View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 12, 13, 14  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
incubator
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Window resizing is pretty slow and I notice an increased cpu usage though, I managed to put the script in hte proper autpstart so no root anymore :)
incubator
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my laptop with an ATI Mobility X700 I can't seem to get it to work like that, I configured the AIGLX as saiid on several topics but no matter what I do there no compiz :s
(ati-drivers-8.433 and 8.42.3 tested) but methinks the drivers aint good because it cant even do transparency right (the one that you can enable in kcontrol when you enable composite)
arabis
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a mobility x700, and, on my laptop, compiz-fusion works with ati-drivers-8.433 and 8.42.3. To start it I use fusion-icon.
DVDR double couche
incubator
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried this on gentoo, ubuntu 7.10 and mandriva but none of them were able to start compiz-fusion.
Either they were looking for Xgl or AIGLX and couldnt find it, or simply no reason as usual.
I gave up on it since it is still a bit slow on my desktop with nvidia.
Havin_it
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

incubator wrote:
On my laptop with an ATI Mobility X700 I can't seem to get it to work like that, I configured the AIGLX as saiid on several topics but no matter what I do there no compiz :s
(ati-drivers-8.433 and 8.42.3 tested) but methinks the drivers aint good because it cant even do transparency right (the one that you can enable in kcontrol when you enable composite)

If you are having problems with both, then it seems as if the Composite Extension failed to load. Try this command:

Code:
grep -i composite /var/log/Xorg.0.log

You may also want to try rebuilding libdrm, mesa and your ati-driver. There is a preferred order for emerging these, but I'm not sure if this is it...
baygins
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 3:05 am    Post subject: Compiz NOT autostarting with KDE Reply with quote

I have installed compiz-fusion meta package from Portage and NOT the "xeffects" overlay, however I cannot get it to autostart in my configuration where the xdm service starts up at boot time.

I have a ATI Radeon 9700Pro with the latest ATI binary drivers from Portage (8.433.1-r1).

I tried adding KWIN="compiz-start" to /etc/env.d/99kde-env; and no joy :-(

Any ideas?
baffo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read the all the manuals and wikis about XGL that I could find, but I still can't install it.
Emerge won't work, I did also a search and there are no similar packages available through portage.

Is there another way to install it or an alternative?
Havin_it
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@baygins: I don't know if this was a typo, but you mis-named the variable in your post above. You need:
Code:
KDEWM=/usr/bin/compiz-start

Be warned though that the compiz-start script will often need further tweaking to be usable for some setups, especially as an Autostart.

@baffo: Xgl is not in portage because no maintainer has stepped up, and because -- frankly -- its relevance is waning. Unless you have an ATi graphics card for which only the closed-source driver will work (and as you may know the ATi driver situation is changing very rapidly right now), I recommend using AIGLX instead. That is already built into standard XOrg so you don't need to get a whole replacement X-server to make it work. For more info, and (if you care to follow the links on the page) info about the Xgl situation, read this:

http://gentoo-wiki.com/AIGLX
jonnevers
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI, the new 'desktop-effects' overlay has recently risen from xeffects ashes.

if you are looking for compiz-fusion stable use portage, if you are looking for live ebuilds try the desktop-effects overlay.
yix
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apologies if this has already been covered somewhere else.

Through a combination of reading the (google-cached) gentoo compiz-fusion wiki, along with the information on compiz-fusion's official website, I was able to install compiz-fusion with the desktop-effects overlay. By way of running the often-used commands of:

compiz --replace ccp
emerald --replace

I was able to get everything running that way, but I ran into trouble trying to get things functioning correctly from an automatic start of Gnome. I just got it sorted out, and I figured I'd post it here for anyone who might be having similar troubles.

If you are having trouble getting Compiz-Fusion to automatically load properly and/or loading up without any Window Decorations under GNOME, Try This:

This is assuming you can already get Compiz-Fusion to load normally with a window decorator using the above terminal commands.

Ok, so you've went through all the wiki's, followed the instructions, emerged Compiz-Fusion with CCSM(ccp) and Desktop-Effects. You've edited (or created) the /etc/env.d/99local file the tutorials instruct you to, changing the WINDOW_MANAGER variable to "compiz" to override Gnome defaults, running env-update as root so the settings take effect. (to ensure they did, "set | grep WINDOW_MANAGER" at a console or terminal, NOT as root but as a user. If they didn't, just logout and log back in on that account.)

To get Compiz-Fusion to load automatically with all the bells and whistles and WITH window decorations under Gnome, you're going to have to edit the file /usr/bin/gnome-wm. One of the tutorials gave you a 'sed' command to run, but forget about it -- it's outdated information, and in the current gnome-wm, it doesn't do anything. You're going to have to edit it by hand.

As root open /usr/bin/gnome-wm in your favorite editor, and scroll down to the bottom. You're looking for this bit of code:

Code:
case `basename $WINDOW_MANAGER` in
  compiz)
    export LIBGL_ALWAYS_INDIRECT=1
    gtk-window-decorator &
    OPT3=glib
    OPT4=gconf
    ;;
  beryl)
    emerald &
    ;;
esac

We don't need to define glib here, as that's now handled as a plugin in CCSM, so for 'OPT3=' erase 'glib' and put in 'ccp'. We don't need gconf either, since CCSM is what we're using instead, so erase or comment out the OPT4 line. The 'gtk-window-decorator &' line is what causes there to be no window decorations on startup. It doesn't matter what decorator you put there, because that part is now also handled by CCSM, and when it sees something's already there, it doesn't do anything. So, you end up with no window decorations. Comment out that pesky line.

Ok, so when you're all done, this code should now look something like this:

Code:
case `basename $WINDOW_MANAGER` in
  compiz)
    export LIBGL_ALWAYS_INDIRECT=1
#    gtk-window-decorator &
    OPT3=ccp
    ;;
  beryl)
    emerald &
    ;;
esac

You're almost there. Now start up Gnome if you're not in it already, and go into CCSM. First go to Preferences and change the Backend dropbox from "GConf Configuration Backend" to "Flat-file Configuration Backend" if you haven't done this yet, so that your settings are properly saved. Then go to Effects >> Window Decoration, under the "Command" slot, put in 'emerald &' or 'gtk-window-decorator &', or whatever window decorator you want. Activate the plugin, make sure it works. And while we're in here, go to Window Placement >> Place in the plugins menu, and change the 'Placement Mode' from 'Cascade' to 'Smart', so that the titlebars of newly created windows aren't obscured by the top Gnome Panel.

Now exit Gnome and startx to make sure everything loads automatically. The final test is to exit Gnome, logout of your account, login and startx. If everything loads up as it should, you're all set!
sonicbhoc
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, could someone give me a hand with Compiz Fusion?

I downloaded some plugins for it from their git overlay. But, when I try to make them, they always fail at building the .lo file. Example:

Code:

charles@gensokyo ~/Downloads/Compiz Fusion Plugins/atlantis2 $ make
convert   : atlantis.xml.in -> build/atlantis.xml
bcop'ing  : build/atlantis.xml -> build/atlantis_options.h
bcop'ing  : build/atlantis.xml -> build/atlantis_options.c
schema    : build/atlantis.xml -> build/compiz-atlantis.schema
make: *** No rule to make target `build/atlantis.lo', needed by `c-build-objs'.  Stop.

That happens with every compiz fusion plugin I've downloaded. I tried running it as root, but that didn't help either. How does portage build the plugins for Compiz Fusion, and why can't I do it properly?
Holysword
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgive my question ( 'cause probably someone have asked it too) but how can I make KDE start compiz-fusion automatically?
I can start compiz in a terminal by typing:

Code:
compiz-start kwin --replace

I tried the tutorial at http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_compiz-fusion . If I try to set it to automatically start by that way it starts without any border. I tried to set the arguments at compiz.wrapper too, but with no success.

Apreciate ahy help!
Havin_it
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Holysword: I have the same problem, compiz and/or kde-window-decorator (or emerald) always crash at first when KDE loads up. I had to put an extra "bullying" section on the end of the compiz-start script:

Code:

# first wait until kdesktop is loaded
while ! pidof kdesktop; do
  sleep 5
done

# then force compiz and kwd to restart as long as kdesktop is running
while pidof kdesktop; do
  if ! pidof compiz; then
    compiz $COMPIZ_OPTIONS --replace &
  fi
  if ! pidof kde-window-decorator; then
    kde-window-decorator --replace &
  fi
done

I would love to suss out what the problem is, but in the meantime this keeps me afloat ;)
sonicbhoc
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It can be done easily with the KDEWM environment variable. Edit your ~/.bash_profile and add this line:
export KDEWM=compiz-start

after modifying compiz-start to do what you want, of course. Or you can make your own compiz starter/wrapper script and use that.

Now, will someone help me compile some plugins for Compiz? Try as I might, I just can't figure out what's wrong.
Holysword
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sonicbhoc and Havin_it, both your solutions had the same result: it starts KDE and stops on "Loading Desktop" and keeps "loading" forever XD
big
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sonicbhoc wrote:
Hey, could someone give me a hand with Compiz Fusion?

I downloaded some plugins for it from their git overlay. But, when I try to make them, they always fail at building the .lo file. Example:

Code:

charles@gensokyo ~/Downloads/Compiz Fusion Plugins/atlantis2 $ make
convert   : atlantis.xml.in -> build/atlantis.xml
bcop'ing  : build/atlantis.xml -> build/atlantis_options.h
bcop'ing  : build/atlantis.xml -> build/atlantis_options.c
schema    : build/atlantis.xml -> build/compiz-atlantis.schema
make: *** No rule to make target `build/atlantis.lo', needed by `c-build-objs'.  Stop.

That happens with every compiz fusion plugin I've downloaded. I tried running it as root, but that didn't help either. How does portage build the plugins for Compiz Fusion, and why can't I do it properly?

Updating your compiz-fusion will solve the problem
sonicbhoc
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me elaborate...

I installed Compiz Fusion, but it seems to be missing some plugins. So I went to the git (http://gitweb.compiz-fusion.org/) repository, and downloaded some of the plugins I wanted, being sure to download every file in the trees. So, whenever I go to build them I get those errors. However, the plugins in Portage seem to be a lot more standard ./configure;make;make install while the git plugins have only a makefile and some c code. If I could get the desktop effects overlay, it might be a little easier... but I can't do that either; every time I try, I get a server timeout (I think it's because I'm behind a proxy). Does anyone know how I can get the desktop effects overlay (maybe even an http mirror where I can just download every file individually) or how I can get git to work?

It seems that git works if the protocol is http:// but if it's git:// then it doesn't work. Maybe it's the proxy?
Holysword
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ouch I updated the xorg-x11 to the ~amd64 version and I can't run compiz even manually anymore ><
Cruel world ><
sonicbhoc
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm running ~amd64 without a hitch.

Try this:

in your /usr/bin/compiz-start, change COMPIZ_OPTIONS to this:
COMPIZ_OPTIONS="--replace --sm-disable ccp"

also, if you have ~amd64 X make sure you have ~amd64 compiz as well ;)
MarioCorleone
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

me too, but does anyone have 4 seperat backgrounds working yet? cant figure out how to patch kde to do that. http://forum.compiz-fusion.org/showthread.php?t=1006
platojones
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI, compiz-fusion 0.7.2 is now out :D :

http://lists.compiz-fusion.org/pipermail/community/2008-March/000168.html

I've added a bug to have it added to portage. In the meantime, I'm trying to get it into an overlay to try it out. The big news for me in this release is:

1) Finally got 3-D windows back in the plugins-extra! I've missed this every since I went from beryl to compiz-fusion.

2) Big rev-bump for emerald, my decorator of choice. The old version had a lot of nasty bugs and was generally pretty flakey. Here's hoping the new one is stable!

Doesn't look like a lot of new functionality (though the new plugins are nice). But I hope the stability is much better now.
MarioCorleone
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

its good dude. i had 3d windows on my 0.6.2 version
platojones
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I knew there was an alpha plugin for 3d windows in 0.6.2, but I never bothered with it. Works great in my shiny new 0.7.2 compiz fusion upgrade and emerald has been very solid thus far. Hasn't crashed yet and starts up every time. Thanks to the compiz devs for fixed that. The old version was very broken.
chaonis
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 6:23 pm    Post subject: vncviewer ctrl-click and shift-click failed Reply with quote

Environment: Gentoo with XFCE4, running compiz-fusion.

When I use tightvnc 1.3.9 vncviewer under compiz-fusion, I cannot do Shift-click or Ctrl-click in vnc environment, either Windows or linux as remote machine. I can do shift-arrow or ctrl-arrow with no problem. However, when I stop the compiz and emerald, both works.

Any idea any body?

Thanks.
esileruf
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi i have problem with compiz
i use lxde, my graphic driver works well with 3d
when i start compiz-manager my whole desktop become black and picture apear as i move mouse cursor, but i dont have borders
when i check windows decoration under ccsm, borders is there but whole desktop is freezed for half a minute, after that desktop works but very slow
if i muve window its very slow and i see it on several places on desktop, it stays wherever i move it
its just dont workable
lxde without compiz runs great and graphic driver works well

what can i do ?
please
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 13 of 14

Jump to: