64-bit progress (and near-success)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
adam613
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2003 6:39 am    Post subject: 64-bit progress (and near-success) Reply with quote

I built a 64-bit native gcc, and it can compile both itself and glibc properly. Turns out the trick to getting 64-bit and 32-bit glibcs to coexist is to build everything with --prefix=/usr. That will cause glibc's build to make /lib64 and /usr/lib64. You also need to edit the gcc specs file to specify the correct defaults, and set CC before you run glibc's configure script.

I'll post a build script when I finish refining it and figure out exactly what I did that worked.

There are three remaining problems, which are really one problem (before anyone asks, no, I do not practice Christianity):

1) my compiler won't work unless you pass it -m32 or -m64 on the command line.
2) there are some fairly serious mistakes in the stager script and the portage ebuild.
3) since the portage ebuild and Makefile both ignore CFLAGS, I can't build a stage1.

In other words, things don't "just work" on sparc like they do on x86. I'm attempting to take these problems up with the appropriate authorities, but if someone here is one of those authorities, I've got some patches for you. :)
bazik
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2003 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just one simple questions: Will it be possible to create a 64bit LiveCD and a 64bit Stage1 tarball wich can be used like for the "normal" install and create a full 64bit system? If yes, that would be really cool for most users :)

Is there a great speed difference between full 64bit Linux on Sparc and the current 64bit kernel / 32bit userland combo?

Good luck for your project!
adam613
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2003 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Just one simple questions: Will it be possible to create a 64bit LiveCD and a 64bit Stage1 tarball wich can be used like for the "normal" install and create a full 64bit system? If yes, that would be really cool for most users :)

That's what I'm trying to do now. Well, I'm not quite ready to touch the LiveCD with a 10-ft pole. But I'm trying to build a 64-bit stage1 tarball.

Quote:
Is there a great speed difference between full 64bit Linux on Sparc and the current 64bit kernel / 32bit userland combo?

Probably. I'm going to do some benchmarking once I get it to work, but I'd appreciate help from anyone who knows about these matters, because i don't :)
xming
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2003 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

64-bit is generally slower than 32-bit except in 2 case

- When you need more than 4GB of virtual memory or your process needs more than 4 GB (impossible with 32-bit)

- When you are working with numbers bigger then 2^32

For the rest 64-bit binaries are bigger (slower to load) and if I'm not mistaken use more memory (slower to run)

xming
bazik
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2003 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xming wrote:
64-bit is generally slower than 32-bit except in 2 case

- When you need more than 4GB of virtual memory or your process needs more than 4 GB (impossible with 32-bit)

- When you are working with numbers bigger then 2^32

For the rest 64-bit binaries are bigger (slower to load) and if I'm not mistaken use more memory (slower to run)

xming

Thanks for the clear info.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: