Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Pidgin merges fine, but where's the bin?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OolongTea
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 2:23 pm    Post subject: Pidgin merges fine, but where's the bin? Reply with quote

Pidgin merges just fine, but there's no binary for me to run it.

Quote:
# emerge -av pidgin

These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild R ] net-im/pidgin-2.1.1 USE="dbus ncurses nls perl spell -bonjour -debug -doc -eds -gadu -gnutls -groupwise -gstreamer -gtk -meanwhile -networkmanager -prediction -qq -sasl -silc -tcl -tk -zephyr" 0 kB

Total: 1 package (1 reinstall), Size of downloads: 0 kB

Would you like to merge these packages? [Yes/No]

As you can see, it's a reinstall, but there's no binary anywhere. I've re-merged a handful of times now, all compiling from source. Pidgin was working fine until I did a deep world update. This is when the problem began. I closed Pidgin and when I re-opened it, the binary wasn't available.
di1bert
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try running
Code:

equery files pidgin

That'll give you a list of files installed. Put in a little grep magic and narrow it
down to entries that contain "bin" with
Code:

equery files pidgin | grep bin

HTH

-m
mark_alec
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without the gtk USE flag set, it will only build finch (the command line client). Set gtk in USE, re-emerge and you should have `pidgin`.
OolongTea
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, the GTK flag fixed it.
Punchcutter
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 9:27 pm    Post subject: Pidgin merges fine, but where's the bin? [SOLVED] Reply with quote

That seems strange... if I emerge "pidgin", it's because I want pidgin, not finch. And if GTK is required for the GUI client, then regardless of my USE flags it should just merge GTK. Seems like a bad policy decision to me. I just got done doing a "find /" to try to find the binary, before coming over here...

Dave
termite
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finch and Pidgin are just front-ends to libpurple. The package is called Pidgin because that's what most people installing it want. Most people who have desktop environments have the gtk flag enabled, as it's not that easy to get many apps running without gtk.
Punchcutter
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have "-gtk" specified in my USE flags (in make.conf) because I generally prefer KDE apps, and I don't want GTK compiled into apps if they'll run with Qt. However my understanding of the way portage works is that if something is required for a package to compile, it'll be included regardless of whether you've minused it out or not. Maybe my understanding is wrong.

Dave
Magicmat
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Punchcutter wrote:
I have "-gtk" specified in my USE flags (in make.conf) because I generally prefer KDE apps, and I don't want GTK compiled into apps if they'll run with Qt. However my understanding of the way portage works is that if something is required for a package to compile, it'll be included regardless of whether you've minused it out or not. Maybe my understanding is wrong.

Dave
I agree 100%. I have the same USE flags as you for the very same reason. If I wanted Finch, I would have emerged Finch. But I wanted Pidgin, the graphical client, so it should emerge that and enable any flags it requires. Why are Finch, Pidgin and libpurple all in the same package, anyway?
Genone
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Magicmat wrote:
Punchcutter wrote:

Dave
I agree 100%. I have the same USE flags as you for the very same reason. If I wanted Finch, I would have emerged Finch. But I wanted Pidgin, the graphical client, so it should emerge that and enable any flags it requires. Why are Finch, Pidgin and libpurple all in the same package, anyway?

Ask upstream.
termite
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are quite a few packages out there with more than one interface to a library. It would be nice to have them separately, yes, but I don't see why it's such a big deal to enable individual packages' use flags in a few cases.
haukew
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, mark_alec, helped me, too :-)
absoluteflatness
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Newbie question, I think, but why couldn't it use the "X" use flag instead of the "gtk" use flag? I think I've seen this before for other packages, and it's still clear that enabling this would enable the GUI, and would fit in the existing paradigm for use flags. So users with -gtk because they'd prefer not to use GTK when there's an option, but who have +X, would still get pidgin built, even though it would require gtk. As someone pointed out, most of these users have gtk installed anyway, since so many programs require it.
termite
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the ideas behind USE flags, as I understand it, is that a given USE flags pulls packages in from some pretty fixed subset of the tree. The X flag indicates that X is needed, the gtk flag indicates that gtk is needed.
absoluteflatness
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I thought of that after I'd posted. I'm sure, still, that I've seen packages that use "X" to denote a graphical interface, and yet still pull in gtk. Anyway, after thinking about it a little more, that paradigm still wouldn't work with pidgin because it also provides a Tcl/Tk interface. My little theory only works for packages who have an optional GUI, but can only use one toolkit if you do want one.

Summary: other people are right.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: