How To - Gentoo on the Samsung Q1-Ultra UMPC
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zach9824
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 11:29 pm    Post subject: How To - Gentoo on the Samsung Q1-Ultra UMPC Reply with quote

I recently completed a full Gentoo install on my Samsung Q1-Ultra UMPC, otherwise known as an Origami PC. I was concerned when I started because there isn't much information on installing Gentoo on a UMPC. There was one site I found while Googling around but it had somewhat negative results due to non-working touch, wireless drivers etc. Another site had information only using Ubuntu, with the same results.

Since I hold Gentoo near and dear to my heart, I decided to just give it a go. I am happy to report that everything works really well, even the touchscreen.

I am not sure how many people actually own a UMPC, let alone have the time to play with loading Linux on it. But if you have a Samsung Q1 (or any UMPC for that matter) and you are looking for up-to-date, detailed information on installing Gentoo on a UMPC you can read my guide here:

http://gentoo-wiki.com/HARDWARE_Samsung_UMPC_Q1-Ultra

It is still a work in progress, but I will attempt to be as detailed as possible.

Overall I am very happy with the performance of Gentoo on this small machine and compile times aren't as bad as one may think either!
d2_racing
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great howto :)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: