Itanium2 Installs?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 9:14 pm    Post subject: Itanium2 Installs? Reply with quote

Curious if anyone has tried installing Gentoo on an Itanium2 system (IA64 not IA32 emulation)?

Last time I tried on a work machine, the livecd failed. I had to get it up fast so I had to resort to SuSE.

Itanium2 includes 900MHz and faster Itanium CPUs up to Itanium2 9100-series (dual core.) I recall having mostly hardware driver issues, which isn't way too unexpected.

Any recent installs? I'm trying to get one for my own to play with someday...
alex.blackbit
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not recent. i did a installation on a itanium1 about a year ago. i had some trouble, the installation was not really easy. but i managed to finish it.
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was the Gentoo LiveCD working properly for that Merced box? Or what was the biggest issue with it on that Itanium1? Which box was it (like, HP i2000?)

I'd like to get a HP ZX6000 someday... even as used, they're more spendy than I want to pay for at this point...

[ Update: looks like I may be getting a personal 2U machine soon. Time to see how well Gentoo works on it :) ]
helmholtz
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Itanium2 Installs? Reply with quote

eccerr0r wrote:
Curious if anyone has tried installing Gentoo on an Itanium2 system (IA64 not IA32 emulation)?
Any recent installs? I'm trying to get one for my own to play with someday...

I just installed Gentoo on an HP itanium2 rx1620, and everything worked out fine. There are ebuilds that need ~ia64 added to them, but I just overlay them and so far haven't had any troubles.
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ahh..so it should work. Not sure why my livecd is not working, suspecting a bad burn (somehow, md5sum appears to check out OK).

On another note, did anyone get ia32 emulation working? I figure it should work just like the em64t<->ia32 binary compatibility system? I tried chrooting into a ia32 stage4, and a lot of the binaries actually worked... 'du' seemed to fail though, but I didn't try everything else... Kind of funny, uname -a in the chroot will report i686.

Also the libata drivers do not appear to work with ICH4 on the Dell PowerEdge 3250... I don't know why I bothered trying, just for fun :)
Yury-Kozlov
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everything working fine on hp rx1620 if you using Gentoo LiveCD install-ia64-minimal-2007.0.iso Other cases I had problems too. For example when you trying to boot up from install-ia64-minimal-2008.0.iso the process of booting stop on

Starting Local [Ok]

message. DNS + LAMP + Postfix + Cyrus SASL + Courier-POP3D working stable and fast )))
armanox
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eccerr0r wrote:
On another note, did anyone get ia32 emulation working? I figure it should work just like the em64t<->ia32 binary compatibility system? I tried chrooting into a ia32 stage4, and a lot of the binaries actually worked... 'du' seemed to fail though, but I didn't try everything else... Kind of funny, uname -a in the chroot will report i686.

I seem to remember there being some issues with IA32 running on IA64 at the hardware level, which is why x64 was created. Just an odd blip in my memory.
ZeuZ_NG
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't it be EMT64 instead of IA64? IA is the compatibility layer as far as I know...
unzip ; strip ; touch ; grep ; finger ; \
mount ; fsck ; more ; yes ; umount ; sleep.
armanox
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No it would not. EM64T was Intel's implementation of AMD64, IA-64 came a while before that. Thus, they are two completely different architectures, with a common ancestor (the i686 arch (Pentium Pro - Pentium 3)). Also, since 2006, Itanium based processors do not support IA-32 on the hardware level (software emulated).
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh... well semi-necro/"[Solved]" --

I got my Itanium2 box a while ago, and the minimum-install CD works. The full LiveCD just has bugs (last time I checked it - it doesn't boot on my poweredge 3250). I don't think my ia64 box has a chance in heck of booting a normal ia32 CD, but I did get it to run linux-ia32 binaries without modification using hardware emulation -- it chroots to an ia32 install tree just fine after getting that kernel fix with threads.

I've yet to try the (free, as in beer) software emulation... Supposedly it's faster than the built-in hardware emulator due to being able to dynamically translate blocks of code -- something that hardware emulation can't do.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: