vcron: 1 file need updating
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
freshy98
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2002 2:22 pm    Post subject: vcron: 1 file need updating Reply with quote

I merged vcron which almost goes nicely, but when it finishes it says that 1 file need updating and to run "emerge --help config" for more info.
Doing that gives me the info about ifname(?) to search for files that need updating. Some kind of protection offered by emerge.

This is what I found:

/etc/._cfg0000_crontab

Strange thing is that when you use on of the other two cron's you also have to do a "crontab /etc/crontab" while that is not nescesarry for vcron.
I just did "crontab /etc/crontab" to see if it works, but nope. It doesn't solve it.

So, can someone help me with this? I just wanna get it right you see?

thanks in advance.
abhishek
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2002 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

U shuld emege gentoolkit and then run etc-update to update the confiog file. Gentoo will not automatically overwrite any fines in /etc.
freshy98
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2002 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok thanks, will try that one.

But what is "gentoolkit"? Why is it needed to update the config file?
It's also nowhere in the installation guide.
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2002 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

freshy98 wrote:
But what is "gentoolkit"? Why is it needed to update the config file?

It's not needed, but etc-update (which is included in gentoolkit) puts a bit of lipstick on the process. gentoolkit is a collection of system administration utilities that is mentioned in the FAQ under "When updating a package using emerge or ebuild, how do I avoid clobbering my config files?" If you think it's an important tool, please vote in my silly little poll.
freshy98
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2002 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your're a bit confussing.
First you say "gentoolkit" is not needed, then you say "etc-update" is included in the toolkit. :?:

If "etc-update" is included "gentoolkit" then "gentoolkit" should be made standard in system. Seems obvious to me.
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2002 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

freshy98 wrote:

You are not the first person to notice this fact. :)
Quote:
First you say "gentoolkit" is not needed, then you say "etc-update" is included in the toolkit. :?:

gentoolkit is needed if you want to use etc-update. etc-update is not the only way to update config files - you can do it by hand. Therefore, gentoolkit is not needed to update config files, but it makes it easier if you do install it and use etc-update.

Quote:
If "etc-update" is included "gentoolkit" then "gentoolkit" should be made standard in system. Seems obvious to me.

Seems that way to me, too, but I was going to wait to see what the poll showed before I decided whether or not to file a bug report.
freshy98
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2002 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

You are not the first person to notice this fact. :)

They say that about me here in the west of Holland. I come from the east of Holland and have a different accent and dialect. The dialect is ok, I can speak normal Dutch. That no problem. But the accent... They often can't here a word I'm saying :lol: Comes in handy now and then :lol:

Quote:

gentoolkit is needed if you want to use etc-update. etc-update is not the only way to update config files - you can do it by hand. Therefore, gentoolkit is not needed to update config files, but it makes it easier if you do install it and use etc-update.

Then what is the other way of doing it? I don't have internet where I stay mid weeks.

Quote:

Seems that way to me, too, but I was going to wait to see what the poll showed before I decided whether or not to file a bug report.[/quote]

Yeah, and that it be noted in the Installation Guide that when you emerge vcron you must also etc-update.

[edit]don't quote quotes 8) [/edit]
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2002 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

freshy98 wrote:
Then what is the other way of doing it? I don't have internet where I stay mid weeks.

You can use diff to compare the two versions, and then either:
a. throw away the new one because you don't like it;
b. overwrite your old one with the new one because you do like it;
c. manually make some changes to your old one and then delete the new one because you like only some parts of it.
klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2002 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, regarding etc-update, at least one member on this board (Autobot, I believe) has reported some problems with etc-update deleting all of his /etc files. May not have been etc-update's fault -- who knows.

Either way, given the importance of /etc files, backing things up before you go in and start mucking around is probably a wise idea. In fact, Autobot posted a nice script in the tips 'n' tricks forum that automatically backs up your /etc files each time you boot.

Or, you can be an stubborn old stick in the mud like me and just use diff. ;)

--kurt
freshy98
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2002 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

klieber: I think I will be stubborn too. Kinda have a reputation for it :wink:

thanks rac! will try it tonight.

Now only to get KDE merged. stupid kdelibs....
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: