Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Boot tip when using two RAID controllers (onboard + PCI)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
armakuni
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 9:07 am    Post subject: Boot tip when using two RAID controllers (onboard + PCI) Reply with quote

I just thought I'd share something that took me a couple of days to figure out.
I had a 2.6.22-gentoo-r8 system running on a RAID 1 consisting of two 150GB SATA drives connected to my onboard Promise Fasttrak controller on my motherboard MSI K7N2G.
I wanted more SATA disk space so i bought 2 new 500GB SATA drives and an Adaptec 1420sa RAID controller card.
I recompiled the kernel with the driver for the card, plugged it all in and rebooted.
Now my system could not find a bootable device. It ran through the Adaptec BIOS then the Fasttrak BIOS and then the Nvidia Boot Agent started trying to PXE boot. It stopped with a disk boot failure.
The wierd thing was that if I unplugged the drives from the Adaptec card it booted just fine.
I tried every possible boot order, replaced the cables and tried a couple of different kernel drivers but still no luck.
Then I realised that when no drives was plugged into the Adaptec card the BIOS said "BIOS not installed" but when I had the drives plugged in it said "BIOS installed". So I went into the Adaptec BIOS (ctrl+a) and disabled the cards BIOS. When I rebooted everything worked perfectly!
I guess that I can't use the Adaptec hardware RAID now but I'm ok with running everything on software RAID.
Maybe this is self explanary to many of you but hopefully this post can help someone with the same problem!
Jimmy Jazz
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

same problem with

Code:

01:09.0 Mass storage controller: Promise Technology, Inc. PDC20575 (SATAII150 TX2plus) (rev 02)                 <-- PCI card
01:0b.0 RAID bus controller: Silicon Image, Inc. SiI 3112 [SATALink/SATARaid] Serial ATA Controller (rev 02)  <-- onboard

and an Asus A7N nforce2 Deluxe

Disabling the Promise Bios make it boot again.

+----+----+----+
|    |::::|    |
|    |::::|    |
+----+----+----+

motto: WeLCRO
WritE Less Code, Repeat Often
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: