gentoo on WD My Book World Edition II
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bushvin
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 2:45 pm    Post subject: gentoo on WD My Book World Edition II Reply with quote

Hi,

just bought a WD My Book World Edition II and apparently it runs some linux distro (dunno which yet).
the device is running on an arm9 processor with 32MB SDRAM (found that here )
the OS resides on a partition on the disk, which means I could basically install anything over it...

Could I install Gentoo-arm on it?
What's the difference between arm and armv4l anyway?
and "experimental/arm/stages/arm" would be the location to get gentoo-arm of one of the mirrors, right?

thanks,
Will.
widan
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:09 pm    Post subject: Re: gentoo on WD My Book World Edition II Reply with quote

bushvin wrote:
it runs some linux distro (dunno which yet)

Maybe some custom derivative of a Montavista distro. Montavista makes Linux distros for a variety of embedded CPUs and boards. Or it can be something entirely custom.
bushvin wrote:
Could I install Gentoo-arm on it?

Probably, though you may have to keep the original kernel, as it's very unlikely the mainline kernel will have support for your system. Be aware that it will likely be a slow machine (and having only 32 MB of RAM will not help).
bushvin wrote:
What's the difference between arm and armv4l anyway?

ARMv4 is some specific revision of the ARM instruction set (StrongARM is ARMv4, Xscale is ARMv5TE). The SoC your board uses apparently contains an ARM926 core, which is ARMv5TE (probably little-endian).
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: