Minimal install with remote compile?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ciaranm
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2003 11:19 pm    Post subject: Minimal install with remote compile? Reply with quote

I'm building (or rather, thinking about building) a completely silent Gentoo box that'll play mp3s, DivX and so on. I'll probably be going for a Via EPIA ME6000 (600MHz CPU), with the actual files being pulled over the network and cached in either ramdisk or flash. I'm planning to boot off compactflash (via a cf -> ide converter), which effectively limits me to 1GByte of disk.

I won't be doing the actual compiling on this box -- instead, I'll pull out the CF as necessary and do the builds on a machine with lots of memory, swap and /tmp space. I probably won't keep /usr/portage on the machine either. So... What can I fit in 1GByte? Will I be able to put X on? Is Gentoo even the best distribution to use?

Oh, and is CompactFlash RAID a totally insane idea? :)
ckdake
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2003 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep in mind the 10,000 rewrite limit on CF (if i remember correctly). Dont put a swap file on a CF disk or you are in for it.
ciaranm
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2003 11:32 pm    Post subject: Swap? What's swap? Reply with quote

ckdake wrote:
Keep in mind the 10,000 rewrite limit on CF (if i remember correctly). Dont put a swap file on a CF disk or you are in for it.

I'm hoping I won't need swap... 512MBytes should be enough if I'm not compiling anything...
ckdake
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2003 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I guess I don't know what to recommend. Just put /var/portage an all that somewhere else. I just know I want to know why the heck my minimal install with Apache2, mysql, phpbb, and a gallery takes up 1.6 gigs with all the source files deleted and no portage tree (/home is on another drive so no data is included in that 1.6GB total.

A CF Raid Array sounds like a very sweet thing indeed. Get you up to 3 gigs or so and you should definitely be fine.

Post back know how it goes, I want to make a underclocked fanless box that boots off a CF an has no moving parts to do some things, I know that Gentoo isn't the best bet, there are plenty itty bitty linux distributions out there, but I do have a thing for gentoo.

[edit] found some more junk on there, source code, duplicates, etc, and got it down to 1.06 GB... getting very close.[/edit]
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: