Bootloader & Silimage raid problem (/dev/ataraid/dics1/p
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pellas
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2003 3:00 pm    Post subject: Bootloader & Silimage raid problem (/dev/ataraid/dics1/p Reply with quote

Hello!

I've an Abit NF7-S board hooked up with 2 Seagate 60GB raid 0 with the SATA adapters.

I boot of the athlon XP 1.4 live CD with the: "gentoo doataraid noraid" options. And when I check the partitions they appear under /dev/ataraid/disc1/partX and not under disc0 like everybody else has got it on this forum.

Does anyone know what is causing this.

I can install everything fine... but the bootloader configuration seems to be the big problem. I've tried both LiLo and Grub.

I've tried to delete the stripe set in the silimage bios, and then create it again, partitioning... but nothing changes.

Please give your ideas of what it might be.

Also if you have a Silimage controller working, please post your bootloader configs.
gmichels
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2003 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I can't help you, but I'd like to ask other things to you.

I have the same system, NF7-S and 2 maxtors in raid 0, but I can't get the array to be detected by any means. I tried using 1.4_rc4 smp kernel, tried this new 1.4 basic livecd, even tried creating custom livecds. None of them work, I always get the dreaded 'no array found' message.

Which revision is your nf7-s? What bios version are you running?

Have you tried the basic livecd instead of the athlon xp one? That's the only difference I can tell between my tries and yours.
pellas
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2003 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got rev 2 and the newest bios; 18 i think it is.

I could get my array detected with the rc4 live CD aswell, but with the smp kernel.

I can not figure out really why the array shoudn't be detected. I only created the stripe set in silimages bios and after that the array was detected.

Regarding my first problem I now tried to do the partitioning from Gentoo instead of Partition Magic which I used before. We'll se how it all goes.
pellas
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2003 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried to do the partitioning in Gentoo on disc0... and everything seemed to be in order.

But when I booted from the Windows XP cd it could not found any partitions at all... it seems like it uses the Partition table on disc1, and so does Partition Magic.

Hmmm... now I only wish I could understand that grub config, so it could boot from disc1 instead of disc0.
gmichels
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2003 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then I can't see any logic here... Same board, same revision, same bios version.

How come that doesn't work for me? :(
pellas
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2003 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi again!

I've now cleared up a few things... I did a low-leve format in the silimage bios on both drivers and after that the kernel didn't found any drives. It seems to me that the silraid driver must see the partition tables. I partitioned the array in Partition magic and after that the array was detected as ataraid/disc0.

I've managed to install Lilo but there is a kernel panic, and I think that the silraid module isn't loaded... Does anyone know if it should be loaded automatically or do I have to put it in the /etc/modules.autoload file or /etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel.2.4?????
gmichels
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2003 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess you shouldn't use a module, compile it in the kernel instead.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: