Gentoo is running but with problems ...
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
atze
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2002 8:21 am    Post subject: Gentoo is running but with problems ... Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

I made my Gentoo run from stage 1 and it seems to work propably but it keeps throwing errors during boot time! Something with the filesystem! Has anyone an idea where I can get the boot-logs from?

Next problem is that I tryied to make my sound running and emerged ALSA (with all dependencies) than I wrote the modules to load at startup into "/etc/modules.autoload". But after the first boot, they were gone ... no surprise becouse the system overwrites this file ( this is what I read in the manual ) but now I don't want them anymore to be loaded! How/Where can I tell him not to do so and what is the right configuration for my sound-on-board? I guess it's AC97 ...

Now my last problem. When the system is going down it can't free my SWAP!!! Any ideas? Fstab is correct ... I think.
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2002 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: Gentoo is running but with problems ... Reply with quote

atze wrote:
Has anyone an idea where I can get the boot-logs from?

Code:
# dmesg | less

Quote:
Now my last problem. When the system is going down it can't free my SWAP!!! Any ideas? Fstab is correct ... I think.

Does it activate the swap OK at boot time? What is the exact error message? Which partition is your swap and what does the fstab say about it?
atze
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2002 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fstab about swap:
/dev/SWAP none swap sw 0 0

Do I really need the "SWAP"? May I just write "/dev/hdxx"?

I don't know if it is activated at the startup - it's going a bit fast! That's why I want the log :)

Mybe the filesystem error is becouse of the swap ... :?: I'll check it with dmesg.

thanks for now
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2002 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

atze wrote:
Do I really need the "SWAP"? May I just write "/dev/hdxx"?

The SWAP is just a placeholder - you need to replace it with the true /dev/hdxx that is correct for your system.

Quote:
I don't know if it is activated at the startup

I don't think so...not with SWAP in the fstab. You can always check by looking at /proc/meminfo, which will tell you (among other things) how much swap you have.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2002 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Umpf, how stupid!!!

I thought the "SWAP" would be something like a pointer to the correct pertition ... damn. I'll try that, thanks.
atze
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2002 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the post above is mine .. forgot to login ;)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2002 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I now checked the fstab :oops: and corrected my faults! Now the system boots up clean very fast ;)

Now one more problem is still there: Sound!

I tried it with alsa but it seems that I'm too stupid for that ... ;)

I emerged the packages for alsa and ... and ... well, what than??? I need a Kernel with sound support but without sound-modules, correct? Next I just tried to load - with modprobe - the module but he says that the can't find it ... I have sound onboard and my users-manual says it's an AC97 compatible chip so I tried the snd_ac97_clock module, correct?

IT DOES NOT WORK! PLEASE HELP ME TO HELP MYSELF!
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2002 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
Now one more problem is still there: Sound!

I tried it with alsa but it seems that I'm too stupid for that ... ;)
Sound is tricky for many people. Don't feel too bad about it.

Quote:
I emerged the packages for alsa and ... and ... well, what than??? I need a Kernel with sound support but without sound-modules, correct?
With alsa, I beleive you want NO sound support in the kernel.

I'll stop there as I still don't completely understand how I got my sound working.
Carsjo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2002 6:40 pm    Post subject: This helped me alot Reply with quote

Gentoo Desktop config #Sound
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2002 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: This helped me alot Reply with quote

Carsjo wrote:
Gentoo Desktop config #Sound
Frequently that doc is insufficient. Didn't do much for me.

Worth a look though.
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2002 7:46 pm    Post subject: Forum search? Reply with quote

I seem to recall a couple of threads about AC97 and ALSA recently: perhaps a forum search on those two keywords would give you some ideas to try?
atze
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2002 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm getting mad! Sorry for the trouble you have with me ... it seems to be easier just to make the system run than doing the configuration ... ;)

Now, I've compiled I think my 7th kernel in the last two days, once with htese options another time with some other settings ... but I don't want to use WINDOZE any more!!!

My Problem this time - the sound have to wait - is that my nvidia driver does not work any more. First time I've compiled the nvidia kernel and configured X and made the Server run everything went propably. But now after compiling the kernels - I also emerged the Nvidia kernel again - it does not work any more ... even worth I made some configuration to the last kernel and I can't boot any more ... anyway, running "update-modules" the system told that there are missing "dependencies" in "/lib/modules/2.4.19~/video/NVdriver" (or something like that) ... what can I do??? Is there a possibility to unmerge packages? To delete some?

I want my system clean again ... :(
Carsjo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2002 9:12 pm    Post subject: NVdriver Reply with quote

Well ...

I had some problems with the NVdriver as well.
First of all the problem that if You compile kernel and modules - NVdriver is gone (and so is ALSA)
But this worked for me:

emerge media-video/nvidia-kernel media-video/nvidia-glx

- then make sure You have NVdriver in Your /etc/modules.autoload
and Load "glx" in XF86Config

But if it worked before even after a reboot, then You'r Config files should be OK - i guess ?
BonezTheGoon
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

Location: Albuquerque, NM -- birthplace of Microsoft and Gentoo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2002 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes you can unmerge very easily.

Code:
emerge unmerge gnome

is one way to remove the gnome ebuild (keep in mind this does not remove dependencies that may have been installed)

Code:
emerge gnome
emerge unmerge gnome

if you do that you will have a LOT of stuff left. But you should check out the portage manual. Check this out ---> Portage User Guide and also Portage Manual

I hope that helps!

Also you were correct to re-emerge your nvidia drivers. Every time you recompile your kernel your other modules/drivers will be wiped-out. You will need to re-emerge your nvidia drivers and your ALSA drivers again after you recompile the kernel (or keep a copy of them safe somewhere else on the system and remember to copy them back to where they belong, as some people in other threads have indicated they are doing successfully.)

There are TONS of threads on how to get sound working with ALSA, I'd recommend doing a search for them. For starters though try identifying correctly your ALSA module by referring to the ALSA Sound Card Matrix

Remember to post your results with a short solution so that others can benefit from the work you are doing!!!

Regards,
BonezTheGoon

pjp wrote:
The greater evil is voting for the "lesser evil."
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: