Automated online backup
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
XParrot
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2002 12:59 am    Post subject: Automated online backup Reply with quote

Hi everyone!

Like most people I have a small (~10 Mb compressed and encrypted) amount of data on my home PC that is so crucial that it would be a catastrophy if it was lost; mostly my docs (I write a lot), my calendar and my source code. Hence I need a frequent (preferably daily) fully automated backup. I don't really feel that just copying it to another HD is protection enough - I want offsite backup.

So I started to look around at the various free disk space offerings on the web, to see if there was any that was accessible by ftp (this interface would be a dream for anyone writing a script). Unfortunately there was not :( . I decided to not let myself be beaten so easily and looked into making a bot that used the web-interface of for example http://www.kturn.com or http://briefcase.yahoo.com to automatically upload my files. Using the urllib of python, I made some progress, but not enough. I have not been able to make it work since the sites I've tried need troublesome cookies and/or javascript to login.

I am sure that I am not the first to have these thoughts. Has anybody out there come up with a good scheme? I am pretty much a novice when it comes to web-programming, so I figure that probably someone else have succeded where I've failed, and made a nice command-line interface (or lib or whatever) with access to something like briefcase.yahoo. Do you have any other suggestions? Is there a couple of megs of free ftp space to be had somewhere?
:?:

/XParrot, who _really_ would appreciate any replies
delta407
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2002 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tend to use rsync to backup to offsite places, but that's because I control several machines over a wide geographic area. If your ISP provides a shell server (like mine does... :D), you could probably scp it in. If they give you some webspace (10 MB), you could probably use FTP. Otherwise, you could just order a web hosting package, put a zero-byte index.html in the root, ftp all your data in, and chmod 600 it.
kcsduke
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2002 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using rdiff-backup to run a nightly backup of my home directory and a few others. I'm just backing up to another harddrive, but rdiff-backup also has the capablility to do remote backups. I read that is like rsync but more reliable, though I can't verify this. It's easy to set up and stick in your crontab. It's worth checking out; I've been quite happy with it. Here's the homepage: http://rdiff-backup.stanford.edu/ . There is an ebuild for it.

BTW, how do you encrypt the files? I was wondering how to do that recently
delta407
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2002 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I don't encrypt my files during a backup. I don't use FTP (since passwords are in cleartext), and I have rsync set to only talk to the IP(s) I will be rsyncing from. scp copies files over SSL, so...

Anyway, if I want to keep something private, I use PGP. I'm not to worried about anything getting sniffed during transit, though, since I don't have any private information in the backups, just information I don't want to lose.
XParrot
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2002 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If your ISP provides a shell server (like mine does... ), you could probably scp it in. If they give you some webspace (10 MB), you could probably use FTP. Otherwise, you could just order a web hosting package, put a zero-byte index.html in the root, ftp all your data in, and chmod 600 it.

My ISP is great, but they don't provide anything but a static IP and lotsa bandwidth, i.e no web space and definitely no shell servers. I've been looking at a few web hosting deals, but most of them are now so "user friendly" that you can't upload your pages via ftp, you have to use their online scripts. I'll keep looking, though.
XParrot
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2002 12:38 pm    Post subject: Solution Reply with quote

I think I've found a solution. Fortunecity allows 100 megs and ftp-access. There are some small snags, like files cannot be larger than 3 Mb and they must have one of a number of predefined extensions (no problem Mr Fortunecity, I'll name my files whatever you like :lol: ). Now I'll just have to whip together a script for daily backup of a list of files and directories, compression, perhaps encryption, chunking files to 3 Mb, uploading and weekly verification.

:?: On a related note - is there something like a script repository for gentoo :?:
I have some neat scripts that I'd be happy to share. I imagine that there are a lot of clever/interesting scripts, aliases, etc, out there just waiting to be shared with the world.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: