerge questions Reply with quote

5a\/ag3 wrote:
Since Gentoo Relys on SRC (Source packages), I saw a couple of people getting third party software that was say an *.rpm and they would use a switch in the emerge command. Does this mean I can Download any file format with gentoo and it supports it as long as it is for linux? for example... If I found a tar.gz i know that as tar -zxvf program.tar.gz
./configure
make
make install
make clean

in emerge would it basically be
emerge program.tar.gz ?
or emerge -argument program?

No, emerge only works with ebuilds and special .tbz2 packages. But you can easiely create an ebuild to install an rpm or tar.gz. There are several package in portage that use rpm packaged software.

Quote:
I take it kportage and emerge are linked somehow?

kportage is just a frontend for portage/emerge.
Megaptera
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2003 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to Gentoo :)

Ebuilds can be pretty diverse in the way they handle a package -- there are ebuilds for binary packages, CVS packages, games that need the original CD, etc. In short, if you can install it without portage, you can probably install it with portage -- even if you have to write your own ebuild, which is actually pretty easy. Basically, an ebuild tells portage what and where the source package is, and then what to do with it.

And to clarify, when someone talks about "portage", they can sometimes mean some combination of the portage program itself and the portage tree (all the ebuilds and their related files). Kportage is one of the GUIs that makes it possible to browse the portage tree and you can basically run portage through it. It's easy to understand once you're using it, so don't worry too much if it's all confusing right now. If you're reading the install docs and the forum beforehand, you're a step ahead of the game :)
masseya
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2003 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moving from Other Things Gentoo.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: