PCMCIA Frustration
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
marthisdil
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2002 10:20 pm    Post subject: PCMCIA Frustration Reply with quote

OK, I've done most everything under the sun in order to get Gentoo to recognize my PCMCIA on my Dell Lattitude CPtS laptop. Installation from the Stage 1 ISO goes flawlessly, pcmcia is recognized and the network works using the PCMCIA drivers, etc on the install ISO. However, after compiling the kernel, and rebooting, it doesn't work. Compiling with PCMCIA in and out of the kernel doesn't matter.

It makes no sense...anyone else have any ideas?

Jason
novice
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2002 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was in the same situation a few days a go (numerous times with built-in and numerous time as modules) with zero luck. if you haven't got yours to work, try this approach.

- run make menuconfig as usual
- uncheck the pcmcia/cardbus option
- configure the rest of the stuff like you have been doing
- finish running make dep, make clean, make bzImage, etc
- run emerge pcmcia-cs
- run rc-update add pcmcia default
- complete the rest of the installation

it works for me (just finished mine and rebooted, now my nic is up and humming ':D'

btw, i got mine working just from reading the many tips/suggestions from this forum.. thanks ppl...

could someone tell me how long does it take to emerge kde? just curious. i plan to leave it on overnight.
credmp
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2002 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What NIC do you have? I had a 3c575 and it borked on me with just pure pcmcia-cs package. I had to use the kernel module. also you might want to see if you put all you need in modules.autoload (pcmcia-code i82365 ds) and that pcmcia is added to default runlevel if you use just pcmcia-cs

-- Arjen
novice
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2002 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

credmp,

i have 3c574 nic. i tried with pcmcia/cardbus as built-in and 3c574 as built-in, then as module. in either cases, my nic was not up. when i attempted to mimic the installation steps (insmod pcmcia-core, insmod i82365, etc), i got error message like modules not found or something like that. i read the pcmcia-howto, ethernet-howto but did not get any resolution until yesterday when i read the post "pcmcia-cs instructions for Gentoo users" by chadh. i gave it a shot and sure enough, on reboot, my nic was up and running.

i am still trying to get a better understanding of the process of hardware installation (detection, configuration, etc) in the linux world. i am sure to run into alot of frustration, but the reward is sweet. and that's what count the most :)
marthisdil
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2002 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys - I finally got my Laptop working - the gory details are listed in the following link:

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=7331

What I ended up doing, in a nutshell, was a FRESH install. When it came time to configure the kernel options, I configured it without PCMCIA/CardBus support and WITHOUT support for the network card. I then compiled the kernal, etc. Once done, did an emerge pcmcia-cs. Made sure that the /etc/init.d/net was configured right, and that /etc/conf.d/pcmcia looked ok (made the net script use dhcp for eth0).

Then, I rebooted, logged in. There was no network support (as there shouldn't have been).

I then did:

insmod pcmcia_core
insmod i82365
insmod ds
cardmgr -f

And my network card came to life, the net script got an ip address, and all was good.

Chad then told me to add the i82365 and ds entries into /etc/modules.autoload, and do an rc-update add pcmcia default so the pcmcia_core would get loaded, did those, rebooted, and wham, networking up on boot.

Hope this helps everyone a little.

Jason
marthisdil
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2002 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

novice wrote:
could someone tell me how long does it take to emerge kde? just curious. i plan to leave it on overnight.
After I got networking working, I started the KDE merge shortly after midnight the other night. It completed compiling X and KDE a bit before 1PM the same day - this was on my Dell laptop with a celeron 500 processor and 256MB of memory.

Jason
novice
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2002 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jason,

thanks for the info. i started the emerge kde process last night around 11:30 or so; it was still running when i left for work this morning. i have a compaq armada 1750 pii 400 with 128MB ram. i hope it finished by the time i get home.
aych
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have an ibm x20 500 celeron 120 ram... its been going at it for around 20 hrs.. and still has 82 packages to do
Frozensun
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aych wrote:
i have an ibm x20 500 celeron 120 ram... its been going at it for around 20 hrs.. and still has 82 packages to do

something that helps is to run this

Code:
emerge kde -pv

the p is for pretend, the v is for verbose

it will show which flags it uses with a +flag such as +jpeg

if you
Code:
nano /etc/make.conf

use can change flags in the USE=" " variable to add or remove use flags, which can reduce packages used in compiling for things you don't need

I cut my kde install down from 60 packages to around 30...
volospin
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This only works with kernel 2.4.xx, right?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: