Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Gentoo sources on CD for users with dialup connections
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Duplicate Threads
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ed

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2002 10:41 am    Post subject: Gentoo sources on CD for users with dialup connections Reply with quote

Hi,

I have looked for answers to the following but couldn't find any references to these specific queries:

I am interested in getting into the full gentoo experience, i.e. I would like to build everything from scratch. However I only have a 56K dialup with an 8 hour cut-off so it is impractical to d/l everything in order to compile it. My strategy for bullk downloads is to go to a cyber cafe with a big pipe and burn CDs there, so d/ling the stage[1,2,3] image is easily doable, however it would be fun to do it all from source.

Are the sources available in a form suitable for generating one or more CD images? Assuming I went to the cybercafe and used ftp to get *.bz2 to burn them onto a couple of CDs, could I persuade emerge to look for the packages on CD rather than a network?

If the answer is RTFM, a pointer to TFM would be appreciated.

Ed
Infra
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2002 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=6468

Is that what you are looking for? I have the same kind of problem but i have isdn connection.
fghellar
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2002 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or maybe this one: https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=5224

(Note: the script does is not working with newer versions of portage. I'll fix it by tomorrow, hopefully...)
therootshell
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2002 5:14 pm    Post subject: Maybe the distfiles are what you are looking for... Reply with quote

Perhaps you are looking for this:
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=7609&highlight=

If you grab whatever Gentoo ISO you want and burn the distfiles to CD you should have everything you need. ftp://ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/gentoo/distfiles/ contains the distfiles - you can get all the files, or just the files you need (emerge --pretend is useful). Boot from the ISO, and when you get to the point of emerging things, mount the distfiles CD to /usr/portage/distfiles (or cp it from the CD to /usr/portage/distfiles, whatever your preference is). That way you can get up to the minute distfiles and not have to spend hours and hours downloading.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Duplicate Threads All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: