View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
iplayfast
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2002 11:42 pm    Post subject: kdm won't start gnome or kde or fluxbox Reply with quote

I've added 5 users (for my family), but I can't figure out why gnome, kde or fluxbox doesn't start. (I've been spoiled by Mandrake which handles all this for me).

All I can do is use root in kde or gnome. (Fluxbox is a bust so far).

I'm sure there's a simple answer, but I haven't found it in the forums (am I the only one with this problem?)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2002 12:49 am    Post subject: Re: kdm won't start gnome or kde or fluxbox Reply with quote

What is the error you are getting?
iplayfast wrote:
I've added 5 users (for my family), but I can't figure out why gnome, kde or fluxbox doesn't start. (I've been spoiled by Mandrake which handles all this for me).

All I can do is use root in kde or gnome. (Fluxbox is a bust so far).

I'm sure there's a simple answer, but I haven't found it in the forums (am I the only one with this problem?)
iplayfast
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2002 3:17 am    Post subject: The error I'm getting Reply with quote

When i use gnome and fluxbox the screen resets after awhile, and I'm back at kdm.

Using kde, it goes through a set up, and talks about problems writing to dcop or something (interprocess communcations). In kde.log it talks about /usr/kde/2/... (see below) which makes no sense since I'm using kde 3.

/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xdm/Xsetup_0: cd: /root/.kde/share/config/kdm: No such file o
r directory
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xdm/Xsetup_0: cd: /usr/kde/2/share/config/kdm: No such file o
r directory
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xdm/Xsetup_0: cd: /usr/share/config/kdm: No such file or dire
ctory
Could not init font path element /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Speedo/, removing from
list!
Xlib: extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".
sessions: SessionTypes=Xsession,kde-3.0.2,
Naan Yaar
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2002 3:46 am    Post subject: Re: The error I'm getting Reply with quote

These "errors" are normal. It is looking for kdm config files in different locations if it can. Did you do:
Code:

useradd -m <user_name>

to create the users? Their home directories may not exist. Do:
Code:

cat /etc/passwd

Check whether home directories listed under their names exist.

iplayfast wrote:
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xdm/Xsetup_0: cd: /root/.kde/share/config/kdm: No such file o
r directory
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xdm/Xsetup_0: cd: /usr/kde/2/share/config/kdm: No such file o
r directory
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xdm/Xsetup_0: cd: /usr/share/config/kdm: No such file or dire
ctory
Could not init font path element /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Speedo/, removing from
list!
sessions: SessionTypes=Xsession,kde-3.0.2,
Naan Yaar
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2002 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you didn't create home directories as described above, just do:
Code:

userdel <user_name>
useradd -m <user_name>

and you should be all set.
iplayfast
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2002 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naan Yaar wrote:
If you didn't create home directories as described above, just do:
Code:

userdel <user_name>
useradd -m <user_name>

and you should be all set.

I tried that to no avail. I even tried userdel -r <user_name> and then adding it back.

However I tried adding a new name (with -m) and that worked ok for gnome and kde.

So it would appear that the problem is that the original username has screwed up something. (But what!?)
iplayfast
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2002 6:17 am    Post subject: I'm making progress. Reply with quote

I deleted all the chris files (my username that I'm testing with) in the tmp directory. Now I can log in with gnome and kde. Still some problems though.
Gnome, the top menu bar doesn't show up. The only way I can get out is ctrl-alt-backspace. Also there's no programs configureed (is that right?)

kde complains about sound. I get sound when I log in as root, (although it seems that the sounds are jumbled at startup). When logged in as chris it says It couldn't open or read (can't remember which) /dev/dsp permission denied. ls /dev/dsp -l shows:
lr-xr-xr-x 1 root root 9 Jul 14 17:10 /dev/dsp -> sound/dsp

Fluxbox still not working at all.

Thanks for your help so far. Any more ideas?
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2002 6:50 am    Post subject: Re: I'm making progress. Reply with quote

iplayfast wrote:
kde complains about sound. I get sound when I log in as root, (although it seems that the sounds are jumbled at startup). When logged in as chris it says It couldn't open or read (can't remember which) /dev/dsp permission denied. ls /dev/dsp -l shows:
Sounds like the user is not in the audio group.
Naan Yaar
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2002 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: I'm making progress. Reply with quote

Good call re: tmp dir :). There may be some stray gnome daemons left behind when you logged in as the user without a home directory. To solve this, you can do:

- log in to the console as the user. Don't have his session open in X. Do "oaf-slay" from the console.
- do "find /tmp -user <user_name> -exec rm {} \;" to delete user files in /tmp
- nb. you can user "-ok rm {}..." instead of -exec... to get confirmation on every file you delete
- do "find /home/<user_name> -ok rm {} \;" to delete stray files left behind by previous attempts. Remember to not to delete .bashrc, etc.

I shudder as I am typing this :D, but you can also do a reboot to kill off stray daemon processes that may prevent things from working correctly instead of doing oaf-slay, etc.

Re: audio problem in kde. You need to add the user to the audio group. You do this by doing:
Code:

usermod -G audio <user_name>

iplayfast wrote:
I deleted all the chris files (my username that I'm testing with) in the tmp directory. Now I can log in with gnome and kde. Still some problems though.
Gnome, the top menu bar doesn't show up. The only way I can get out is ctrl-alt-backspace. Also there's no programs configureed (is that right?)

Fluxbox still not working at all.

Thanks for your help so far. Any more ideas?
iplayfast
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2002 3:09 am    Post subject: got it!!! Reply with quote

I've now got gnome and sound! beautiful. Gnome is acting very feature poor, but that might just be V 2. (I seleect gnome_terminal, and the terminal pops up and says it can't find itself!).

Now onto fluxbox (since that seems to be the current rave!).

Thanks for your help.
Naan Yaar
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2002 3:48 am    Post subject: Re: got it!!! Reply with quote

Curious... what did the trick in the end?
iplayfast wrote:
I've now got gnome and sound! beautiful. Gnome is acting very feature poor, but that might just be V 2. (I seleect gnome_terminal, and the terminal pops up and says it can't find itself!).

Now onto fluxbox (since that seems to be the current rave!).

Thanks for your help.
iplayfast
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2002 5:11 am    Post subject: Re: got it!!! Reply with quote

Naan Yaar wrote:
Curious... what did the trick in the end?

a reboot, and usermod -G audio <user_name> for all the users. I then added speechd which worked. (and then didn't!) It seems that I am to be ever baffled by my computer.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: