Need to move to 1.2 ISO officially
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DesertMadman
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2002 5:51 am    Post subject: Need to move to 1.2 ISO officially Reply with quote

The portage on 1.1a ISO is no longer supported, and enough of the stuff on the stage 1-3 is aged out as well (old kernel, etc).

I was bragging to a friend about how snappy Gentoo was, but I installed the day 1.1.a was oficially announced. He tried the install off my CD, and said it failed (it was portage that failed - I walked him thru the manual process).

When will 1.2 be updated and oficially supported - and the "current" ISOs be changed to 1.2 instead of the 1.1a? (And the 1.1a and older stuff be deprecated).

I know Gentoo 2.0 is going to wait on Portage 2.0, but can we at least have an interim release to bring up the "default" ISO's to current standards (2.4.19 kernel, KDE3, latest portage, etc)?
Cr0t
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2002 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds good to me. I installed gentoo on my Laptop and I was running into a portage problem...
fghellar
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2002 6:41 am    Post subject: Re: Need to move to 1.2 ISO officially Reply with quote

DesertMadman wrote:
The portage on 1.1a ISO is no longer supported

Where did you get this info from? Portage versions 1.8.8 and earlier are indeed no longer supported, but the 1.1a iso comes with version 1.8.18.

DesertMadman wrote:
and enough of the stuff on the stage 1-3 is aged out as well (old kernel, etc).

Aged out? As soon as you run emerge rsync, you are able to install the latest version of any package.

DesertMadman wrote:
He tried the install off my CD, and said it failed (it was portage that failed - I walked him thru the manual process).

What do you mean, it was portage that failed? Are you sure it was not your friend who failed? For example, in not changing the rsync mirror?

DesertMadman wrote:
When will 1.2 be updated and oficially supported - and the "current" ISOs be changed to 1.2 instead of the 1.1a? (And the 1.1a and older stuff be deprecated).

Why do you need 1.2? Are you planning to install everything again?
Zu`
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2002 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with fghellar

Change your rsync mirror properly in /etc/make.conf and you won't have any problems with Portage. As for 1.1a not being up-to-date, emerge rsync makes it up-to-date!

There's not really a reason to use 1.2 instead of 1.1a and I guess that's why there are no ISO's!
I've installed with 1.1a fine here.

Anyway, good luck with your gentoo box but read a bit first.

Greets
lx
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2002 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zu` wrote:
There's not really a reason to use 1.2 instead of 1.1a and I guess that's why there are no ISO's!
Greets

check http://www.ibiblio.org/gentoo/releases/build/ 1.2 isos are there. Used them myself, text is just outdated. I normally check if there are new releases by checking the directory, before using a link to download the supposed latest version, :wink:
fghellar
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2002 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lx wrote:
check http://www.ibiblio.org/gentoo/releases/build/ 1.2 isos are there.

There are only tbz2 files there, no isos (yet)...
lx
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2002 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fghellar wrote:
There are only tbz2 files there, no isos (yet)...

Me and my big mouth, your right,....... :lol: (well you can use the old iso to boot and use the tbz2 from disk (that's what I did, now I remember) or just use wget to get the file). If you still need a special kernel or something, there's a post about making your own bootable cd using SYSLINUX,.......................

Cya lX.
arkane
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2002 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zu` wrote:
I agree with fghellar

Change your rsync mirror properly in /etc/make.conf and you won't have any problems with Portage. As for 1.1a not being up-to-date, emerge rsync makes it up-to-date!

Anyway, good luck with your gentoo box but read a bit first.

Greets

What happens when someone who hasn't been following this whole thread of the rsync server change (a *new* user) and tries to install Gentoo. Bang... just lost a new user, and just about every new user because everyone not "in the know" has no idea that you have to "just change this one variable in the /etc/make.conf and it'll work".

I completely forgot about the whole rsync server change, and here I was ready to jump onto my new system in a few days and do a Gentoo install. That would have been like a new user installing, and I can almost bet I would have been hacking at my networking figuring I'm at fault somewhere and in the background it is really a variable with improper information in it by default.

My opinion is, why really create a new iso when you can change the current one that is available to the public... it's the same version just a different rsync server, so technically it's the same version. Well, maybe change the 1.1a to 1.1b or something.
wbward
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2002 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, although I agree the Install instructions should be updated, I feel like if a "new user" can't search and over come the Portage / Rsync / Sync problem he probably is better off giving up there and finding a different distro. Gentoo isn't for those folks that need a hand holding step by step install (IMO) its for those people with brains enough to figure it out themselves. This distro gives all the power to the administrator with that power comes the price tag (you have to know how to use it). Personally I love Gentoo it challenges me to work at making things right instead of giving things too me that are so generic that they will no doubt work anywhere (just terribly slow and bloated).

Just my 2cents and a personal opinion...

wbward
fghellar
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2002 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

arkane wrote:
What happens when someone who hasn't been following this whole thread of the rsync server change (a *new* user) and tries to install Gentoo. Bang... just lost a new user, and just about every new user because everyone not "in the know" has no idea that you have to "just change this one variable in the /etc/make.conf and it'll work".

Why shouldn't the instructions contained in Section 10 of the install doc be enough?
DesertMadman
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2002 7:22 pm    Post subject: I think you guys missed my point Reply with quote

Well, my whole point wasnt that *I* needed an update (Running Gentoo you learn a TON about the way Linux really works - or doesnt :wink: ), its that new users might need one.

The whole point is to get people using a source based Linux distribution, not to be snobs about how well we can overcome deficiencies in the setup CD. After all, "truly elite hackers" :twisted: would not use a "distro", they'd be using a "roll your own" LFS setup with patches and mods all over the place, and if you want to mess with setups and quirks that stand in the way of customizing things, RedHat has a distro just for you. :lol:

What I was looking for had to be (when conservatively managed) as solid as Mandrake, versatile as Slackware, and somewhere between Debian and LFS in terms of a "cutting edge" distribution. And it had to be source based so I could make it as fast or stable (sometime mutually exclusive) as I wanted.

Gentoo gives me almost 100% on all those things I wanted. And to the "if they cant look it up they shouldnt use Gentoo", thats a pretty poor and elitist attitude to take toward potential comrades and Gentoo converts. :? Everyone that converts to Gentoo has to be a "noob" to this distro at some time - no sense it making it uneccesarily hard due to snobbery or "eliteness".

I'd prefer the distribution to convert more users, even if it means something as "non-elitist" as maintaining a monthly or quarterly "current ISO" builds for stage 1 thru 3 (kinda like the Debian rsync image builder). For new users, make the setup and install up to date and fairly reliable, THEN let them learn the intracacies of running a source based linux meta-distro.

IMHO, Gentoo is not about the setup, its about what happens afterward. So lets fix the setup to keep up.
Target
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2002 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not going to take some kind of emotional stance here, but I have to agree on one point:

Nothing should be broken by default. It's easily avoidable, and should be.
fghellar
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2002 12:36 am    Post subject: Re: I think you guys missed my point Reply with quote

DesertMadman wrote:
And to the "if they cant look it up they shouldnt use Gentoo", thats a pretty poor and elitist attitude to take toward potential comrades and Gentoo converts. :? Everyone that converts to Gentoo has to be a "noob" to this distro at some time - no sense it making it uneccesarily hard due to snobbery or "eliteness".

I totally agree with you in this point. But if you read through the forums, you'll see that at least 80% of the questions people post here (myself included) could be answered by just reading the documentation or searching older messages. It's not about "eliteness", but about "lazyness"...
Al'Capone
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2002 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uhmm... i think Desertman has one valid point here folks "if my friend John Doe only has one computer and I give him the Gentoo ISO he is pretty much SOL , since after booting and fdisk his machine or should i say his hda is gonzo no data How is he going to search the forums for the relevant info on changing the rsync mirrors?

Geeks like us with 3 or more computers have no problems :P i ususally install gentoo while having all relevant docs displayed on my other computers for quick reference checking, however not everyone has more than one computer and in that case the new user will be lost since the current ISO does have the wrong rsync mirrors listed.

a quick solution is to modify the current ISO to reflect the changes and then hand it over to your friend or print out the instructions on how to change your rsync mirrors and give it to your friend with the ISO that way everyone is happy :wink:

Hope that helped

Cheers
Scandium
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2002 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, since today 1.2 ISOs are really there but I'd suggest to wait as perhaps they change something again before they officially announce it (very unlikely IMHO because the tbz2's weren't changed for weeks, too)
klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2002 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Target wrote:
Nothing should be broken by default. It's easily avoidable, and should be.

That's a fairly myopic viewpoint, dontcha think? Sure, preventing things from being broken are easily avoidable, if you have all the time in the world. However, when dealing with the real world, where time is precious commodity, you have to prioritize things. Some times, that means leaving things broken for a time while working on something that is more important to the overall success of the project.

The rsync issue came about because of the recent explosion in the popularity of Gentoo. It was poorly handled -- no argument. But it was also completely unexpected, so the developers did the best they could and asked people to be patient. These things are called "growing pains" and every single project of any size and scale has them.

--kurt
fghellar
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2002 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Al'Capone wrote:
Uhmm... i think Desertman has one valid point here folks "if my friend John Doe only has one computer and I give him the Gentoo ISO he is pretty much SOL , since after booting and fdisk his machine or should i say his hda is gonzo no data How is he going to search the forums for the relevant info on changing the rsync mirrors?

a quick solution is to modify the current ISO to reflect the changes and then hand it over to your friend or print out the instructions on how to change your rsync mirrors and give it to your friend with the ISO that way everyone is happy :wink:

A better solution is to have a printed copy of the Installation Instructions before you start messing around with your computer. I have installed Gentoo myself several times, and I still need and use that doc. It has been updated and contains all the relevant information. There's no need to search the forums if you get the docs.

A good rule to follow is: just as often as you update your portage tree (emerge rsync), check for updates in the documentation too. And read it!
AutoBot
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2002 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys checked out gcc3 based 1.3a iso's out now?, I downloaded the stage 1 and it seems to bootstrap ok but thats about far as I've been since my time is limited lately.
rasmus
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2002 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, a few words about the rsync issue. I ran into it and felt bad about it. After all, I'd just blown up my perfeclty working slackware-based gateway so I could install some new bleeding edge distro on it, so I was without internet. But really, it's not that much of an issue, I guessed that there should be a machine called rsync.gentoo.org or so, and it did! After all, you gentoo folks could wery well have called it gonzo.gentoo.org or gentoo.microsoft.com :) or something like that, in which case all would have been lost.

AutoBot wrote:
You guys checked out gcc3 based 1.3a iso's out now?, I downloaded the stage 1 and it seems to bootstrap ok but thats about far as I've been since my time is limited lately.

I'm probably stupid now, but do I need a new iso to install 1.3? I thought emerge -u system would do it for me once gcc3 becomes unmasked?
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2002 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rasmus wrote:
I'm probably stupid now, but do I need a new iso to install 1.3? I thought emerge -u system would do it for me once gcc3 becomes unmasked?

Code:
# ln -sf /usr/portage/profiles/default-1.0-gcc3 /etc/make.profile

AutoBot
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2002 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rasmus wrote:
First, a few words about the rsync issue. I ran into it and felt bad about it. After all, I'd just blown up my perfeclty working slackware-based gateway so I could install some new bleeding edge distro on it, so I was without internet. But really, it's not that much of an issue, I guessed that there should be a machine called rsync.gentoo.org or so, and it did! After all, you gentoo folks could wery well have called it gonzo.gentoo.org or gentoo.microsoft.com :) or something like that, in which case all would have been lost.

AutoBot wrote:

As you see I posted that over a month ago and have been running 1.3 happily everysince, anyway you will be able to emerge --update world sometime in the future and be upgraded to gcc 3.1 yes.
AutoBot
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2002 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rac wrote:
rasmus wrote:

Code:
# ln -sf /usr/portage/profiles/default-1.0-gcc3 /etc/make.profile

I think was just wondering if gentoo will eventually be upgraded automatically to gcc3.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: