Garbled video, please help
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lordm0rdor
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2002 4:12 pm    Post subject: Garbled video, please help Reply with quote

Hi,

I have been having a problem with playing video for quite some time now. Every time I try to play video I get garbled output, here are a couple of screenshots of what the video looks like.

http://www.appstate.edu/!bj38118/xine1.jpg
http://www.appstate.edu/!bj38118/xine2.jpg

Not only does video do this with xine, it does it with aviplay and Mplayer. The output of each
of the video players looks almost identical. The videos do play, and it is 'sort of' possible to make out what is going on, oh yea and sound works fine.

I had video working under Gentoo a few months ago just fine, then I decided to switch to Slackware 8.1 (big mistake hehe) and it is there my problems began. After doing everything I could think of under Slackware I switch back to gentoo this weekend and the problems persist.

Things I have tried:
-the last 3 nvidia drivers (kernel & glx stuff)
-the Xfree86 projects Nv driver
-all of the video out drivers Xine offers (xv, x11, gl, gl2 etc...)
-different kernel configurations
-single and dual head output using the Nvidia driver
-multiple video files, (tons of DivX and mpeg files that work on other machines using
Xine, aviplay and Mplayer

I have no clue what else to try.... I am at the end of my rope :-\. Does anyone have
any ideas? The only thing I can think of is to start testing hardware, but it seems odd
that everything but video works. I even stepped as low as installing windows XP on
one of my drives to test video there (it works there btw).

Here are my system specs:
CPU: AMD Thunderbird 1.4ghz
Motherboard: Abit KG7-Raid
Video: Nvidia Geforce 2 MX (dual head output using twinview)
Sound: Sound blaster live
network: intel etherexpress pro

8.6g seagate /dev/hdg
15g western digital /dev/hdh
30g IBM /dev/hda
30g IBM /dev/hdb
Plextor 12x10x32a /dev/hdc

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Brent
delta407
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2002 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moving to Desktop Environments forum.
klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2002 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You posted the wrong links. They should be:

http://www.appstate.edu/~bj38118/xine1.jpg
http://www.appstate.edu/~bj38118/xine2.jpg

Please edit your post to correct them.

--kurt
klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2002 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since you state you've tried multiple different file formats (i.e. avi and mpeg) and the same problem occurs in all different formats, then it sounds like you've got a corrupted library somewhere, though I'm not sure where. Might try:

Code:
emerge -ep mplayer

or

Code:
emerge -ep xine

and look at the resulting dependencies. (specifically the ones in media-libs) I hesitate to recommend reinstalling all of them, but you might look for suspect ones, such as lcms, divx4linux, etc.

Now, those screenshots also look very similar to macrovision copyright protection -- I know you've said you'd tried multiple video files from all different sources, all of which work fine on other platforms, so that must not be the problem -- just mentioning that as an FYI.

--kurt

BTW: What Jay & Silent Bob movie were you watching? ;)
lordm0rdor
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2002 10:49 pm    Post subject: Is there any way that... Reply with quote

Is there any way that this could be cause by a hardware problem? Even though it did work in Windows 2 weeks ago, is there a remote possibility that this type of problem could be a video card defect even when everything besides playing movies works great?
klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2002 11:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Is there any way that... Reply with quote

lordm0rdor wrote:
Is there any way that this could be cause by a hardware problem?

Is there any way? Sure -- there's always a way. However, I doubt very much that it's the hardware that's causing those types of garbled videos that you took screenshots of. It's much more likely that it's a software problem. (or the video files got corrupted somehow)

--kurt
kemical
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2002 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that garbled video looks closely like when i try to play a divx4 video with only divx3 support on my computer.

not quite sure how video works for linux and how compliant it is to divx , but it could be that.

also, divx5 is out now so if linux has divx support it might not be up to date =D
lordm0rdor
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2002 3:09 pm    Post subject: More stuff tried Reply with quote

When I ran Gentoo in April everything was okie dokie. Videos played fine.... I switched to slackware 8.1 and the video was garbled... I went through everything I could think of and was unable to get video to work properly. I then though to myself, screw slackware, and went back to gentoo (a fresh install).... lo and behold I got the same dang video output as slackware.

Is there an easy way to see what was in the portage tree around April 10th or so, that way I can know what packages are different and start swapping stuff? I believe that it may be a new software package may be causing my woes.

Thusfar I have reemerged all of the media/libs stuff (unmerged, and emerged) just to make sure, and tried more x drivers (noteably VESA) and still have the same results.
lordm0rdor
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2002 10:00 pm    Post subject: <sigh> Reply with quote

Well, I have discovered it is not a video card problem :-\, I switched my video card with another GF2 and the same problem still :cry:

This is terribly frustrating..... Does anyone know where else I can turn for help on this problem, or any other thing I should try?

Thanks!!
metalhedd
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2002 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I Would be tempted to say its a problem with one of the media packages too. but you've gotta take into consideration the number of people that are installing or updating gentoo on any given day, you'd think that if it was a problem with one of the packages that it would have been reported by now. other than re-emerging mplayer/xine/whatever with all of its dependencies (-e i think) other things might be a corrupt disk, or the video file itself.

Klieber: I'm almost positive that its Mallrats... maybe clerks.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: