make.conf and make.globals
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shad
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2003 9:08 am    Post subject: make.conf and make.globals Reply with quote

I've set CFLAGS="-march=pentium3 -O3 -pipe" and CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS}" in make.conf.

Now when I compile something it mostly does not use those CFLAGS. It uses the ones from make.globals! (They're set "-O2 -mcpu686 -pipe" per default). In make.globals its explicitely said "WARNING DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE, changes to make.conf override this file."

eg: I'm currently recompiling my kernel (gentoo-gaming). It says "gcc -D__KERNEL [...] (and so on) -Wall -O2 -march=i686 [...]"
Why does it not compile with my CFLAGS set in make.conf ??
And eg
Code:

# cat /var/db/pkg/media-video/xine-ui-0.9.20/CFLAGS
-O2 -mcpu=i686 -pipe

shows also the wrong CFLAGS!
But
Code:

# cat /var/db/pkg/kde-base/kde-3.1.2/CFLAGS
-march=pentium3 -O3 -pipe

shows the right ones! I don't understand this! I never changed my CFLAGS since I first set it. Can anyone explain?

Edit: I did env-update and etc-update as described in the gentoo installation manual.
taskara
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2003 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

apps can override your settings and specify what it thinks are safer CFLAGS.

the kernel is one such "app".

there is a way to override it, but I can't remember how.

search specifically for kernel and flags... I remember seeing it here a number of months ago :)

so don't worry it's entirely normal
Shad
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2003 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wouldn't it be better (faster) If we could compile the kernel with march=pentium4 instead of just default mcpu=i686 ? Why isn't this possible without some "trick"? :)

Why shouldn't we edit the make.globals file?

Then I don't see the purpose of this make.conf anymore, most of my apps DO override this settings and use their own (slower) standard flags.
taskara
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2003 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

make.globals is overwritten every time you emerge sync

and the kernel compiles with the most stable FLAGS while providing the best performance.

u can compile your kernel with -march=pentium4 but you will prob find your system crashing for no particular reason.

but try it.

the only apps that I know of that overwride your make.conf are kernel, and openoffice.

most others I think adhear to your make.conf.

also if u stop the bootstrap process and start again it overwrites your make.con (it makes a backup and then copies it back .. at least it used to)

why don't u post your make.conf? I can have a look.. not that that is the problem here.. but u know..[/u]
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: