Very bizarre PCMCIA problem
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
semck83
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2003 9:10 pm    Post subject: Very bizarre PCMCIA problem Reply with quote

Hi all,

I have a Hitachi Visionbook 7560. When I boot normally, with or without a PCMCIA card in it, all is beautiful. But if I change "vga = normal" to "vga = 2" (or anything else) in lilo.conf, it freezes if (and only if) there is a PCMCIA card in the slot. The card I'm using is a Belkin wireless network card, if that's relevant.

It boots to a certain point, then freezes at the following message:

usb.c: registered new driver hub
Yenta IRQ list 00b8, PCI IRQ11
Socket status: 30000286

If I pop the card and put it right back in, the boot continues and the card is recognized just fine. Still this is an odd step. (FWIW I ran vga=2 and this same PCMCIA card fine with SuSE 7.1 + kernel 4.4.20).

I'm totally stumped -- any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Stephen
tdemarest
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2003 11:08 pm    Post subject: Similar problem, different kernel & hardware Reply with quote

I have a similar problem with the 2.6.0 beta kernel, Cisco aironet 350 card, on a Dell C400 - if it is in the slot during boot the entire PCMCIA services get messed up. If I boot without the card inserted, it works fine. Sorry this really isn't helpful, but my workaround has been to simply not insert the card until after boot.

The VGA options don't seem to make a difference in my case.
semck83
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2003 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Thank you for the reply. vga stopped affecting it for me after a few times changing it, too.... very odd. Anyhow, I got it fixed, by copying almost all of my kernel config stuff over from SuSE, with a few exceptions and improvements that I didn't think were related. It works now, but I don't know what fixed it! :(

If you want a copy of my .config, you can have it.

Thanks and all the best,
Stephen
Nermal
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2003 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm 90% sure its something ACPI related, seeing as ACPI is dodgy at best in linux atm, and either works well, or not well at all
tdemarest
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2003 5:15 am    Post subject: ACPI? Culprit? Reply with quote

I do have ACPI enabled. I'm having increasing problems with this card under 2.6.0-test1. The latest is that using Firebird with WiFi causes the system to freeze to the point of a full hard reboot. I haven't tried ftp or any other protocol other than http.
semck83
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2003 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have ACPI enabled. Incidentally I was wrong, I do still have the problem, and it's not related to VGA.... right now, bizarre as this seems, it seems to happen when I press enter at lilo but not if I wait the 8 seconds and let it autoboot. Hmmmm. Well, that will probably change too.

Stephen
Nostra23
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2003 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

got same problem ... at the moment i type modprobe yenta-socket system freezes...
hope that there is a solution thx
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: