Trouble Executing SWAT 4 Under WINE...
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FireDemonSiC
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 4:08 am    Post subject: Trouble Executing SWAT 4 Under WINE... Reply with quote

Well, this might not be the best suited place to ask this, but I couldn't really think of any other place so I'll give it a shot.

Before I made the move to linux, me and a few other guys were big into SWAT 4 and would play routinely. I thought I'd be able to get it to work under WINE, however I'm running into a bit of a problem. I have read on winehq the game database page for SWAT 4 and several people, about 2 or 3 of them Gentoo users gave it a gold award saying it installed and played perfectly. I was previously using WINE 0.9.39 and when I would try to launch the installer, it would give me an error message and then exit. Now I have upgraded to the most recent version (0.9.44) and the install couldn't have gone better. However, now when I try to execute the EXE file, it gives me an error message which states:

Quote:
Missing startup.ini file

UNKNOWN: appInit

And upon clicking OK, falls back to the WINE desktop. Attempting to execute the dedicated server executable gives a similar result. There is a file called "Startup.ini" in the same folder as the EXE files and I tried renaming it to "startup.ini" to make sure it wasn't a case sensitive problem, but it still does the same thing. I am using SWAT 4 UK version V1.1 (Just to clarify v1.1 was the version that was indicated in the game database)[/quote] and for the record, I have also tried installing and launching the game from Cedega and it does the exact same thing.

Any help is greatly appreciated and thanks in advance.
FireDemonSiC
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhh N/M I figured out the problem and am kinda embarassed as to the simplicity of the fix. You must first cd into the EXE directory then execute the Swat4.exe with the wine command. So now all I have to do is whip up a shell script that does this.

One more question though. You guys probably get asked this alot but I am unable to find a definitive answer. Does Wine support Pixel Shaders V2.0? The game looks a bit washed without bump maps enabled and also how do I go about enabling AA and Af within wine (That is if it even supports it)?
kmare
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AFAIK Pixel Shaders V2.0 are supported depending of course on your video card. Just run winecfg and check the option "Allow Pixel Shader (if supported by hardware)" under the Graphics section. As for AA and Af, if you have a nvidia gfx, you could run nvidia-settings and override the application AA/Af settings from there.
FireDemonSiC
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah. I figured out I could force AA and AF in the nvidia panel.

As for the Pixel Shaders, well... I noticed that box first thing when I opened winecfg, and checking it caused about 90% of the screen in the game to be rendered solid black (Evidently this same thing happened in my native linux install of Quake 4 last night when I placed the wrong interaction.vpl file in the q4base folder when trying to install a graphical tweak), which leads me to believe either a file is missing or the OpenGL system is not rendering the pixels properly.

If anyone knows what the deal is with this strange glitch I would appreciate the help. Thanks.

EDIT: Also, I am experiencing another rather strange problem within SWAT 4. My best guess wouldbe that it is some kind of Mouse Wrapping error. I can make my character do a full 360 degree turn in either direction, but once he hits the same point that I started the turn from, it will not allow to to turn in that direction anymore. Same goes for both right and left. Think of it kind of as turning the steering wheel on a car. This sounds like some sort of mouse wrapping error to me. And I never had this kind of problem within windows so it must be some setting within wine. Is there a registry key I must edit for this?
kmare
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well i'm not sure about the specific game, but some games can switch between the 2 renders, opengl or direct3D. See if you can do that, it might help you a lot.
FireDemonSiC
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FTR SWAT 4 uses only D3D, but I did figure out what the problem was for anyone else experiencing this bug. If you want to use PS2.0 in SWAT 4 with wine you MUST set the Glow Detail to "Off" otherwise the game will be unplayable because of this rendering error. You can do this by editing the Swat4.ini file in the /Content/System folder and changing the GlowDetail value to "Off".

Now, all that is left to figure out is how to fix the mouse "warping" issue. Apparently, a function call that SWAT 4 produces results in a fixed warping bug and also alot of the time will cause Wine to "loose track" of the mouse meaning that you can't move around in the game at all. You have to ~ and then Quit.

I found a fix for it on WineHQ, but the fix was only posted as the actual code. No one ever said what to do with it.

Code:

--- dlls/dinput/mouse.c.orig   2007-08-25 00:00:00.000000000 +0300
+++ dlls/dinput/mouse.c   2007-08-25 00:00:15.000000000 +0300
@@ -293,7 +293,7 @@
                 wdata = pt1.y;
             }

-            This->need_warp = (pt.x || pt.y) && dwCoop & DISCL_EXCLUSIVE;
+            This->need_warp = (pt.x || pt.y);
             break;
         }
         case WM_MOUSEWHEEL:

Can anyone figure out what I'm supposed to do with this? Thanks.
FireDemonSiC
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One more thing worth noting.

Make sure Dynamic Shadows are set to either Medium, Low or Off. Setting them to high will cause strange graphical glitches such as sprites dissapearing when viewed from a certain angle.
ysangkok
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FireDemonSiC wrote:
FTR SWAT 4 uses only D3D, but I did figure out what the problem was for anyone else experiencing this bug. If you want to use PS2.0 in SWAT 4 with wine you MUST set the Glow Detail to "Off" otherwise the game will be unplayable because of this rendering error. You can do this by editing the Swat4.ini file in the /Content/System folder and changing the GlowDetail value to "Off".

Now, all that is left to figure out is how to fix the mouse "warping" issue. Apparently, a function call that SWAT 4 produces results in a fixed warping bug and also alot of the time will cause Wine to "loose track" of the mouse meaning that you can't move around in the game at all. You have to ~ and then Quit.

I found a fix for it on WineHQ, but the fix was only posted as the actual code. No one ever said what to do with it.

Code:

--- dlls/dinput/mouse.c.orig   2007-08-25 00:00:00.000000000 +0300
+++ dlls/dinput/mouse.c   2007-08-25 00:00:15.000000000 +0300
@@ -293,7 +293,7 @@
                 wdata = pt1.y;
             }

-            This->need_warp = (pt.x || pt.y) && dwCoop & DISCL_EXCLUSIVE;
+            This->need_warp = (pt.x || pt.y);
             break;
         }
         case WM_MOUSEWHEEL:

Can anyone figure out what I'm supposed to do with this? Thanks.

You have to download the Wine sourcecode, then unpack it, and then place the patch in the source directory.

You can at that time patch the specific file if you run "patch -p0 < my_downloaded_patch.patch".

Sorry for the bump.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: