Why re-emerge gnupg-1.2.2-r1???
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
t011
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2003 4:30 pm    Post subject: Why re-emerge gnupg-1.2.2-r1??? Reply with quote

I was reading the advisory for updating GnuPG from version 1.2.2 to 1.2.2-r1 and it just seemed silly to have to re-emerge, and therefore spend the time to recompile gnupg, when the only problem was that a file was set with the wrong permissions after compilation and during the actual installation. A diff of the ebuilds shows the problem:
Code:
[root /usr/portage/app-crypt/gnupg]# diff gnupg-1.2.2.ebuild gnupg-1.2.2-r1.ebuild
3c3
< # $Header: /home/cvsroot/gentoo-x86/app-crypt/gnupg/gnupg-1.2.2.ebuild,v 1.4 2003/07/18 19:29:16 tester Exp $
---
> # $Header: /home/cvsroot/gentoo-x86/app-crypt/gnupg/gnupg-1.2.2-r1.ebuild,v 1.2 2003/07/18 22:01:13 taviso Exp $
11c11
< KEYWORDS="x86 ppc sparc alpha arm hppa amd64"
---
> KEYWORDS="x86 ppc sparc alpha arm hppa"
14c14
< DEPEND="dev-lang/perl
---
> DEPEND="dev-lang/perl
48c48
<       chmod +s "${D}/usr/bin/gpg"
---
>       chmod u+s,g-s "${D}/usr/bin/gpg"

If you look at the incorrect file permissions for gpg, they are:
Code:
[root /usr/bin]# ls -l gpg
-rwsr-sr-x    1 root     root         658K May 16 10:11 gpg*

Then just execute the correct chmod command:
Code:
[root /usr/bin]# chmod u+s,g-s gpg

and you get:
Code:
[root /usr/bin]# ls -l gpg
-rwsr-xr-x    1 root     root         658K May 16 10:11 gpg*

So, now the security problem is fixed. But now I'm left with the problem of updating portage to know that the gnupg package should be considered as version 1.2.2-r1 rather than 1.2.2. So I need to do a little poking around to figure out how to fix that. But my question is, is the only reason why you're told to re-emerge the newer ebuild simply to make it easy for people to increment the registered ebuild version? I mean it couldn't have been easier to fix the actual security problem in the 1.2.2 ebuild. Why have everyone waste the time of recompiling a program that has no need to be recompiled? Thanks.
npalmer76
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2003 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could just inject the 1.2.2-r1 version and then it will think you have it until such time as you upgrade again, and then it should delete both old versions.

-Nick
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: