Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Keyb prob with Alphaserver ES40 (solved to operate over net)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aeroflop
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 9:33 pm    Post subject: Keyb prob with Alphaserver ES40 (solved to operate over net) Reply with quote

I got my hands on 4-CPU Compaq Alphaserver ES40, so naturally I desided to head for Gentoo. But alas, the livecd boots up, but the keyboard won't work, so the local console is useless. While I happen to have another computers on homenet too, I decided not to fix the keyboard problem but to make the livecd to boot with known root password and SSHD enabled. If someone is having same kind of problems, here's the image. The root password is "alpha" and IP address gets set up via DHCP. Don't use on public, unshielded networks :).

http://www.zbxt.net/~aero/Gentoo_Alpha_Netready.iso
Banana
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx for your information on this and providing an iso image.

PFL - Portage file list - find which package a file or command belongs to.
nixnut
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved from Installing Gentoo to Gentoo on Alternative Architectures.

talk is cheap. supply exceeds demand
axpuser
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Keyb prob with Alphaserver ES40 (solved to operate over Reply with quote

Aeroflop wrote:
he livecd boots up, but the keyboard won't work, so the local console is useless.

Did you "set console graphic" in SRM before boot?
Aeroflop
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Keyb prob with Alphaserver ES40 (solved to operate over Reply with quote

axpuser wrote:

Nope, I didn't. From the online manual I understood that that would set the console to be used on local terminal, instead of serial or stupid host. Do you think that would help?

Another thing is that I'd guess using a serial terminal would also helped me over, but an empty CD-R was nearer (and I got away from the infernal noise that thing does).
axpuser
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Keyb prob with Alphaserver ES40 (solved to operate over Reply with quote

Aeroflop wrote:

Nope, I didn't. From the online manual I understood that that would set the console to be used on local terminal, instead of serial or stupid host.

Yes, it would set the console to be on the local VGA card and PS/2 keyboard and mouse connectors. From your post I assumed that you connected monitor and mouse to the machine connectors. (Thinking about issues years ago...) If you _did_ connect a serial console, it could be that the kernel does not switch to serial console during boot. There was some kernel parameter, I forget.

Aeroflop wrote:

Do you think that would help?

Definitely. The 2007.0 CD works fine for me on local graphics console on AS800 and PWS500au. I got a AS1200 today and will probably get an ES40 next week. I'll try those next week.
Aeroflop
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Keyb prob with Alphaserver ES40 (solved to operate over Reply with quote

axpuser wrote:

Yes, it would set the console to be on the local VGA card and PS/2 keyboard and mouse connectors. From your post I assumed that you connected monitor and mouse to the machine connectors. (Thinking about issues years ago...) If you _did_ connect a serial console, it could be that the kernel does not switch to serial console during boot. There was some kernel parameter, I forget.

Yes, I do have local VGA and keyboard connected straightly to the machine. I mean that I came to the conclusion that local VGA/keyboard wouldn't be visible and useable at SRM, if the machine was set for serial console or stupid host. The previous owner had successfully installed Debian on the machine and he told me that the problem only exists with Gentoo and some BSD's.

And yes, there is a kernel parameter for serial console, it's "console=ttyS0".

[/quote]

Definitely. The 2007.0 CD works fine for me on local graphics console on AS800 and PWS500au. I got a AS1200 today and will probably get an ES40 next week. I'll try those next week.[/quote]

Ok. I'll have to try that, just for curiosity (even though it killed the cat - luckily I'm not the cat :p).
Aeroflop
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Keyb prob with Alphaserver ES40 (solved to operate over Reply with quote

axpuser wrote:

No bonus, local keyboard still does nothing.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: