Unexplainable USE additions
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
t011
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 2:18 am    Post subject: Unexplainable USE additions Reply with quote

I was quickly checking my the USE flags set for my system by using the 'emerge info' command and noticed a couple of extra flags I didn't think were default for my platform, nor set by myself in /etc/make.conf. So to double check I printed out and compared the different places you can set the USE variables. I found 4 USE variables that were not set any where I could find. They were tetex, guile, perl, and esd. Here is a copy of the pertinent files:

/etc/make.profile/make.defaults is actually a symlink to /usr/portage/profiles/default-x86-1.4/make.defaults
Code:
USE="x86 oss 3dnow apm arts avi berkdb crypt cups encode foomaticdb gdbm gif gpm gtk imlib java jpeg kde gnome libg++ libwww mad mikmod mmx motif mpeg ncurses nls oggvorbis opengl pam pdflib png python qt quicktime readline sdl slang spell ssl svga tcpd truetype X xml2 xmms xv zlib"

/etc/make.conf
Code:
USE="-3dnow -apm -nls alsa apache2 cdr directfb doc fbcon flash maildir mozilla pda sse"

The previous two should net out, but the resulting output from 'emerge info' contains 4 extra variables:
Code:
USE="x86 oss avi crypt cups encode foomaticdb gif gpm jpeg gnome libg++ mad mikmod mmx mpeg ncurses pdflib png quicktime spell truetype xml2 xmms xv zlib gdbm berkdb slang readline arts tetex svga java guile X sdl tcpd pam libwww ssl perl python esd imlib oggvorbis gtk qt kde motif opengl -3dnow -apm -nls alsa apache2 cdr directfb doc fbcon flash maildir mozilla pda sse"

Does anybody have any idea why I'd have those 4 additional USE variables set? Thanks for any help.
jkcunningham
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My guess is you are mistaken about what is default. Those are all very basic USE flags that would cripple alot of things if they were off.

-Jeff
t011
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not really sure what you mean by "mistaken". The code snippets from my previous post were taken verbatim from the attributed files on my machine. They were cut and paste, exactly, no typos. If your suggesting that there may be other places where the USE settings could be set, that's the kind of thing I'd like to know. That's basically the question I'm asking.

I found this other thread on the forums which seems to allude to the same issue I'm having. Although they don't get to the heart of the matter, which is where are these mysterious extra USE variables set.
Genone
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any chance you have these packages installed:
Code:

app-text/tetex
dev-util/guile
dev-lang/perl
media-sound/esound

I remember I read about a feature in portage where USE flags were set depending on installed packages, don't know if this is the case here (and I've never seen this feature working on my systems). It's just a wild guess.
jkcunningham
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2003 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best way I know to see (and change) what's set is to use ufed. I'm not sure I understand what your problem is. There are USE flags set that you haven't set and are not (supposed) to be defaults?
Genone
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2003 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't trust ufed, it has at least one severe bug if you set USE="-*" (bug 24670). It's a nice UI, but unusable for me with this bug.
t011
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2003 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Genone wrote:
Any chance you have these packages installed:
Code:
app-text/tetex
dev-util/guile
dev-lang/perl
media-sound/esound

Yeah, I have all four of them installed. But that's not surprising since "emerge info" lists all four as USE variables.

jkcunningham wrote:
I'm not sure I understand what your problem is. There are USE flags set that you haven't set and are not (supposed) to be defaults?

Correct, my problem is that there are 4 USE variables that are set on my system, but that are neither default USE variables nor USE variables I have set myself. As I understand portage and USE variables, there is only one place in which the default USE variables are set. That is /etc/make.profile/make.defaults which is actually a symlink to /usr/portage/profiles/default-x86-1.4/make.defaults. Then, if I want to edit the default USE variables, I do that in /etc/make.conf. You could also temporarily edit your USE settings from the command line. But I rarely do that and that's not the problem in this situation. So the net USE variables should be the defaults plus my additions or subtractions. But that's not the case. There are 4 USE variables set, that neither I nor the default settings set. I'm trying to figure out why they're set and from where.
Genone
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2003 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe ufed can help you, it shows which file activated a use flag.
t011
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2003 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I tried out ufed and I guess I now know where these USE variables are being set from. All four plus others are listed in /etc/make.profile/use.defaults. The man page for ufed says:
Quote:
UFED attempts to show you where a particular use setting came from. Each USE flag has a 3 character descriptor that represents the three ways a use flag can be set.

The 1st char is the setting from the /etc/make.profile/make.defaults file. These are the defaults for Gentoo as a whole. These should not be changed.

The 2nd char is the setting from the /etc/make.profile/use.defaults file. These will change as packages are added and removes from the system.

The 3rd char is the settings from the /etc/make.conf file. these are the only ones that should be changed by the user and these are the ones that UFED changes.

So I guess these four mysterious USE variables were automatically added to the use.defaults file as packages were added to the system. But it begs the question, what if I wanted to get rid of one of these packages, how would I do that? Would the USE variable be automatically removed from use.defaults? Specifically, I'm really second-guessing why I need perl and the ~5 million different libraries that seem to get installed every other day because I have the perl USE variable set. I don't know perl, I'm not going to use perl when I've already got python, and I'm much more familiar with it.

Thanks for the help figuring this out. Now I just have to figure out what to do with the info.
Genone
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2003 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should wait until bug 24670 is resolved, as it is currently unclear what the correct portage behavior is. They might get deactivated, but if you have packages compiled with these flags active they might break.
t011
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2003 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One last observation. There are many USE variables list in my /etc/make.profile/use.defaults that don't actually show up in "emerge info". So the USE settings in use.defaults must only be applicable if the package is actually installed. Is any of this actually documented in the portage manual? If it is, I don't remember it.
Genone
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2003 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look at the bug I mentioned, it is explained there. I have seen this behavior somewhere in the docs but until now I've never seen it. As I said the current state is not completely clear.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: