Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
how to see NTFS system when using gentoo ?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Duplicate Threads
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kimkhue
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 2:21 am    Post subject: how to see NTFS system when using gentoo ? Reply with quote

i'm using vista, but i don't like it now . It make my pc work overload . Now i want to install gentoo distro. But my data is in ntfs hard disk and i want to see and use it when using Gentoo. How to do it ?

Sorry but i'm new here and i searched , but i can't find the answer.

Thank you all
poly_poly-man
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

probably answered somewhere... but a quick google search shows some hits (sorry, I'm grumpy ;) )

Anyway, check http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Mount_MS_Windows_partitions_(FAT,NTFS) out.

And you'll want sys-fs/ntfsprogs

poly-p man

avatar: new version of logo - see topic 838248. Potentially still a WiP.
wdsci
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That wiki link is what you need if you've already got Linux installed, but as I understand it you haven't installed Linux yet, and you have a Vista-only computer right now . . . if that's the case, you might want some of this information. Now, which of these options do you want?
  • You want to set your computer up as a dual-boot, so that you can choose whether to use Windows Vista or Gentoo each time you start it up
  • You have some data files (like text documents, PDF files, pictures, music files, etc.) on Windows that you would like to be able to access from Gentoo, but you don't need to use Windows Vista at all anymore
If you're not sure, go with the first option - it's safer.

In the first case, you should shrink the Windows Vista partition and install Gentoo in the leftover space. The official Gentoo installation instructions (which you should be following closely) tell you to use fdisk and mkfs to partition the disk and create the filesystems, but this will probably not work with Vista - there are additional steps you need to take. I personally had good results using GParted to partition the disk and create the filesystems; the procedure that worked for me was:
1) Download the GParted LiveCD, burn it to a CD disk, and boot from that CD
2) Use GParted to shrink the Vista partition and create your desired Linux partitions in the empty space. Apply the changes and reboot, but before the computer restarts, take out the GParted LiveCD and put in your Windows Vista installation CD so that when the computer restarts, it is running the Vista installer.
3) Use the Vista installer to "Repair" your Windows installation. The computer should automatically restart as part of the repair. This time, let it boot from the hard drive so that Vista starts up.
4) Windows will run a disk check and then reboot again. And again, let it boot from the hard drive so that Vista starts up.
5) Make sure Vista is running, at least to the point where you are able to login, and you might want to check that your important data is still there. Then put the Gentoo install CD in the drive and reboot, so that the Gentoo installer starts up.
6) At this point, just go through the Gentoo installation procedure from the beginning, skipping sections 4.b ("Designing a Partitioning Scheme"), 4.c ("Using fdisk to Partition your Disk"), and 4.d ("Creating Filesystems"), because you already did those steps with GParted. Except, you still need to run the swapon command (not mkswap, just swapon) as specified in the installation instructions. Also, when you get to the section on kernel configuration, if you're not using genkernel, enable the NTFS support option(s) under File Systems.
From the information I found online, though, I'd guess that this prodcedure may not work for everyone. So if at all possible, back up anything important from Vista before starting.

In the second case, if you don't need Vista at all anymore, just back up all your important files, and follow the Gentoo install instructions, including sections 4.b, 4.c, and 4.d - specifically, do use fdisk to
partition your drive, and do delete all your partitions with it as the installation instructions tell you to. Of course, once you do this, no more Vista on your computer, so make sure you saved everything you might want . . . :wink:

:) David

Last edited by wdsci on Sun Oct 14, 2007 9:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
musv
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are far easier solutions:

To shrink your Vista-partition just do ist with Partition Magic or something similar in Windows. Afterwards you can create into the freed space a Linux-parition. This you can also do with Parition Magic in Windows.

If you just want to read ntfs-paritions in Gentoo, you can do it with der Kernel built in ntfs-drivers. They also provide a basic write support. If you need a real write support to your ntfs-partition do it with ntfs-3g:

Code:
[I] sys-fs/ntfs3g
     Available versions:  1.810 (~)1.913 (~)1.1004 {suid}
     Installed versions:  1.1004(09:48:42 14.10.2007)(-suid)
     Homepage:            http://www.ntfs-3g.org
     Description:         Open source read-write NTFS driver that runs under FUSE

Be aware: Some people in this forum reported of some problems to read ntfs-partitions created by Windows Vista.

How to partition you Gentoo-system you can find in the Gentoo Installation Docs
padoor
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

as musv said you have to remake the bzImage of the kernel. with ntfs enabled module/built in.
best is do readonly.
Banana
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just create some free space and then follow the gentoo install guides (please use the gentoo minimal install cd).
make sure it works and boots safely and then you have to activate the required settings in the kernel, recompile and you are done !

PFL - Portage file list - find which package a file or command belongs to.
padoor
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you can get hold of a pclinuxos2007 livecd or download the iso and burn the image of it.,boot from that and use the graphical qtparted (diskdrake) which is in the cd you can shrink the vista partition and make space for gentoo.
you can chroot into the pslinuxos and do full installation of gentoo with that.
errors if any you can post here as the pclos is full working system on cd. it will help
nixnut
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved from Installing Gentoo to Duplicate Threads.
Moved in favour of https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=10147

talk is cheap. supply exceeds demand
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Duplicate Threads All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: