Does "doc" use flag includes man pages?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Poloch
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 8:32 am    Post subject: Does "doc" use flag includes man pages? Reply with quote

Hello,

I have some question about the doc use flag. The description says "[- c ] doc - Adds extra documentation (API, Javadoc, etc)". That's OK. But does it include man pages (and eventually also info pages)?
I ask this because for most of my packages, I don't need any API or full complicated documentation. And I will never look the generated html pages with API of some library or some program, etc. Moreover this can be sometimes pretty heavy pages and I have not so much disk space, without forgetting it may need to install additionnal package (doxygen, etc.).

But at the opposite, for most, if all the programs I use, I still need the man pages, at least the user's man page. When I don't remember a syntax, or if I run a program I don't often run, then I will open its man page.

Therefore my question: are user's man pages always installed, even without the doc use flag, so that I will install specific docs for programmers, or more complete docs, only when necessary (on a per case basis)?
PaulBredbury
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The standard with Gentoo is to install supplied docs, with the "doc" USE flag for exceptions which are any of:
    Bulky
    Time-consuming to build
    Require additional packages

man and info pages are installed as standard.

This "standard" is open to interpretation with some packages (or with some devs), however.

If the disk space taken by documentation is a concern, then Gentoo probably isn't the most appropriate distro to use - try Arch.
Poloch
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

thanks, this was exactly the answer I was hoping. As for changing my distribution, thanks but gentoo is still good for me.
Hu

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulBredbury wrote:

If the disk space taken by documentation is a concern, then Gentoo probably isn't the most appropriate distro to use - try Arch.

According to man make.conf, the nodoc, noinfo, and noman FEATUREs can be used to avoid installing various types of documentation. This could be useful when building an embedded system, where the compile host has the space for documentation (and source files, temporary build files, etc.), but the installation target does not.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: