View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
second_exodous
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2003 5:50 am    Post subject: burning DVD's Reply with quote

Anyone know how to make a video DVD on linux? I have a sony DRX-500UL and it works great under Linux! Well, for what I've tried on it it works. Burned a few CD's and blanked a few RW's, I'm sure it will burn data DVD's, but how does one burn a video DVD that plays in stand-alone DVD players? Is it possible under Linux?

I looked at this a few months ago when I was looking for a compatable DVD burner and some people said it was close but not yet possible.

Thanx,
Stan
jerome187
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2003 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you need to have the dvd video-audio in VOB form with IFO's and BUP's. I cant explain it really well but www.dvdrhelp.com can. after you do that you can probly just put all the files into a VIDEO_TS folder and burn it in standard data mode, that works under windoze with record now. I'm sorry i cant be of more help, but once again www.dvdrhelp.com can!

Can you PLEASE tell me how you burned dvds!! I have a SonyDRU500A and i need to burn lots of stuff too! :D :D :D
second_exodous
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2003 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, thanx, I'm not quite ready to burn video, just getting ready to, I'll try it out.

Thanx,
Stan
Kabuto
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2003 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also take a look at dvdauthor @ dvdauthor.sf.net. It will take a .mpg and convert it to a DVD standard and build the DVD directories. I use mplex -f 8 from mjpegtools to do the multiplexing and then dvdauthor to create the .VOB and DVD structure. Newer version of dvdauthor can do menus now too.
jerome187
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2003 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what program can i use to burn data dvds and make 1 to 1 copys of data dvds?
Kabuto
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2003 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends. For DVD-R/RW use cdrecord. For DVD+R/RW use the tools for linux. Search google for "linux DVD+RW" and you will find them. The best way for 1:1 copies is probably to ISO. cat /dev/dvd filname.iso, if I remember correctly or mkisofs will work.
jerome187
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2003 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have a -/+ burner, but i use - almost exclusivly. is there a emerge of cdrecord i can do? i tryed emerge cdrecord but portage says it dosent exist.
iwasbiggs
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2003 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Data backup.
1) rip image:
Code:

$su
#emerge /usr/portage/app-cdr/cdrtools-dvdr/cdrtools-dvdr-2.01_alpha05.ebuild
#readcd dev=0,1,0 -f=track.img]

or
1) Your own data files - I would just use xcdroast to create an image (or $mkisofs [direcotry]), then you can burn it using the options below, or even xcdroast's own interface if you have installed the dvd-r compaitible cdrecord and have key/access privileges.

From here you will have to set up your cdrecord to use a key (unless this is now gone with the latest version) if you want to burn images larger than 1 GB.

For dvd+rw - download the tools as previously said.
2) Format (necessary for +rw only)
Code:

$su
#dvd+rw-format -f /dev/cdroms/cdrom0

3) Burn (for +r(w))
Code:

$su
#growisofs -Z /dev/cdroms/cdrom0=track.img

For dvd-r (rw)
Code:

$su
#cdrecord dev=0,1,0 -v track.img

In my cases, cdrom0 is actually my dvd writer drive and dev=0,1,0 also points to the same writer. Change for your own individual settings (cdrecord -scanbus). I also use a Sony DRU500A.

Last edited by iwasbiggs on Mon Aug 11, 2003 3:27 am; edited 1 time in total
jerome187
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2003 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks!

is there a way i can just do a 1 to 1 copy? like copy directly from the dvd-rom to the dvd burner? that would be much faster than having to make the image and all that stuff
iwasbiggs
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2003 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jerome187 wrote:
thanks!

is there a way i can just do a 1 to 1 copy? like copy directly from the dvd-rom to the dvd burner? that would be much faster than having to make the image and all that stuff

It is possible on certain setups, but I do not recomment wasting that many dvd's to find out. If my computer (1800xp, gig ram, under no load) is moderatley active, burning a dvd from harddrive does yeild a few errors (though they have not had any notable effects).

For it to work, you would need the drives to be connected in a certain order (if master and slave), or across the pci bus, and of similar speeds (maybe you can limit this in cdrecord). Furthermore, if the source dvd was dual layered, you can forget the whole easy copy/rip process I posted above. I'd also recommend the biggest buffers on both source and dest possible.

When gigabytes of HD space can be had for dollars, I really don't see the rush in waiting an extra 20 minutes to get the image to the harddrive first.

And this, BTW, is an issue on all machines using PCI buses. You could probably buy an internal PCI card for maybe 50 bucks (? nowadays) and try connecting one of the drives to that. I don't think that would have a problem at all.

If you were to try it though, I think a simple:
Code:

#dd if=/dev/hdx1 of=/dev/hdx2
or
#readcd dev=0,writer,0 -w f=/dev/hd[reader]

should work. You might want to man dd to maybe configure the amount copied before written to increase your buffer usage (bs or count) or something.
jerome187
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2003 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iwasbiggs wrote:

It is possible on certain setups, but I do not recomment wasting that many dvd's to find out. If my computer (1800xp, gig ram, under no load) is moderatley active, burning a dvd from harddrive does yeild a few errors (though they have not had any notable effects).

I've done it on windoze many times with no problems.

iwasbiggs wrote:

When gigabytes of HD space can be had for dollars, I really don't see the rush in waiting an extra 20 minutes to get the image to the harddrive first.

when you make 5 -10 copys a day 20 minutes make alot of difference.

iwasbiggs wrote:

And this, BTW, is an issue on all machines using PCI buses. You could probably buy an internal PCI card for maybe 50 bucks (? nowadays) and try connecting one of the drives to that. I don't think that would have a problem at all.

each dvd drive is on its own ide cable (sorta, the burner is master of its own cable and the reader is master of a cable shared by the hard drive)

i'll give it a try and see what happens![/quote]
jerome187
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2003 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
bash-2.05b# dd if=/dev/hdc of=/dev/hda
dd: opening `/dev/hda': Read-only file system
bash-2.05b#

???

Duh its read only! its a DVD....

i tryed the other one but it says something about no scsi drive etc blah blah.
iwasbiggs
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2003 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was hopin that random access stuff with dvd+ might be all that would be needed to access via the above commands as long as you had the udf filesystem support (I think that's the only one). Guess I was wrong.

If you find the answer, don't forget to post back here!
zojas
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2003 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fired up growisofs as directed above on my dvd+rw drive and it worked except, it skipped a 2.6 gb file, saying it was too large.

google tells me mkisofs can be built with a flag to handle files larger than 2 gb. anyone know an easy way to do this? there is no USE flag for it.

I'm about to 'unpack' it, figure out the flag, and hack the ebuild
zojas
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2003 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that didn't work out too well. cdrtools doesn't use automake directly.

has anyone burned a data dvd which contains files larger than 2gb? My weekly backup tarball is 3 gb
iwasbiggs
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2003 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zojas wrote:

has anyone burned a data dvd which contains files larger than 2gb? My weekly backup tarball is 3 gb

Strange. I never tried such large single files within the iso itself. Tho, I'm not about to try :). You can prolly easily modify your backup script to make use of dd to split into multiple files. Though, this isn't what you want if you're trying to read the files back off the disk... hmmm.
zojas
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2003 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to save the raw dv files from my camera onto data dvds to clear up hard drive space. one clip is 2.4gb.

even the mkisofs from dvdrtools has the 2gb limit.
paulisdead
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2003 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zojas wrote:

I've burned a 2.5GB data DVD with growisofs. Unfortunately I may need to RMA my NEC Dvd+R, due to some hardlockups while burning a DVD with the nf7-s rev 2 v16 bios. Right now I can't even read a DVD with it.
zojas
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2003 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

did you have any one single file that was larger than 2gb though? or was it a bunch of files whose size added up to 2.5gb?
paulisdead
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2003 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like I won't be RMA'ing that DVD+R. Seems to be a borked dd (fixed in util-linux update) and the 2.6 kernel. I keep getting a hard lockup when I try to burn an ISO I made of a DVD using dd, though. With the read errors I had been getting from dd, I started to think the drive might be dying. I think maybe fam or something accessing the hard drive might be the problem, so when I get a chance I'll try it without FAM running.

The data DVDs I've burned were a bunch of files that added up to over 2.5GBs, though growisofs does have to make it into an ISO that would be a single file about the same size.
zojas
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2003 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok. the problem I have is I'm trying to create an iso which contains inside it a 2.4gb file. mkisofs skips the big file, saying it's too big. :(
iwasbiggs
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2003 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may be stuck then. If iso format doesn't support it, then that's all there is to it.
Kabuto
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2003 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What he said. ISO9660 doesn't support greater than 2GB, that is why DVDR VOBs are spilt a 1GB. You could try to use UDF if it works with DVD+-R. I tried once with my DVD+RW but couldn't get it to write the fs and didn't spend much time trying to figure it out.
jean-michel
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2003 8:49 pm    Post subject: I routinely burn DVDs with >2GB Files Reply with quote

I routinely burn data DVDs with files larger than 2 GB in size. As these files are for playback using a computer anyway (they are usually large, high quality xvid AVI files) I do not require video-dvd compatability, and as I run Linux, I do not require Windows ISO compatability.

My solution? To create an image with an ext2 filesystem on it, and burn that to the DVD. Ext2 handles 3 GB and 4 GB files just fine.

1. Create an empty file of 4.3 GB (=Marketdroid 4.7 GB) size.
Code:

dd if=/dev/zero of="empty_file" bs=1024k count=4489

2. Create an extended-2 filesystem on this file
Code:

mke2fs  empty_file
       empty_file is not a block special device.
       Proceed anyway? (y,n) y

3. Mount this empty file through the loopback-devices
Code:

mount -t ext2 -o loop=/dev/loop1 empty_file /mnt

4. Copy files to /mnt and umount it afterwards.

5. Use dvdrecord (or whatever dvd recording software you prefer) on empty_file (which is no longer empty) as if it were an iso9660-image.

I put together a reference page for myself a while back. The state of the art on video capture has changed a great deal, but I still find the info useful from time to time:

https://expressivefreedom.org/Projects/PVR/Firewire-Methodology.html
Luud
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2003 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If burning of files larger than 2Gb doesn't work, due to the underlying iso file system, an option would be to split the files using 'split' (should check if split can handle files of that size, but I don't expect problems).

To get the old file back, simply use 'cat' to concatenate all the split parts.

This is quite an old method of getting a large file transported using multiple smaller disks :wink:

I would rather stick with the iso file system as ext2 can't (easily) be read with windows. There is software for that though.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: