Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Don't laugh: SparcStation VOYAGER - gentoo install possible?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OldMan
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2003 8:00 am    Post subject: Don't laugh: SparcStation VOYAGER - gentoo install possible? Reply with quote

Hell out there,

I happen to have one of the "SUN would deny knowledge of them" nice VOYAGER stations sitting on my desk, the SysAdmin wo donated this to me managed to leave SOLARIS in an unbootable state (BOFH joke: "maybe you can install LINUX") and so I would like to try my luck with a stripped down gentoo install (suicide on a 32MB/200Meg system, I know). At least it would make a cool looking router/print/mail server - or maybe a large scrolling display for remote controlling my small EPIA M10k gentoo powered jukebox ;)

Any chance to do it? Or should I better throw this toy out of the window or try to sell it on eBay? Expanding the memory (where to look for)?

Thanks,

OM
squash
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2003 11:56 am    Post subject: Voyager Reply with quote

Hi,

It looks like linux can work on this box, with a few notes...

The biggest drive they admit to shipping with this box is 800something megs. If you've got 32 megs of ram, you'll need almost that much swap to compile the bigger apps.
The stanrard processor is a 60mhz unit. it is possible to upgrade to a 110 or even a 170 mhz chip if you can pick one up on Ebay.
Built-in ethernet port is 10 megabit. Depending on your network, it may not be an issue.
Video supports 8 bit color. Depending on your application, again maybe not an issue.
The only expansion is PCMCIA, I wonder how many of the x86 pcmcia drivers carry over to sparc?

All in all it could make a neat little specific-purpose box, but it won't be easy. What would make it easier would be to develop the system on another sparc box, and make an image to put on the disc.

If I had one, I would try it out as an x-terminal, displaying kde from a remote system... Or maybe a terminal that just runs Gaim.

Squash
Ferris
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2003 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about Voyagers, so take this for what it's worth.

I was able to install GenToo on a Sparcbook, which is also a 32MB system.
I used a 4GB external disk for the installation, though. (And, it's like
a 110MHz Sparc5. With a slower CPU, you'ld get there, bit it'll take a
while. I think it took the 3GX about 48 hours to build X.)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: