X on Ti Powerbook 800 with ATI M7
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jb3rry
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2002 2:14 pm    Post subject: X on Ti Powerbook 800 with ATI M7 Reply with quote

First let me say I emerged Xeasyconf an ran it and it seemed to recognize everything but when I go to save the XF86Config file it doesnt parse it correctly and add and eroneous line in the file. If I remove the line(line 79 on mine) X srarts up. But this brings me to my question....the Hsync rate seems to be off....I am trying to run @ 1280x854 24bit would settle for 16bit....Half the screen scrolls like and old tv set...any suggestions or ideas? Thanks
Gerk
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2002 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey j3rry

the wierd line is a known problem (that unfortunately I don't have enough time to fix right now as it requires a substantial rewrite)...

For the modes, the best way is as follows:

make sure you boot with the atyfb (video=atyfb). Use fbset to select and set your deisred mode you wish to use, then run Xeasyconf (or just fbcheck to spit out the mode). using video=ofonly sometimes returns incorrect mode lines...

Also you may be able to use xvidtune to adjust the display from current settings, then use the "Show" button to display the proper modes to the term you launched svidtune from.

Hope this helps
jb3rry
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2002 8:29 pm    Post subject: Got it Working Reply with quote

I edited the config file manually(removed the strange line)....No big deal...and set the option to useFB on in the config file.....X seems to be runing great now....Thanks again...
arshmuck
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2002 9:36 pm    Post subject: no more problems Reply with quote

All of the problems i have had running gentoo on my ti800 are now fixed. The ati driver works with acceleration and 32 bit color with the newest benh kernels. I used the XF86Config file at http://penguinppc.org/~daenzer/XF86Config-4.1280x854 as a reference. The most recent kernel also allows you to run at 800Mhz instead of 667. After starting up you can change the speed with 'echo "cpu_low_speed=0" >/proc/pmu/options'.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: