Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Bus Errors on multiple programs, python? udev?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jstead1
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 1:33 am    Post subject: Bus Errors on multiple programs, python? udev? Reply with quote

I am getting bus errors on multiple programs, unfortunately including portage.
# emerge (followed by anything)
results in the following

Code:
# emerge anything
Bus error

firefox gives the following:
Code:
$ firefox
No running windows found
/usr/libexec/mozilla-launcher: line 119:  6360 Bus error               $(type -P aoss) "$mozbin" "$@"
firefox-bin exited with non-zero status (135)

python-updater
Code:
# python-updater
 * Unable to proceed. Can not find PORTDIR. Make sure the command:
 *   portageq portdir
 * returns a value. If it doesn't, make sure you have updated to
 * latest portage version.
 * Report bugs to http://bugs.gentoo.org/

similar for wget
Code:
# wget
Bus error

I tried the portage rescue method here (I had to download the tarball with konqueror since wget doesn't work), it makes no difference
http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/portage/doc/manually-fixing-portage.xml

On the other hand, X works fine, kdm, konqueror, every kde app I have tried.

The last emerge I did was:
media-libs/libpng
sys-apps/kbd
dev-libs/openssl
media-libs/netpbm
media-sound/amarok

I tried the instructions for the openssl build (revdep-rebuild against the libcrypto.so.0.9.7 and libssl.so.0.9.7 libraries) but it didn't come up with anything to rebuild, and it couldn't have rebuilt it anyway, since portage is broke.

The system may have been powered off, but I ran fsck or xfs_check and xfs_repair on all partitions, and nothing was found or fixed.

Any suggestions?
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jstead1,

Bus errors indicate an attempt to access memory (or a memory mapped device) you don't have.
They often indicate a hardware issue but not always memory or memory controller.
It may be somethng as simple as a clogged heatsink and fan on the CPU.

Its worth running memtest86, which is a boot option from the liveCD.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
jstead1
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finished running memtest86.
No errors.

I didn't really expect any, since every kde app seems to work fine. X works fine.

I know most all python scripts fail or at least indicate bus errors(emerge, dipatch-conf, revdep-rebuild).
GTK apps seem to fail (firefox, gnucash)

The odd one is wget I don't think that has all that many dependencies (can't run any portage tools, except etc-update, so I can't say for sure).
I think wget needs some sort of ssl libraries, and that may be related, but I can't rebuild openssl without portage, and I can't get portage to work.
Even using the ebuild command on packages that are already fetched fails with a bus error.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jstead1,

Try running python-updater which you should already have.

I'm not yet convinced its not a thermal issue. Running programs and memtest is not as thermally stressful to the CPU as compiling.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
gerard27
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well,he gets the error before anything is being compiled.
Gerard.
http://www.sysresccd.org/Download
jstead1
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeddySeagoon:
python-updater is broken (it is looking for information from portageq, which doesn't work because it generates a bus error).

As stated by Gerard van Vuuren, I don't get to the point of compiling anything, emerge immediately bombs out with a bus error.

I really don't think it is a thermal issue. The response is the same if the computer is off overnight, or running continuously. The errors are only in certain programs, never in others and are 100% repeatable, and never vary, regardless of thermal conditions.

The error never occurs in kde programs, even with several browser (konqueror) windows, amarok playing music, system information graphs running, un-tarring a big archive, and doing this continuously for hours. The computer is completely stable. Even when I get the bus error on certain programs, it doesn't affect any other program.

But if I boot up the cold computer, into a command prompt, and run wget, I get a bus error.

In addition, knoppix works fine on the computer.

I have untarred python from a repository, untarred portage from a repository, and no change (this is the basic solution to when you have screwed up your portage or python and need to get it back, basic gentoo survival skills). I don't know if there is some part of the ebuilds for either of these that would make changes that would't be performed from the untarring process.
Genone
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first try would be a new (or old) kernel.
jstead1
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tried older kernel 2.6.22-gentoo-r2, current kernel rebuilt 2.6.22-gentoo-r5, and newer kernel 2.6.22-gentoo-r8.
The only difference is X wouldn't work with the nvidia driver because I couldn't build it against the new kernel.

All the other errors remain the same.

Edit for more info: I did not experience the error previously with the r2 or r5 kernel, I used them for a while and the error started well after starting the use of the r5 kernel. So in short, the error didn't appear co-incident with a kernel upgrade.

It did appear shortly after an emerge was completed, and shortly after a possible power interruption. I know boot was not mounted even if the computer did suffer a power interruption.
jstead1
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldn't figure this one out.
Eventually, I re-installed.
(I don't back-up my whole system, just my data and certain configuration files.)

That fixed the problem, at least for now.
If it was hardware related, I guess it will come back (although the computer survived about 36 hours of continuous compiling) :-)
If not, I guess I'll never know exactly what happened.
migmedia
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:15 am    Post subject: Bus Error - me too Reply with quote

jstead1 wrote:
(I don't back-up my whole system, just my data and certain configuration files.)

If it was hardware related, I guess it will come back (although the computer survived about 36 hours of continuous compiling) :-)

At my laptop the same occured twice. It appared after a misfortuned reboot.
I rebuild my whole system from scratch (stage2)
3 days everything was ok. Now I have the same problem again.
jstead1 wrote:

It seems to be a accidented merge of some system lib: something like gettext... (just a thought)
jstead1
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus Error - me too Reply with quote

migmedia wrote:
jstead1 wrote:

At my laptop the same occured twice. It appared after a misfortuned reboot.
I rebuild my whole system from scratch (stage2)
3 days everything was ok. Now I have the same problem again.
jstead1 wrote:

It seems to be a accidented merge of some system lib: something like gettext... (just a thought)

Just curious, when you had the bus error problem, did it only affect a limited number of programs (see earlier posts)?
In my case, X, all kde apps and many other things worked. Python based programs (emerge, and most portage tools), and gtk based programs (gnucash, firefox) did not. wget also did not work. If I get some time, I might look to see which libraries are used by the packages that did not work, and not used by the packages that worked. I couln't do this very well when portage and all the portage tools were broken on my machine, but they all work now.
migmedia
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus Error - me too Reply with quote

It's like in your posts above.

in addition:
qbankmanager is affected
sshd is affected
Code:

#> /etc/init.d/sshd start
* Caching service dependencies ...
/etc/init.d/sshd: line 17:  5012 Bus error                 "${SSHD_BINARY}" -t ${myopts}

the 2nd time its occurred after...
Code:

#> emerge kde-meta-3.5.8 -uaDtv
#> etc-config
#> reboot

the system hung and after a little while I hard-reseted the system to restart.

Very strange: curl works, wget does not
Some python scripts work (python-updater, revdep-rebuild (the parts without emerge)) some not (emerge, equery)
Could it be a problem with libssl?
All affected programs deal with encryption/hashs ...

just my 2 cents
migmedia
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: Bus Error - solved for me Reply with quote

migmedia wrote:

Could it be a problem with libssl?
All affected programs deal with encryption/hashs ...

That was the right clue. Manually replacing the files in /usr/lib/* from an openssl-binary fixes the situation.
Why hit this error me twice? I guess a coincident problem in my configs and a unlucky reboot.

So it is very unlikely you made the same mistake. But to answer to your symtoms:

Just replace the following files with fresh ones from a pkg openssl-0.9.8*.tbz2 of your arch.
Code:

/usr/lib/libcrypto.a
/usr/lib/libcrypto.so.0.9.8
/usr/lib/libssl.a
/usr/lib/libssl.so.0.9.8

then re-emerge openssl
nephron
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey guys!

i have a new quitly nice gentoo install crypted on the way like this tutorial discribes:

SECURITY System Encryption DM-Crypt with LUKS

well now, for 3 days i had a very strange problem with Bus errors like you and i can't figure out, why the problem occured...
i disided to check your idea, but i must tell you that this not solved the problem. I can't find any precompiled packages so i downloaded the sourcecodes and compiled it by myself. After the install-procedure the problem is still killing all emerges and other programs with Bus errors.

Also very strange: i tried to boot up my system by hand to copy the files from the livecd. At env-update also the same error occured.

Has anyone some ideas to this UNSOLVED Bus Error problem?

thx a lot

nephron
nephron
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anyone an idea?
Insanity5902
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

might of found the problem, ran into the same problems today, tried replacing libssl and libcrypto, but no luck. thought it might be a libexpat thing, but still no.

Ended up putting trace statements into a portage bin that was producing the error (just a lot shorter than the emerge script :D). Anyways, after tracing the error through all the portage includes, it took me back to the core portage 2.4 files, not sure why. The files would import find winside a shell. I am not sure why, python 2.5 isn't stable on yet.

Anyways, I package up python from a similar system (Intel 64 instead of amd 64) and reset the python symlink to python2.5 and that work. I had to mainly package up the python2.5, might of been able to use quickpkg, but i didn't think of it until afterwards.

For reference i grabbed
/usr/bin/python2.5
/usr/include/pythyon2.5/*
/usr/lib64/python2.5/*
/usrlib64/libpython2.5*

tar up those for commands, and copy over to the other box, if you don't have access to antoher box, you might be able to download them from a binhost and extarct them that way. Then symlink python to python2.5

afterthough -- i recompiled python-2.4 relinked the symlink and now everything works ...
sentenza
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 5:22 pm    Post subject: Looks like broken library Reply with quote

Hi,

Ran also into this problem today, and finally discovered that my 32bits version of libgtk was corrupted on disk.
As I'm using XFS and got a powerloss last night, this is not surprising.

If you also experience that problem, try to use strace to identify what goes wrong before crash. This may help you to identify the library that cause these bus error. This may be harder to fix when portage is broken, otherwise try to:

Code:

~ $ strace my_application_generating_buserror
.... Lot of output...
crash!

Look in history, in my case the interesting parts looks like this :

Code:

open("/usr/lib32/libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0", O_RDONLY) = 3
read(3, "\177ELF\1\1\1\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\3\0\3\0\1\0\0\0\320i\4\0004\0\0\0"..., 512) = 512
fstat64(0x3, 0xffc306f4)                = 0
mmap2(NULL, 3534452, PROT_READ|PROT_EXEC, MAP_PRIVATE|MAP_DENYWRITE, 3, 0) = 0xfffffffff6f08000
mmap2(0xf7260000, 24576, PROT_READ|PROT_WRITE, MAP_PRIVATE|MAP_FIXED|MAP_DENYWRITE, 3, 0x358) = 0xfffffffff7260000
--- SIGBUS (Bus error) @ 0 (0) ---
+++ killed by SIGBUS +++

So the last opened library was /usr/lib32/libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0. Try then:

Code:

equery belongs /usr/lib32/libgtk-x11-2.0.so
[ Searching for file(s) /usr/lib32/libgtk-x11-2.0.so in *... ]
app-emulation/emul-linux-x86-gtklibs-20071214 (/usr/lib32/libgtk-x11-2.0.so -> libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0.1200.1)

You can now re-emerge the affected package... if portage still works :wink:

Before this you may have to:

Code:

~ $ emerge strace -> provides strace
~ $ emerge gentoolkit -> provides equery

Regarding the xfs tools not finding errors, even if some files are actually broken, this tread may be of interest: https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-463713-highlight-.html
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: