neomagic 256av and alsa on an sl2500
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
enrayged
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2003 7:12 am    Post subject: neomagic 256av and alsa on an sl2500 Reply with quote

I have a Gateway Solo 2500 laptop with a neomagic 256av (as far as I can tell, it MIGHT be a 256av+and if it is, sorryy for wasting time). I have run through the alsa guide and got the nm256 module compiled, and tried to install it following those directions. when I try to start up the alsa driver, I get

Starting sound driver: snd-nm256 /lib/modules/2.4.20-gentoo-r5/kernel/sound/pci/nm256/snd-nm256.o: init_module: No such device
Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module parameters, including invalid IO or IRQ parameters.
You may find more information in syslog or the output from dmesg
/lib/modules/2.4.20-gentoo-r5/kernel/sound/pci/nm256/snd-nm256.o: insmod /lib/modules/2.4.20-gentoo-r5/kernel/sound/pci/nm256/snd-nm256.o failed
/lib/modules/2.4.20-gentoo-r5/kernel/sound/pci/nm256/snd-nm256.o: insmod snd-nm256 fail

IRQ for this "card" is IRQ 11 (according to windows)
DMA's are 0 and 1
and have several memory ranges.

do I need to pass these to the module? and if so, how do I accomplish this? I was unable to find any info on the alsa web page or no other clues from the gentoo guide...(of course it is late on the 4th, and I have been celebrating our independance a little :lol: )

I have had sound working under linux on this laptop a long time ago... was a great doc for my laptop but it has dissapeared... and I think it was for the OSS drivers...

Thanks in advance for any help you can give
Minos
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2003 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure that the nm256 is doing your sound? My Solo 5150 has a magicmedia256av, but it uses a different chip (ES 1869, I think) for sound. What does Windows name your sound card? If it's like mine, it's ISA and won't show up in /proc/pci.
enrayged
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2003 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

windows is naming it as the neomagic, for some reason before, I had thought it was a yamaha chipset, but not according to windows... I havent had time to work on this, as sound isnt a big concern... not needed, but would be nice to have it working :) but I will doublecheck what windows says and post that here
enrayged
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2003 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

these are the specs from gateway's website

http://support.gateway.com/support/manlib/Notebooks/Solo2500/8504716/

according to this the sound card is:

NeoMagic NMA 2. 16-bit stereo audio. Built-in OPL3 (FM synthesizer). Built-in 3D enhanced controller. Full-duplex operation with two DMA channels. Compatible with Sound Blaster and Sound Blaster Pro.

but I will do some more poking around in windows
rizzo
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2003 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

enrayged:

I have a Solo 2500 too now (I have recent post in Desktop Environments thread). If you have things working, would you care to post your XF86Config and your sound card config? Also if you have any other tips-n-tricks to get things going I would really appreciate it.

My post is here:

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=73163
rizzo
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2003 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the correct driver is the opl3sa2. I got that insmod'ed with no complaints but alsa still doesn't play sound. xmms locks up.

/me shrugs
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: