Strange "DEBUG" error on attempting to submit a re
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Forums Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Syntaxis
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2002 10:54 pm    Post subject: Strange "DEBUG" error on attempting to submit a re Reply with quote

On clicking "Submit", I received the following error:

----- [snip]
Could not connect to smtp host : 111 : Connection refused

DEBUG MODE

Line : 128
File : /home/www/forums.gentoo.org/includes/smtp.php
----- [snip]

When I tried to post to another thread [https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?p=41196#41196].
Sorry, moderators - multiple postings as a result, and I can't seem to find the "delete" button under "edit".

EDIT: Heh... :oops: missed the new X button next to "edit". But FWIW, the tooltip popup for "edit" should no longer say "Edit/Delete this message".
EDIT: Ah, Ok, BUG: the X button doesn't appear on the other thread, so there's no way to delete.
klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2002 11:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Strange "DEBUG" error on attempting to submit Reply with quote

Syntaxis wrote:
On clicking "Submit", I received the following error:

Yes, we were having MTA issues. Sorry 'bout that.

Syntaxis wrote:
But FWIW, the tooltip popup for "edit" should no longer say "Edit/Delete this message".

Yes it should, because you can delete a message by clicking on that button. (one of the checkbox options on the resulting screen is "delete this post")

Syntaxis wrote:
EDIT: Ah, Ok, BUG: the X button doesn't appear on the other thread, so there's no way to delete.

Weird -- I deleted the excess posts for you.

--kurt
Syntaxis
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2002 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for deleting the duplicate posts. :-)

However, I must quibble on the matter of the "edit" button...
I don't currently have anywhere to upload the screenshot, but I can pretty confidently say that there is no "delete this post" checkbox or anything like it on my screen. I've just pressed "edit" for my last post in this thread, and try as I might, I just can't find any option to delete.

Plus, that "X" button that showed up next to "edit" before, with a tooltip saying "Delete"... that's gone.

As you say... weird :-D

EDIT: Okay :-) As of this post, both the "X" button and the "Delete this post" option under "edit" have reappeared... but they're still not showing up on the earlier posts.
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2002 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't be surprised if you could only delete the last post in a thread - allowing one to delete arbitrary posts in the middle of a thread would make the numbering and threading code more complex, because you would have to deal with holes.
klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2002 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rac wrote:
I wouldn't be surprised if you could only delete the last post in a thread - allowing one to delete arbitrary posts in the middle of a thread would make the numbering and threading code more complex, because you would have to deal with holes.

Actually, this is something that phpBB handles exceptionally well. I haven't seen an instance yet where a post either couldn't be deleted or screwed something else up as a result of being deleted.

--kurt
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2002 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

klieber wrote:
rac wrote:

Actually, this is something that phpBB handles exceptionally well. I haven't seen an instance yet where a post either couldn't be deleted or screwed something else up as a result of being deleted.

Well, I've seen the situation the original poster described. If I have several posts in a thread, I can edit all of them, but the X box that I assume means "delete this post" only appears on the last post of the thread (and, obviously, if said post is mine).
klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2002 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rac wrote:
If I have several posts in a thread, I can edit all of them, but the X box that I assume means "delete this post" only appears on the last post of the thread (and, obviously, if said post is mine).

Odd -- I wonder if you try deleting the one post that you can access, if the next post then becomes deletable after that?

Anyone with a "normal" user account mind giving that a shot in /dev/null?

--kurt
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2002 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

klieber wrote:
Odd -- I wonder if you try deleting the one post that you can access, if the next post then becomes deletable after that?

Yes, it does. I made a thread in /dev/null, added three posts to it, and as I deleted each from the bottom, one more became deletable each time, until I was finally able to delete the initial message in the thread.
klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2002 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to know -- thanks.

--kurt
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Forums Feedback All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: