can't get nvidia geforce 5200 to work with 875 intel board
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xsihayax
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2003 2:23 pm    Post subject: can't get nvidia geforce 5200 to work with 875 intel board Reply with quote

I'm having lots of problems getting anything past xfree to work properly on my new system. Before I go on, here is the relevant hardware I'm using (its pretty recent):

Intel 2.8 GHz Pentium 4 with 800 FSB
Intel 875PBZ Board with Integrated Ethernet
Nvidia Geforce FX 5200 (128MB) at AGP 8x
PS/2 Keyboard
Microsoft USB Intellimouse

First, running xf86cfg does not work. It produces a screen that is much too small to be used. (Roughly 1/5 of a 19" screen is used for windows with all the rest being black.) The mouse does not work at all. After editing XF86Config by hand to use settings for the Intellimouse, I was able to get the mouse to work properly. I only changed a small amount of the graphics settings -- adding in only a list of resolutions for the monitor. These resolutions did not help, though. At 1600x1200, everything was much too small for me. When a lower setting like 1028x768 was used, the images became larger, but the whole screen did also so that I had to scroll the screen over to see it. (It was distributed over about 2 monitor lengths in both directions.)

After seeing this, I tried installing the nvidia driver to see if this would work better. When I install the driver, it would always return

to cat /proc/driver/nvidia/agp/status. The graphics card is always listed within lspci, but did not seem to be using AGP at all. Having later read that the 2.4 kernels did not have support for AGP 8x, I tried installing the more recent 2.6.0test1 kernel as I had been told that it would have support for AGP 8x. After installing this kernel and reinstalling the nvidia drivers with the patch for 2.6, cat /proc/driver/nvidia/agp/status continued to be disabled and I was still getting no reference to the card running on AGP. Using xf86cfg under these settings produced the same results as with the 2.4.22 gs-sources kernel I had been using before. My attempts to tweak the configuration file this time resulted in startx completely crashing and not finding any screens.

I'm really new to getting xfree to work with nvidia cards and the newness of my hardware makes it really hard to get good references to what settings will get me a functioning system. Right now, I'll be content without 3d acceleration -- I just want to be able to properly use graphics so that I can watch movies and have pictures come up in more than 256 colors.

Sorry if this replicates lots of parts from other threads, but I wasn't able to extract from the forum enough information to get things working.

I really appreciated any and all help. Thanks for getting through this long post!

-Jen
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: