View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 34, 35, 36  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
iamlarryboy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2003 4:06 am    Post subject: You want the other KDE-CVS thread Reply with quote

I am no longer (for now anyway) maintaining the builds. However, Yokem55 is. You can find his thread here.

Last edited by iamlarryboy on Fri May 21, 2004 5:27 am; edited 58 times in total
daen1543
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2003 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be interested to try KDE from CVS, but I'm a little concerned about the possible breakage. How likely, in your experience, is it that something will break so bad as to make KDE unusable?
iamlarryboy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2003 6:30 am    Post subject: Not very Reply with quote

I am running just cvs. However, I understand you can run both kde 3.1 and cvs at the same time. Only once has anything been unusable. The only problem was konqueror; I just used mozilla. Unless you really need stability I wouldn't worry about running cvs.
hook
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2003 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

frankly, no i wouldn't ...i do enjoy my system to be up-to-date but i'm not a update-freak and cvs-ebuilds IMO just aren't worth the (=my) trouble to make them work. i would install cvs ebuilds of any app when/if i REALLY need to use the cvs version ...which doesn't happen very often with me :]

but i'm sure some might take insterest and even profit (not money!) from nightly-cvs ebuilds

(deep inside i'm still a tux's little helper)
iamlarryboy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2003 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hook wrote:
frankly, no i wouldn't ...i do enjoy my system to be up-to-date but i'm not a update-freak and cvs-ebuilds IMO just aren't worth the (=my) trouble to make them work. i would install cvs ebuilds of any app when/if i REALLY need to use the cvs version ...which doesn't happen very often with me :]

but i'm sure some might take insterest and even profit (not money!) from nightly-cvs ebuilds

Obviously, such a cutting edge system is not for everyone. However, I like to fiddle. I often comment to my roomies that I can't stand it when my computer is working perfectly; it doesn't give me something to fiddle with. :-)
iamlarryboy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2003 1:51 am    Post subject: hmm... Reply with quote

There doesn't seem to be that much interest. Oh well.
Unne
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2003 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My only problem is, if KDE breaks, which I'd have to guess is pretty likely with something from CVS, it'll take hours and hours to re-emerge the original non-busted stable version. I can't afford to be KDE-less for that long a time. Unless there's something really new and useful in the CVS version, I don't think it's worth it.

I often comment to my roomies that I can't stand it when my computer is working perfectly; it doesn't give me something to fiddle with. --iamlarryboy

Oh, that's me too. *shame* :)
daen1543
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2003 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unne wrote:
My only problem is, if KDE breaks, which I'd have to guess is pretty likely with something from CVS, it'll take hours and hours to re-emerge the original non-busted stable version.

That's not the case. Here's a quotation from Dan Armak's page:
Quote:
How KDEs live side-by-side in Gentoo

KDE 3.0.x installs into /usr/kde/3 (for backward compatibility; it should have been /usr/kde/3.0). KDE 3.1.x installs into /usr/kde/3.1. kde 3.2.x will install into /usr/kde/3.2, etc.
Live kde cvs ebuilds are a special case: they have a version number of 5 and install into /usr/kde/cvs (again, unwilingness to change existing locations is mostly responsible for this).

So you can have your stable release KDE along with CVS.
shm
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2003 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

daen1543 wrote:
I'd be interested to try KDE from CVS, but I'm a little concerned about the possible breakage. How likely, in your experience, is it that something will break so bad as to make KDE unusable?

I've been using CVS the entire summer, and I've noticed perhaps 3 breakages that entire time. Of course, this might be three too many for many people. :)
idl
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2003 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*cough* ccache *cough* distcc *cough*
ebrostig
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2003 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love to get the builds since I can't use CVS through our firewall. I just wish more projects would use BitKeeper which handles firewalls just fine.

Erik
iamlarryboy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2003 1:23 am    Post subject: I think. Reply with quote

If I decide to make the builds available it will be a day or two. I just hosed my entire system. (note to self NEVER downgrade glibc :-) ) However I should have some packages ready by say Sunday. I will make the packages available on a to be announced website. However, I am just running on a cable modem and I do NOT want to piss off the cable company (although Shaw is really good.) If the I am burning through too much bandwidth I may have to take the site down. It would be nice if I could just upload the packages to an official gentoo site somewhere. If I am getting lots of traffic I may ask. The builds will be "-mcpu=athlon-xp -O2 -pipe" optimized. Those should run on any PC but will still be optimized for mine.
iamlarryboy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2003 12:50 am    Post subject: kay Reply with quote

I finaly got arround to putting a cvs build of kde up. it can be found here.

In the end it was compiled with the following:
gcc 3.2.3-r1
glibc 2.3.2-1
-mcpu=athlon-xp -03 -pipe

The file is a tar of the packages that portage generates. Untar it in some directory. For example "~/kde-cvs". Then "cd /" "tar -xfj ~/kde-cvs/*.tbz2". If things are not working check to make sure you have all the dependancies installed. For your convenience I have included the output of "emerge kde -ep" from my system. It is contained in the file "kde-ep.txt".

I probably will not be updating the builds nightly but perhaps twice weekly. I do not wan't to waste too much bandwith and piss off my ISP. However, any hosting and/or mirrors would help.
ebrostig
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2003 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great job!

I for one will check it out.

I think that twice a week is more than enough, maybe even just once is fine unless there are some really big changes/bugs/security flaws that pops up.

Just to have the ability to install parallell the cvs version when you can't access the source with cvs due to a braindead design of cvs is super!

Again, good job!

Erik
ebrostig
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2003 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just downloaded thet tarball about 100mb :)

The only problem was that it was not possible to unpack the following file:

kde-5.tbz2

Code:

tar tvjf kde-5.tbz2

bzip2: (stdin): trailing garbage after EOF ignored

Nothing is listed nor is anything unpacked when uxing x rather than t.

Also, every other tbz2 archive returns the following message even though they unpack:
Code:

bzip2: (stdin): trailing garbage after EOF ignored

Erik
iamlarryboy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2003 3:33 am    Post subject: Me too Reply with quote

Ya I get that warning on all my gentoo packages. Portage must add some garbage or something. It works at any rate. As for the kde-5 package I will check it out as soon as I have acces to my computer again. the kde-5 ebuild is really small. if you get the kde-cvs ebuilds you should be able to install that one package. you may have to tell it to ignore dependancies.

ps: note to self include a md5.
iamlarryboy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2003 6:53 am    Post subject: K Reply with quote

After a bit of investigation I found that the garbage is completely normal. Apparently portage generates it and it can be completely ignored.

I think I figured out why kde-5.tbz2 isn't working. It is just an empty archive. I re-emerged kde-5 on my system and it didn't install any files. Hence the empty archive. Apparently the kde-5 ebuilds only purpose is to tell portage that kde is installed. In future versions I won't include this file.

Also security freaks can rest at night now that there an md5 to go along with the file. Well other than the fact that you are running untested software. From an untrusted source. With no practical way to verify the software. Or the distributor. Or the progamer(s). but hey who needs security anyway :-)
ebrostig
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2003 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool :)

Thanks for looking into it.

I'll give it another try tonight to see if I can get it up and running.

Thanks again for your great effort!

Erik
iamlarryboy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2003 2:28 am    Post subject: Please do Reply with quote

ebrostig wrote:
Cool :)

Thanks for looking into it.

I'll give it another try tonight to see if I can get it up and running.

Thanks again for your great effort!

Erik

Please let me know if there is anything I can do to make the packages better. Also let us know exactly how you got everything working (if you suceed. Perhaps create a small install guide. If you do I will for sure include it next time.
lucida
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2003 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been running KDE cvs for about 5 months and it's great. I update my kde every 2 days and have deleted the old 3.1. :)

With the help of ccache, an "emerge kdelibs kdebase" only takes less than 3 hours on my athlon 1.2G.
iamlarryboy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2003 3:41 am    Post subject: Sorry. Reply with quote

Sorry. If you havn't been able to reach the site. A really bad forest fire in B.C (Canada) killed internet access for a few days. I am also working on some new builds. I am building gentoo in a directory specifically for compiling the packages. I am costomizing the use flags and compile options specifically for the build. Also with the next builds I will probably also make a tarball of the source that the binaries were built with. I am also looking at binary diffs and source diffs. I may also buy some actual server space. these guys look cool. The only question is if I can justify the $15/month (USD) cost. Especially as I am Canadian. At any rate keep your eyes out for new packages. Although it may be a few days.
iamlarryboy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2003 6:43 am    Post subject: NEW BUILDS!!!! Reply with quote

Hey everyone!!! NEW builds are available. Check them out here. I apreciate any feedback. so let me know how the install went.
XVegitto
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2003 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey iamlarryboy :D

The Readme on the site not linked corectly...just need to fix a typo!

But Great Builds!
iamlarryboy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2003 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

XVegitto wrote:
Hey iamlarryboy :D

The Readme on the site not linked corectly...just need to fix a typo!

But Great Builds!

Fixed. Thanks.
iamlarryboy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2003 3:34 am    Post subject: Re: KDE-CVS (bi-Weekly) builds (New Builds!!!!) Reply with quote

New builds available. Grab them here.
--

Yo!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 34, 35, 36  Next
Page 1 of 36

Jump to: