compiletime / releasetime
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
meyerm
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2002 5:43 pm    Post subject: compiletime / releasetime Reply with quote

Hi everybody,

when I realized that there is a Linux-distribution with a BSD-like portsystem I decided that I must have it! :-) But since I don't have very much time at the moment just to play around alot or to install it several time I would like to ask you a few questions.

1. the "not-to-ask"-question: When will the next stable gentoo be released?

Yes, I know. It's ready when it's ready... ;-) I use this sentence myself *g* But perhaps you can roughly guess a date when the firt stable distribution with gcc 3 will be ready.

2. How long will building the whole system with X and KDE take on the following computers?

- P1-120 / 32MB (the maintargets as desktops)
(some with 64MB are available)
- PIII-XEON 500 Dual / 512 MB (my developementmachine)
- PIII-900 / 256MB (my own computer)

3. Wouldn't it be possible to compile and install gentoo on my developementmachine and then transfer it onto those old P1s?

Thank you a lot for answering!

Marcel
Kilian
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2002 9:23 pm    Post subject: Re: compiletime / releasetime Reply with quote

Can't help you out alot with the first question. My bet would be 'soon', based on the fact that 1.3b is more stable then a large portion of traditional distributions out there...

meyerm wrote:

2. How long will building the whole system with X and KDE take on the following computers?

Firstly, keep in mind that it depends what stage you start at, and how much swap space you allow yourself. Personally, I'd highly recommend using an i586 iso for the P1's, and starting at stage3. Even still, that's gonna take a massive amount of time putting X and KDE on them.

Providing they're similar (read: identical hw) machines (as we know all good production environments are ;)) it would be a good idea to just do it on a single machine and then distribute it to all the others via ghost or a similar system.

Probably even a good idea to use an i686/stage3 for your personal machine unless you *really* want to tweak it alot. Development machine you might as well build from stage1 because hey, that's half the fun of having a development machine ;p

meyerm wrote:

3. Wouldn't it be possible to compile and install gentoo on my developementmachine and then transfer it onto those old P1s?

Definately! So long as you make sure to compile it so it will run on them all, that's probably one of the best things you could do. (see blathering about distributing images above)

Hope that helps answer your questions :)
klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2002 12:48 am    Post subject: Re: compiletime / releasetime Reply with quote

meyerm wrote:

This one is difficult to answer, because a lot depends on your linux skills. The first time I installed a Gentoo system, it took me a lot longer than it should have, simply because I had previously relied upon Debian to handle a lot of the sysadmin tasks for me. So, while installing Gentoo, I had to learn a lot about linux that I'd never done before.

From a hardware perspective, the P120s will take roughly forever (give or take a year or so) to complete. :) As a point of reference, XFree86 + KDE on my PIII 500 took over 10 hours to complete. (that doesn't include emerging the base system itself) You really want to look at installing Gentoo on another computer and then migrating it over to the P120s. Now, I'd like to see you get KDE 3.0.1 running on 32MB of RAM without hitting swap all day long, but that's a different issue entirely. You might consider fluxbox or blackbox as alternative window managers. KDE is nice, but a memory hog.

EDIT: fixed typo

--kurt

Last edited by klieber on Fri Jun 28, 2002 10:58 am; edited 1 time in total
meyerm
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2002 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi both,

thank you for your answers. I have now decided to build a 1.2 gentoo on a dedicated harddisk on my developement machine to try it and later, when 1.4 is available rebuilding and perhaps distributing it to the other PCs.

I hope this will work. I was just too stupid to get it to work with "linux from scratch". Even when compiling for the 386 it always throwed illegal exceptions in the glibc. Well, we'll see. I'm really looking forward. :)

Thanks again,
Marcel
echto
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2002 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started installing from stage 1 last night at 8:30 pm using a PIII 750, 512M Ram, UDMA 100 Maxtor. Stage 2 was started at 10:10pm. I woke up at 9:30 am and started stage 3 at 10:00 am. I started compiling X and Fluxbox at 10:36 am and its still compiling now (11:27 am)

Hope that helps.

The reason I started at stage 1 was because I was experiencing extreme latency in X after originally installed from Stage 3. I couldn't even compile a program with out the mouse becoming sluggish. So I thought I'd give a complete build from stage 1 a try before barking about it.
ealfert
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2002 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

emerge vim (which depends on xserver?) took 2 hours

emerge kde took 6 hours (would probably have been longer if vim hadn't installed xserver)

this was on an ibm laptop t22 with pentium iii 1ghz and 512mb
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: