Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
where can i get the iso
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Duplicate Threads
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hamu

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2002 5:54 pm    Post subject: where can i get the iso Reply with quote

im looking for the iso of gentoo
delta407
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2002 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a guess, but probably from the link to the download site as listed in the install guide.
Anon

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2002 5:28 pm    Post subject: forget about the isos Reply with quote

You don't need the iso. The installer is a complete mess. It crashes your system, it panics and if you have a scsi controller, it will not boot at all.

The only way for me to install gentoo is to use the debian install cd (these people know how to write a cd installer), partition the drives and untar gentoo from another source (second hd or something else).
klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2002 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: forget about the isos Reply with quote

Anon wrote:
You don't need the iso. The installer is a complete mess. It crashes your system, it panics and if you have a scsi controller, it will not boot at all.

The only way for me to install gentoo is to use the debian install cd (these people know how to write a cd installer), partition the drives and untar gentoo from another source (second hd or something else).

And while that may certainly be that person's opinion, I'm sure many others on this board, myself included, will strongly disagree with his/her statement.

The Gentoo installer works fine, for the most part, especially if you follow the aforementioned Install Guide to the letter

--kurt
delta407
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2002 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: forget about the isos Reply with quote

Anon wrote:
The installer is a complete mess.

I've found it to be quite logical, efficient, and stable.

Anon wrote:
It crashes your system

Hmm... I've used it to restore my system a couple times. It has never crashed on me.

Anon wrote:
it panics

Again, never once did I get a kernel panic. If you're having problems, why not report them to the developers? That's how they get fixed.

Anon wrote:
and if you have a scsi controller, it will not boot at all.

I've booted it up with three different SCSI controllers without issues.

Anon wrote:

Perhaps instead of attacking the developers you could offer constructive information (such as the hardware you have that creates problems).
roXet
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2002 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't exctally call what gentoo has an "installer". You just boot off the cd and compile the base system, or copy it off the cd. If copying something crashes your computer, I think you might have some serious hardware issues.

Speaking of Debian, I was less than impressed with their installation. I never got X working with my GeForce 2, while I had it working in almost 5 minutes with Gentoo.

Please take your trolls elsewhere.

Now, so I don't get in trouble for feeding a troll, I have some help for the original poster.

Gentoo is not technically "installed", more of "built". You can go to the download page and grab one of the two iso's there. The first one only has the boot stuff and you have to download the base system to compile it. The second iso has a precompiled base system that you can simple untar into the correct place. Be sure to read the install guide and follow the hell out of it. Also, there is a thread here that talks about a boot cd that a gentoo user has put together, you might want to try that out.
Anon

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2002 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: forget about the isos Reply with quote

Quote:
Hmm... I've used it to restore my system a couple times. It has never crashed on me.

Systems under my control don't need to be restored that often ;-)))
SCNR

Quote:

Again, never once did I get a kernel panic. If you're having problems, why not report them to the developers? That's how they get fixed.

Kernel panic: Out of memory and no killable processes...

No, there are not 64MB of RAM but 32MB. Thats sufficient for FreeBSD, which also builds up from source. Why not for Gentoo? Especially if it will just do an untar. Seems like bloat to me.

Quote:

Perhaps instead of attacking the developers you could offer constructive information (such as the hardware you have that creates problems).

I'm not attacking the developers at all.

All the problems with isolinux are well known and allready reported. A workarround would be to use the well working floppy emulation AKA el-torrido.

It's not a bug, that Gentoo comes with half-brewed isolinux. I guess, it's a well made (wrong in my opinion) decision. So there is no need to report anything.

After all, I'm absolutly happy with Gentoo as a whole. And thatswhy it's so frustrating, that the installer is such a mess.

But it's not such a big issue since I'm able to create my own el-torrido busy-box based install iso now.

I just don't understand, why Gentoo has not been able to do the same.

Anon
klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2002 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, enough trolling. Original question (where to find ISO) has been asked and answered.

Locking thread.

--kurt
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Duplicate Threads All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: