vim problem [SOLVED]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Petyr
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2003 12:58 am    Post subject: vim problem [SOLVED] Reply with quote

So when I'm logged in as a normal user, vim performance on text files that have extremely long lines is slooooow. Like molasses, uphill in the winter with a headwind slow

But magically, when I log in as root *poof* back to normal happy speedy vim.
I recompiled xfree today and etc-update said there there were several files that it wanted to update, some of them where binary files that are related to X (sorry I don't remeber exactly what they were....)
Anyhow where should I look to figure out WHY vim is dragging the system down

side note: when I'm a normal user editing the same file, vim eats up 90% of the processer when all I do is :set nowrap (on said file with long lines)
when I do this with root, no problems! *grrrrrrrrr*

another side note: I just recompiled vim, no dice.

Thanks in advance,
Petyr

Last edited by Petyr on Fri Aug 08, 2003 6:19 am; edited 1 time in total
ozukir@
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2003 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is probably not related but....

When I fail to exit out of vim (like when I close the pts or window while I have a document up), vim will run without a terminal and use 100% of my processor until I kill it. I try not to let it happen to often, but I work on a box through ssh that has an unreliable connection.

On another note. Do you have different vim environments for your users and root?
Petyr
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2003 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as the pty stuff goes, I have that happen myself every once in a while. Kinda one of the first things I'll check for if my computer is going *really* slow and I'm not compiling something.

Regarding vim env's, nope. Both root and my normal account are using the global vimrc file. Neither has a local ~/.vimrc

Petyr
Petyr
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2003 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuur
After remember that I'd been editing a binary file with vim (don't ask... long story) I was poking around and low and behold, my .viminfo file had automagically grabbed gobloads of binary data. "Funny," Petyr thought to himeself and decided that since the file is auto-generated, it should be perfectly safe to remove it.

There was much dancing for joy (while still in the chair), when that solved the problem. :wink:

Petyr :roll:
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: