PostgreSQL upgrade and blocking
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leifbk
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:21 pm    Post subject: PostgreSQL upgrade and blocking Reply with quote

Concerning the upcoming PostgreSQL upgrade from 8.2 to 8.3, I hope that Gentoo will implement a better transition than the brain-damaged blocking of the old version. According to the developers, it's important that a dump of the old database should be done with the new 8.3 version of pg_dump. See this thread on pgsql-advocacy for some details.

If portage insists on hosing the old installation before the new one is in place, I don't understand how to do it -- short of moving to another distro, of course :wink:
barophobia
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is partly the fault of postgresql changing db schemes every now and then.

I suppose they can automate the dump and load but eh, the world is not perfect.
leifbk
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

barophobia wrote:
This is partly the fault of postgresql changing db schemes every now and then.

"Backwards compatibility" has never been an issue in the Open Source world -- dealing with upgrades and changing specs is. I fully understand the need for deprecating implicit casts, which is the main reason why it's important to do a pg_dump of the old base(s) after 8.3 is installed. The 8.2 pg_dump won't do anything about those implicit casts, but the 8.3 version will take care of a lot of potential problems with them.

Technically, there's no problem running several instances of Postgres on the same system, all in different versions if you wish. You just specify the data directory and port number for each one. One way to do the transition, is of course to install a "non-portage" postgres 8.2 in /usr/local before 8.3 arrives in portage. But that is definitely not the Gentoo Way[TM]. :P

regards, Leif
Carlo
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: PostgreSQL upgrade and blocking Reply with quote

leifbk wrote:
Concerning the upcoming PostgreSQL upgrade from 8.2 to 8.3, I hope that Gentoo will implement a better transition than the brain-damaged blocking of the old version. According to the developers, it's important that a dump of the old database should be done with the new 8.3 version of pg_dump. See this thread on pgsql-advocacy for some details.

If portage insists on hosing the old installation before the new one is in place, I don't understand how to do it -- short of moving to another distro, of course :wink:

File a bug, please, to make sure the maintainers actually get the information.
leifbk
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: PostgreSQL upgrade and blocking Reply with quote

Carlo wrote:
File a bug, please, to make sure the maintainers actually get the information.

Thanks for the tip. I've just done that; the bug has been entered as #199142.

regards, Leif
leifbk
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been notified that there is a project dealing with multiple instances of postgresql already: http://overlays.gentoo.org/proj/postgresql/wiki/ExperimentalFAQ. Is this an active project, and is there any chance that it will be incorporated in the "canonical" Gentoo anytime soon?
Carlo
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

leifbk wrote:
Is this an active project, and is there any chance that it will be incorporated in the "canonical" Gentoo anytime soon?

It is planned to do so, afaik, but I've no idea about the progress. Please contact the maintainers, if you're interested or even want to help.
webway
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to one place I read, it has always been the upstream recommendation that when doing a dump/restore on upgrade that the dump should be taken using pg_dumpall from the new version not the old version. ie that the new binaries should be (built and) installed while still running the old version of the server.
mwoodiupui
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:31 pm    Post subject: 8.2? 8.3? portage still stuck at 8.0 Reply with quote

Does this mean that sometime soon, portage will stop trying to downgrade from 8.1 to 8.0 and actually move forward? I've been meaning to ask, somewhere, what has been holding Pg back all these months.
Carlo
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mwoodiupui: Please ask for it in irc or in the gentoo-dev mailinglist maybe. I don't know what the current Postgres status is and only a few devs frequent this board.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: